• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...sef-fares-it-takes-two-game-awards-interview/

Fares could not say what Hazelight's next game is, but he was happy to elaborate on what it's definitely not. While many video game publishers are diving into the deep ends of live-service games and NFTs — games that encourage players to spend money via endless updates and controversial "non-fungible tokens" that utilize the blockchain to confer ownership, respectively — Fares emphasized that the buzzword-laden zeitgeist is not for him.
"Live service? We'll never have that," he said. "People can work with that, and I'm not saying replayability is bad for every game. Some games are actually designed for it. I'm just saying [for] the games we do — story-based games, most single-player games — the focus on replayability shouldn't be there because that's not what it's about. We already have a problem that people are not even finishing single-player experience games, so why focus on replayability?"

Fares had even harsher words for NFTs, saying that he'd rather get "shot in the knee" than include them in future games.

"Let me tell you this: Whatever decision you take in a game, where you have to adjust the design to make the player pay or do something that makes you want him to pay money, that is wrong, if you ask me. If you make a game [with the goal of telling] a story, I think it's wrong," Fares said. "Now, if you ask a big CEO that runs a company, he would say I'm stupid because companies are about making money. But I would still say no. For me, gaming is art."

It was two weeks after the game awards but i'm surprised i haven't seen it here.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Andrew Wilson:

katiegotbandz-shooter.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.