• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you pick a smaller SSD over a larger HDD?

• Yes. Speed > Quantity

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • No. No one needs that much speed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
México
It's always the HDD.

My in-laws have a pretty old computer. I'm not joking, the PC has an old Intel VIIV processor (from 2005... 14 years old) with 2 GB of RAM. They can't afford to purchase a new computer right now, so I bought them a 240 PNY SSD from Best Buy for Christmas. I installed the SSD, did a clean install of Windows 7, and it literally gave the computer a second life. The SSD is capped at SATA II speeds (no SATA III and of course no nVME), and even still the computer feels great for what it is.

SSDs are the single largest performance upgrade that computers have seen in the past 15 years. It's a night and day difference.

It makes computers that were unusable, or on the brink of unusability suddenly a computer that could not only be usable, but like, not awful at all. As long as you don't game too heavy or play modern games. It breathes so much new life into systems.

If you have to pick between a computer with a 2TB HDD or a computer with 256GB SSD, go for the SSD. Always.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They've definitely come down in price, although if you want multiple terabytes of space and don't want to spend a fortune you'll generally end up with a boot SSD and some storage hard drives.

I've got a 500GB SSD paired with three 2TB drives for less crucial games and storage.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Whenever family members/neighbors/friends ask me to look at their computer and see if it can be upgraded, this is the first thing I suggest. My old-ass Dell Vostro laptop from 2007 lasted me 10 years thanks mainly to an SSD upgrade.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019, you would have to be a damn dinosaur not to know the advantage of SSD.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Always the HDD?"

Seems like a lot of time it's the result of cumulatively installing a bunch of applications that decide they need to run their "helper" apps upon startup, thus meaning that even after a reboot there's a dozen or more useless processes taking up memory and processing cycles.

Plus there's the fact that Firefox starting consuming 1-2GB of RAM even after a relatively short time browsing. Why does the web browser need so much memory when it always insists on reloading pages instead of using cached versions?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I already have the latest nvme.

FirsthandPoliteGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Always the HDD?"

Seems like a lot of time it's the result of cumulatively installing a bunch of applications that decide they need to run their "helper" apps upon startup, thus meaning that even after a reboot there's a dozen or more useless processes taking up memory and processing cycles.

Plus there's the fact that Firefox starting consuming 1-2GB of RAM even after a relatively short time browsing. Why does the web browser need so much memory when it always insists on reloading pages instead of using cached versions?

nah

it's the HHD

Status
Not open for further replies.