• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
r2cbpjP.png

IuqLeJs.png

3Ef5LrL.png

CvktLpM.png

upIVJT3.png

oLGH2IZ.png

i went to by RE Village and almost got swindled into buying that deluxe edition before realizing this trend. now it ends up being cheaper than a regularly priced standard edition but it also comes with several dollars worth of crap i don't want and it's still more expensive than the the discounted standard editions on Steam.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this has been going on for a while. i wanted to buy god of war 2018 on sale last year but only the deluxe would go on sale.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe sony sets the prices on other publisher's games.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
this is not exclusive to Sony. Ubisoft (not now but in the past) also discounts their Gold and Ultimate Versions sometimes while leaving the Standard version untouched. That is on their own store and on the consoles

Also aren't discounts usually in the hands of Publishers?

with the amount of sales throughout the year you'll probably have to wait like 2 weeks for the next sale which includes your version

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arrogant Sony now telling publishers to set their own prices, where will it stop?

/s

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Interesting connection for sure anyway

But, they're not allowed to dictate pricing; only encourage promos

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Lol what? If you are buying it at a point and only the Deluxe is on sale, get that one? Unless the Deluxe is so much more where it makes the standard sku seem so much cheaper?

Plus I've seen standard editions on sale and sometimes not the Deluxe so it works both ways. I dont think this is an issue at all.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
None of those are Sony's games. You can't seriously believe Sony control a publisher like Capcom's pricing in a digital market place?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
but why only on PS Store and not Steam? still outrageous.
Cause sales don't sync up. If you look at something like Persona 5 Royal, you can see they seemingly alternate which version to put on sale, etc:

en.psprices.com

Persona 5 Royal

Price drop in official PlayStation Store store for Persona 5 Royal
en.psprices.com

Persona 5 Royal Deluxe Edition

Price drop in official PlayStation Store store for Persona 5 Royal Deluxe Edition

I imagine this is how the other games are working too.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
These prices are set by publishers. Like if you look Sims 4 for example, which is on sale on Steam it is also on sale for the same price at the PS Store (ie EA is doing a sale for both platforms but apparently Capcom is not)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I just bought base Olli Olli World at 23$, tried to see if it was cheaper on Xbox (it has localized prices in my country) but no, it was full price.
I think Sifu deluxe was discounted at launch while base game wasn't.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
but why only on PS Store and not Steam? still outrageous.

Sales aren't simultaneous across platforms, it's always been that way.. Looking at the Xbox store, both the standard and deluxe of RE Village are full price, whilst LIS:TC has a discount for both editions.

Edit: As for why, they are largely separate communities thus whatever analytics/metrics/decisions publishers implement for discounts are different per platform.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Standard goes on sale all the time, especially for all RE games. Some times the bundle is on sale, or some time the individual games are on sale, same with the game DLC. Its an all year around thing, just need to wait for a specific sale to get what you want.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everyone keeps pointing out these games have nothing to do with Sony, which is true, but the devs of Obra Dinn have said that Sony wouldnt allow them to put their game on sale on Playstation, so it's potentially possible.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for that Alex Chen and Ellie crossover game. The Life Of Us Is Strange is gonna be sick. Sony's on fire.

OP
OP
ItIsOkBro

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fine change the title to "Sony storefront" the point still stands

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I don't even see the point here. If the deluxe version is cheaper than the standard version, why not just buy the cheapest version instead of going online to cry about the superior version with extra stuff being cheaper than the standard version? I don't even understand what OP is salty for here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's incredible! I imagine it's a conspiracy between Valve and third party publishers to harm Sony. But luckily you uncovered it, OP, unmasking them like a Scooby Do villain.

"No, it can't be", I imagine the top executives of these companies are saying to themselves as they get news of this thread on the highly influential site ResetEra, " our machinations live uncovered! If it only wasn't for those pesky kids, we would still be hurting the competitiveness of the Playstation digital game store. "

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
all my examples are on sale in both storefronts

I mean it doesn't matter. I have plenty of issues with Sony but there is basically no chance Sony is telling third party devs that they should only put the highest price editions on sale. Maybe the devs think that people that own playstations have a habit of being willing to pay more, idk. It could also just be totally random and sale events aren't necessarily the same across storefronts, even if they are the same time. For instance, Capcpom might be planning to put X on a deeper discount in a few weeks, and is planning to be part of some other promotion on Playstation at a time that there is nothing yet scheduled for Steam, and only want to have the product at price X a certain number of times in a period so as not to completely devalue the product, idk. Endless possible reasons before jumping to 'Sony grift'. I think Sony has some restrictions on the number of times you can put a product on sale in a certain window as well, so that would be consistent with this sort of behavior.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
r2cbpjP.png

IuqLeJs.png

3Ef5LrL.png

CvktLpM.png

upIVJT3.png

oLGH2IZ.png

i went to by RE Village and almost got swindled into buying that deluxe edition before realizing this trend. now it ends up being cheaper than a regularly priced standard edition but it also comes with several dollars worth of crap i don't want and it's still more expensive than the the discounted standard editions on Steam.

Clearly Ubisoft didn't get the memo, as BOTH standard & deluxe editions of AC Valhalla are on sale for 60% off. Absolute amateurs.

Edit: Off topic but wtf they didn't even put the complete edition on sale, it's 140-fucking-dollars.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't exclusive to Sony and it isn't new either.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Man I hope the word "grift" dies in popularity soon. Went from describing unethical, scummy behavior for monetary gain to a catch-all, reactionary term for "I don't like this thing."

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
You can look at the price history for each region. Last month the deluxe version was more expensive, when the regular version was on sale.

psdeals.net

Resident Evil Village PS4 and PS5 PS5 / PS4 — buy online and track price history — PS Deals Canada

Track price history and check current deals in Official PlayStation Store Canada for Resident Evil Village PS4 and PS5 PS5 / PS4 (Full Game)
psdeals.net

Resident Evil Village Deluxe Edition PS4 and PS5 PS5 / PS4 — buy online and track price history — PS Deals Canada

Track price history and check current deals in Official PlayStation Store Canada for Resident Evil Village Deluxe Edition PS4 and PS5 PS5 / PS4 (Bundle)

Status
Not open for further replies.