• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And I think the answer is.....

NO.

No one loves you Luvdisc.

250px-370Luvdisc.png

But maybe I'm wrong?

My favorite of all is Pikachu. Lame sure, but I'm just being honest.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
BRB OP, asking all 7 billion people in the world who their favourite Pokemon is.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
I almost want to say yes, because even Luvdisc has its fans... but does anyone really, truly, honestly love Basculin? There's just nothing interesting there. It's just a fish. It's not particularly cute or quirky or even cool enough to stand out in its own right. Even in their Pokedex entries they're basically just described as the assholes of the sea.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
What I'd like to know - given that so many of the english names are puns (Squirtle is a squirting turtle, for example) do the Japanese know Pokemon by completely different names that are puns in Japanese?

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
There's always been Pokemon that most people thought were lame yet some folks just love for whatever reason.

Like I've always really liked Basculin for some reason, despite it being probably the most forgettable Pokemon out there.

I'm sure every Pokemon has someone who loves them.

(My favorite is Greninja, btw)

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
What I'd like to know - given that so many of the english names are puns (Squirtle is a squirting turtle, for example) do the Japanese know Pokemon by completely different names that are puns in Japanese?
Yes. Same with various European languages in the PAL release, I believe.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Every Pokemon is someone's n-th favorite Pokemon, at least. I would be sad to see any Pokemon go.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Lol yes, of course. And in other languages

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There is a classic Tumblr post that talks about this

i love that every pokémon is someone's favourite pokémon. it doesn't matter how much you dislike a pokémon or how forgettable you you think a design is, out there is someone who thinks it's their baby. my coworker who only discovered pokémon through pokémon go absolutely loves tangela and has a small army of fully powered up ones. at an expo once i saw a woman at a booth desperately trying to find an onix plushie because it was her daughter's absolute favourite. i talked with someone recently who announced sudowoodo as their tippy top favourite. every single one is loved by someone and idk, i think that's gotdang heartwarming

Here is the original with one of it's threads with people posting gifs of their favorites ... and it starts with a fucking Swinub
https://xuzaxuza.tumblr.com/post/180587866967/i-love-that-every-pokémon-is-someones-favourite

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
And I think the answer is.....

NO.

No one loves you Luvdisc.

250px-370Luvdisc.png

But maybe I'm wrong?

My favorite of all is Pikachu. Lame sure, but I'm just being honest.
Yes, people do. So much that it beat out other fan favorite Pokemon in the last popularity poll, like Electabuzz.

Edit: The legendary bias is because the winner of these polls always get a special release as a gift to players.
OofaZJZ.png

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
There's always been Pokemon that most people thought were lame yet some folks just love for whatever reason.

Like I've always really liked Basculin for some reason, despite it being probably the most forgettable Pokemon out there.

I'm sure every Pokemon has someone who loves them.

(My favorite is Greninja, btw)

Well, I thought I might have had the one lonely Pokemon that nobody would care about and we already found someone who likes it. Shit, I'm going to have to definitively say that yes, aaaalll 809 Pokemon out there are somebody's favorite.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I almost want to say yes, because even Luvdisc has its fans... but does anyone really, truly, honestly love Basculin? There's just nothing interesting there. It's just a fish. It's not particularly cute or quirky or even cool enough to stand out in its own right. Even in their Pokedex entries they're basically just described as the assholes of the sea.
My boyfriend does and it makes no sense to me.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, probably. Sure there are some truly random, forgettable Pokemon, but there are tens of millions of Pokemon fans across the world and even 809 is an extremely tiny number to distribute among that group. It's impossible to get a legit answer here though obviously.

My favorite has been Oddish forever lol. I remember reading everything I could about the original 151 before the first games even hit the US and just loving it immediately, bought Red just because Oddish was exclusive to it. I've played all the following gens and there have been lots of "better" Pokemon probably, but nothing ever recaptured the feeling of that first hype cycle for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.