• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): creating a troll thread and continuing to troll in it over a series of posts
Alfred Matthew Yankovic, better known as "Weird Al" Yankovic, is known for his goofy parody songs but he's touched on some very sensitive topics in the past and I think it's about time we address it. I want to preface this thread by saying that I don't believe Weird Al has ever renounced or spoken out about his previous problematic works so as far as I know he stands by everything he said. I'm going to start by posting some of his lyrics, and I'll explain to you why these are such an issue in 2019.

Eat It, a song by "Weird Al" Yankovic
"I don't care if you're full
Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
Open up your mouth and feed it " (Weird Al)

Binge eating is a serious issue in this country. Am I blaming Al's song "Eat It" for the obesity problem in this country? Not quite, but I think this and the next example are responsible for the obesity problem in this country.

Fat, a song by "Weird Al" Yankovic
"My zippers bust, my buckles break
I'm too much man for you to take
The pavement cracks when I fall down
I've got more chans than Chinatown" (Weird Al)

This one just speaks for itself. Al has found a way to simultaneously encourage innocent American children to overeat while also fat shaming them. When he says he's "too much man for you to take", he is saying that he is too large and should thus not exist. You think I'm done? Not even close.

Young, Dumb, and Ugly, a song by "Weird Al" Yankovic
"'Cause we're young, dumb and ugly
That's what we are
We're so young--young, dumb and ugly
You can't stop us " (Weird Al)

Strange Al continues his rampage against the youth. Not only does he want them fat, not only does he not want them to exist, he thinks they're dumb and ugly as well. "You can't stop us"? Well, not if this guy can help it. It's about time we stop calling this guy the greatest artist of our generation. It's about time we put him in the same group as the Mel Gibsons, the Phil Specters, the Paula Poundstones of the world.

Sources:
"Weird Al" Yankovic – Eat It

"Weird Al" Yankovic – Fat

"Weird Al" Yankovic – Young, Dumb, and Ugly

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
enhanced-15446-1457976375-10.png

Oct 28, 2017
You can't cancel Weird Al

The mans' parents died of carbon monoxide poisoning and he played a show THAT SAME NIGHT.

Everything he does is out of love.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's not.

Stop analyzing any song, film, artist etc. of the past and compare it to today's values or morals.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, a parody thread about Weird Al. This is meta AF.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
IF YOU EVER LAUGHED AT ANY OF HIS SONGS IN THE PAST YOU ARE NOT EVER ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE THEM NOW

/s

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If you going to make a troll thread, you need to be consistent.

Your op is all over the place. :*(

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard offhand that he would, for example, tell the band he's rehearsing with about how offensive the word "midget" is before practicing a song that he wrote with that word in the lyric. Not sure if that's true, but I'd like to double check before saying he hasn't addressed problematic content in his lyrics before.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I will take this opportunity to say that I am seeing Weird Al in concert in a couple weeks for the first time ever. I have been listening to his music for a solid 30 years and I am super excited about it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I mean, the dude isn't even performing Fat or Eat It on his current tour because of the Leaving Neverland accusations. Dude seems more on the level than most, even if some of his past comedy hasn't aged well.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Method Man has a sordid past with obesity, too.

"I'll fuckin I'll fuckin sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you" - Method "Method Man" Man

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If we're digging up highly respected artists from a couple of decades ago, I think it's weird that we never really hear about A Tribe Called Quest's Georgie Porgie.

OP
OP
Crumb

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Method Man has a sordid past with obesity, too.

"I'll fuckin I'll fuckin sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you" - Method "Method Man" Man
Yikes. Well that makes two of my top 5 rappers that have been cancelled in this thread alone.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of Weird Al's songs, this thread is more memorable than whatever its a parody of.

Status
Not open for further replies.