• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After weeks of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris avoiding talking about whether or not a Biden administration would support adding additional Supreme Court seats, Joe Biden took a position this morning on the issue:

www.cnn.com

Biden says he's 'not a fan' of court-packing and that he doesn't want to make the election about the issue | CNN Politics

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said Monday that he's "not a fan" of court-packing, providing his clearest position on an issue he has sought to avoid discussing following the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

"I'm not a fan of court-packing, but I don't want to get off on that whole issue," Biden told CNN affiliate WKRC in Cincinatti.

It seems pretty straightforward, then, what his position is.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is pure campaigning. He doesn't want to alienate potential swing voters.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm not a fan of working for a living, but I do what I need to do to survive.

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think what he's a fan of means anything – if the political will and desire is there, he will do it.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Both Biden and Harris have been quiet on this due to potential election consequences. It can be talked about more seriously once he is in.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Still kind of dodge though. I'd like him to give a straight yes or no answer.

No, it's not going to change my vote for him. I just think it's absurd that we allow candidates to say that we'll find out their position after the election.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
This is the democratic party, they are ineffective and useless by design. Even if Biden wins, it's just setting us up for an utterly disastrous 2022 and 2024 where the fascists take control of everything and establish permanent single party rule.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is setting up for the easiest pivot in the world.

"I'm not a fan of court packing... but unfortunately the other side has acted so outrageously that I don't think we have a choice".

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any one is. Smart way of wording it though; it leaves the option on the table, even if he doesn't like the idea of having to use it.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
We'll see how he feels after the conservative stacked courts start striking down Dem legislation. If he's not a fan of stacked courts then he needs to expand them, because they're already heavily stacked against the will of the people.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think he gave the right answer. "I'm not a fan of court packing, but I don't want to get off track on that issue."

The reason court packing, as a phrase, is even being brought up is because Republicans have broken from their own tradition on confirming supreme court justices. The issue isn't whether Joe Biden and Senate Democrats will add justices to the supreme court or not, the issue is whether Republicans are comfortable lying to the American people about their position on Supreme Court confirmations in election years. If they are comfortable doing that, then that's the issue, their comfort with lying to Americans.

"Court packing" is a losing idea for Democrats in an election, it's why Republicans are so eager to talk about it. It's why Trump, in the debates, barely even talked about Amy Coney Barrett (His own nominee!), and instead immediately went to this idea that Biden is going to "pack the courts." They're desperate for an issue like that because they can't win on any issue they've had in the last four years.

Whenever court packing as a question comes up, it's an opportunity for Biden to not answer the question and pivot back to Republicans in the senate. Republicans in the senate have stonewalled stimulus for Americans being crushed by Trump's mishandling of COVID-19, they've stonewalled economic relief, they've stonewalled funding for the post office which provides prescription medicine to millions of American seniors, they've stonewalled on every issue that's important to Americans today....... Except they've found plenty of time to launch a confirmation process for a justice that THEY THEMSELVES said shouldn't be confirmed in an election year.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, that's obvious if you know anything about Joe Biden. You can teach an old dog new tricks, but he's a moderate at heart and a lot of this stuff is going to be a "drag him kicking and screaming" situation.

Dude was literally born during the Roosevelt administration. When he entered politics, the FDR court packing thing was as recent a memory as Reagan is today. "Court packing is toxic and a terrible idea" is baked into his DNA in a way it isn't for younger politicians.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
"Not a fan of it"

Is a way that I would say "I don't want to do this, but these crazy fucking republicans are basically forcing me to"

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
He's already said stuff like that before, albeit not recently. This isn't the first time he's said something to the same effect.

However, even if you're not a fan of something, that doesn't mean there aren't extreme situations where you may be forced to do it.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saying he's in favor of court packing prior to the election is something that would only have downsides politically. He'll likely pivot after he's elected to court "rebalancing". Saying he's "not a fan" gives him wiggle room and keeps it out of the media cycle for this month which is important.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is pure campaigning. He doesn't want to alienate potential swing voters.

Is it though? Biden is as centrist as it gets. We'll be lucky if he even floats the idea if he gets elected and the Senate flips blue.

If he gets elected and the Senate doesn't flip blue though, he's not going to bother bringing it up as a President out of fear that it will hurt him politically and he'll gain nothing.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of paying bills, but damnit, if I don't then there goes the roof over my head.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I hope he keeps dodging this question.

At this point, answering is an unnecessary risk. Especially the case before the official confirmation. Keep the story on them.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a good answer.

It shouldn't be called court packing, it should be called court balancing after 6 years of republican fuckery. And it can wait until after the election.

Focus now shoudl be that the GOP is ramming through a trump ass kisser to fill a SCOTUS seat a week before the election.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I rather see him focus on getting PR / Dc state hood. That will have a more lasting effect for the party than adding more judges.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Intentionally vague answer which indicates that polling must show people are split on the issue. Also not good to tip your hand on such a thing before you are firmly in control to enact it. If Republicans somehow retained control they could just flip around and use it as a base for justifying packing things even further for themselves (e.g. updating to 12 justices to align with the 12 circuit courts I saw someone here mention).

I wouldn't expect any more concrete an answer before the election, or early into his term. Looks very much to me though that they will do it if they get the trifecta control and republicans have stuffed in barrett. They would be foolish not to at this point.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He should've just continued dodging an answer like he had been before.

Because let's be real, Republicans will never act in good faith and meaningful progress will not be made without expanding the courts and nuking the filibuster.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Another deflect. If he said that he wanted to pack the courts upfront he'd be taking a giant shit all over his campaign for no reason. He could easily walk back his comments in the OP if the Dems flip the Senate.

Oct 28, 2017
Best answer he could have given. If he was a definitive 'yes I want to pack the courts' it would lead to a net loss of votes.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Joe Biden, but sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
"Right now I'm focused on Republicans ramming through an extremist court pick just weeks before an election." <- just stick with this answer.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hes not a fan, but wont try and stop it probably. So hes not lying but also not giving the GOP the clip they want to scare moderates.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
He's smartly avoiding making a definitive statement on a hypothetical. Not giving the GOP what they desperately want to try to bolster their campaign.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Seems like a good dodge. Sometimes you have to do things you are not a fan of, especially with ACB on the bench and Obamacare/Roe up in the air. No one is really a fan of court packing because Republicans will follow it up with their own packing, but all the stolen seats and Mitch's bad faith justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.