• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Oh for the love of fuck please don't.

Especially if it's a first party I literally just started moving away from consoles this last year.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

So is Sony finally making its move or someone else?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Who that can afford the billions that SE will still cost was turned off by owning stuff like Tomb Raider?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That reads like speculation. If an acquisition was in the works journalists wouldn't know about it. Or at least be teasing on Twitter.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I foresee a lot of "actually non-Japanese companies can't buy Japanese ones; it's part of their cultural law" posts incoming…

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
But people in the other thread said that actually Square-Enix is factually doing great. If they were doing great, why would they sell?

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me but also, I'd have a hard time believing a suitor wouldn't have dropped an extra 300 million to get their west studios and IP as well.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
If they were looking to sell wouldn't it make sense to keep these teams and start selling their manga/anime business instead. I doubt other companies bar Sony/Tencent/other japanese companies are interested in publishing Manga and anime.

Jun 22, 2021
Wow Jeff! Thanks for spoiling my next acquisition!!!! 😠😠😠😠

No one really knows about upcoming acquisitions until it happens and they certainty wouldn't be hinting at any.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Any serious acquisition talks are way above the heads of the sources for guys like Grubb. Doesn't mean a sale won't happen, but he shouldn't be taken as a source on something like this.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
While I think he doesn't know I think a Sony or whatever other company acquisition is incoming because this management is putting Square in a really bad spot with this focus on NFTs and supporting bad projects like Babylon's Fall that seemed a bad idea from the start

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
When has one of these huge purchases leaked in the last couple years? Never. So yeah, just speculation.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So... where did he hint Square will be acquired? And people don't know jackshit about business deals especially if it's a japanese company.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Damn people really dont like Grubb? Hasnt he leaked a lot of shit that ended up coming true?

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
This sounds more like speculation than anything else.

That said, Square selling in a year or two wouldn't come as a surprise now. Especially if they continue to slim down some more.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
If someone wanted to buy Square I believe they wouldn't have mind spending an extra 300 mil for the western side as well.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just speculation, if he knew anything he would leaked this acquisition in the first place

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, many people are thinking this as it's what such a sale implies from a business perspective. Many companies do the same before being acquired. It's just rare in the video game industry before now.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Why does this guy get so much attention on era when he's just speculating?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It would make sense. I talked about this with some people in the past weeks, that if someone like Sony were to purchase SE that they'd trim a lot of the excess resources out. It's better for this to be done pre-purchase tbh.

A potential buyer like Sony wouldn't need Tomb Raider for example, and wouldn't need the smaller studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.