• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Inspired by the "et cetera" thread.

The little star symbol: *

It's an asterisk, not an asterix.

Whenever I listen to a podcast and this word comes up, most people, even those otherwise very literate and well-spoken, mispronounce it.

This is Asterix:

Asterix.jpg

His name is wordplay: Asterix sounds like asterisk, and he is the star of the comics.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Switching sk sounds for ks is a common feature of Southern American dialects and claiming they're wrong by default has very elitist connotations.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inspired by the "et cetera" thread.

The little star symbol: *

It's an asterisk, not an asterix.

Whenever I listen to a podcast and this word comes up, most people, even those otherwise very literate and well-spoken, mispronounce it.

This is Asterix:

Asterix.jpg

His name is wordplay: Asterix sounds like asterisk, and he is the star of the comics.
He also looks like an asterisk (four limbs + his head = the 5 branches of the *)

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I know we're goin mad from being inside but do we really need a thread for every individual pet peeve?

Is this thread whining?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's a good everybody loves raymond scene about this. i think it's the one where debra's sister comes back and she's a nun?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switching sk sounds for ks is a common feature of Southern American dialects and claiming they're wrong by default has very elitist connotations.
trying to prescribe english language pronunciation rules is hella elitist ngl
If enough people pronounce something wrong, then they're not pronouncing it wrong.

Ten replies in and this thread is already wild. Mixing sk and ks is indeed wrong.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
What are dialects? What is elitism? What is having too much time on your damn hands?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Who knew there were so many perfect people here? Now go after people who write "payed" in reference to spending money.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Well, what else is there? Do we need another "How has Covid19 effected your _______" thread?

My social feeds are breaking down into their foundational components.

Era:
"Our government is on fire"
"I don't like thing"

Twitter:
"Our government is on fire"
THIRST

Instagram:
THIRST

Honestly though I'm surprised Era hasn't devolved into purely polarizing argument threads. Figured with the lockdown environment people would be lookin for a fight and tip/airplane seat/TLJ threads would be tearing this place apart.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For all intensive porpoises, you are defiantly correct, OP!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I heard it a lot growing up. I recognize it's very elitist to complain about it.

Someone once mentioned how it was actually because some of the words actually were pronounced ks hundreds of years ago and lingered on.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
SMH at people calling correct usage "elitism."

"Regional dialects are different" and "language evolves" aren't magical incantations that make errors correct.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't take a linguistic degree from an Ivy to understand that languages and dialects are diverse and complex and that there is no one "correct" usage of words. Instead there are common usages within dialects, and the most prominent dialect may be one that you speak.

It's basic understanding.

Languages evolve, similar to how the word they can be used to describe an individual instead of multiple ones. Double negatives are valid tools for communication within other dialects. Arguing what is "correct" is truly idiotic because the core of the discussion is whether people are understanding each other in conversations.

Elitism rooted in ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.