• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Time stamp is 3m 45s if it doesn't work.

If it is I'm not surprised at rice losing at the carbs poll in that carbs thread.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Love this video. I was reading the reddit thread and apparently this is a legit method to cook rice? I didn't know different kinds of rice required different cooking methods.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow that is soaked rice. That bad. My tried and true dumbass method was always 2 cups water to 1 cup rice, heat in simmer pot for 20 minutes after boil. No water left and rice has decent texture.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I think most do, I've seen many people draining their rice. But not everybody.

I don't have a rice cooker, but I won't cook rice with too much water.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like an Asian guy doing an Asian stereotype? Is this just some offensive character he plays?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Ayyyy, omg, ya'll are killing me. Not only draining rice but also running it under cold water after to stop it from cooking. I'm dead. Who cooks like this?

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

lord

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I always have water left over in my rice. Otherwise I use too little and the bottom is just a solid crispy rice layer. It still tastes good imo

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I cook my rice in a pot, but thats weird to have to drain it. 1 cup rice, 1 1/2 cup water. Bring water to boil, put rice in, reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes. Thats it, and theres no draining.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Alison Roman has a similar (heinous) way of cooking rice... which...

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I gasped and I almost never cook rice. Can't imagine how disgusted that guy must feel, and that feeling is well-justified.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I mean, I shouldn't be surprised people can't cook rice correctly but... I guess I am.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm Hispanic, so I have a rice cooker. But I have, in desperate circumstances, cooked rice on the stove. I have never misjudged the amount of water required so severely as that. Dude is right, you just gotta throw that batch out.

Fray

Oct 28, 2017
VanIsle, BC
No. I soak my rice for 30 minutes in cold water then drain. Then melt butter in a pot add garlic, salt and turn to high.
Once butter is hot, put rice into the pot and give a quick flash fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Add 1.5x water to rice. Bring to aggressive boil uncovered while stirring. Cover rice, turn heat to lowest setting and cook for 10-12 minutes.
Turn off heat, add more butter/seasonings and cover for additional 10-15.
Fluff with fork and enjoy.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, that was legit traumatic. I had to rewatch it to ensure that she in fact was "cooking" the rice and not rinsing it. This is horrible.

I gotta watch this whole cursed video now. OP, I hope you're happy.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Love this video. I was reading the reddit thread and apparently this is a legit method to cook rice? I didn't know different kinds of rice required different cooking methods.

It's only a "legit method" if its wild rice or some rice with a tough bran that requires very long cooking time

She didn't do a single thing correctly in this video

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't have a rice cooker, I just make it in a pot on the stove. It really isn't tough. If you've go to drain your rice you had too much damn water.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Wet rice is disgusting. I always rinse the rice, then let it soak in water for 20 minutes. Then pour out the water, cook up water and down the rice go and let it simmer until not a single drop of water is left.

Sometimes I use a little different way when I want to add some flavour to the rice, but above technique is the basic way I learned it.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like she's doing this backwards...you'd use a rice strainer to wash the rice first but she's using it on cooked rice?? i am confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.