• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4790947/joe-biden-eulogy

A choice quote

Strom Thurmond was the only man whom I knew who in a literal sense lived in three distinct and separate periods of American history, and lived what would have been considered a full life in each of those periods, particularly in his beloved South. Born into an era of essentially unchallenged and unexamined mores of the South, reaching his full maturity in a era of fully challenged and critically exam[in]ed bankrupt mores of his beloved South, and living out his final three decades in a South that had formally rejected its past on race. In each of these stages, in my observation — and I was only with him the last three decades — Strom represented exactly where he came from.
(disproval of Strom's "epiphany" noted here https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2002/12/the-legend-of-strom-s-remorse.html )

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...h-segregationists-the-political-system-worked

"I've been around so long, I worked with James Eastland," Biden said at a campaign rally for Sen. Doug Jones, D-Ala., in 2017. "Even in the days when I got there, the Democratic Party still had seven or eight old-fashioned Democratic segregationists. You'd get up and you'd argue like the devil with them. Then you'd go down and have lunch or dinner together. The political system worked. We were divided on issues, but the political system worked."

Eastland, a Democrat from Mississippi who died in 1986, said many times that he thought black people belonged to "an inferior race." When later asked if he would change anything in his political career, he said that he "voted my convictions on everything.''

When Biden faced a re-election in 1978, Eastland even offered to help Biden's Senate campaign. "I looked at Eastland. He said, 'What can old Jim Eastland do for you in Delaware?'" Biden recounted at a 2016 Labor Day event in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "I said, 'Mr. Chairman, some places you'd help and some places you'd hurt.' He said, 'Well, I'll come to Delaware and campaign for you or against you, whichever will help the most.'"

Sen. Strom Thurmond, R-S.C., gave the longest filibuster in the history of the Senate against the Civil Rights Act of 1957. In 1948, when Thurmond was the governor of South Carolina and seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, he displayed blatant racism in a speech at the States' Rights Democrats, or "Dixiecrats," convention:

"There's not enough troops in the army, to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the [N-word] race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches," Thurmond said.

Biden said he became "good friends" with Thurmond, who lived to 100, and his wife. He gave a eulogy at his funeral in 2003, in which he noted that Thurmond voted in favor of expanding the Voting Rights Act and making Martin Luther King Jr. Day a holiday, and stated that Thurmond changed his views later in life.

Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., is known for opposing a national holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. and opposing the busing of black students to end segregation in schools. In his farewell speech to the Senate in 2009, Biden mentioned that Helms became his friend and his wife became a "close friend that I still kept in contact with."

While Biden now highlights his disagreements with segregationists and separates himself from their politics when he mentions them, in the 70s, he supported anti-busing amendmentsintroduced by Helms and Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., a former Ku Klux Klan recruiter who later renounced his racist past.

This is Joe Biden, a political opportunist with no morals, no compunctions about working with those that rarefied racial stratification in the name of "good politics", and no qualms about his decades of misdeeds.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Thurmond was a real creep too, beyond his abhorrent political views. Hit on Chelsea Clinton at a dinner with the Clintons back in the 90s.

OP
OP
Frozenprince

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This needs to go in the 2020 thread.
No it doesn't.

It's about a past relationship of a noted politician and the 2020 thread is literally just 10 people arguing in circles.

Either we have wholesale engagement of politics or it's made into a "club" where only the special ones get to talk about it.

This is about his relationship with a man who died in 2003, I fail to see how it's anything other than an examination of his character, not to do with his current campaign.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Right now this stuff goes in the 2020 thread. After the first debate feel free to make all the primary threads you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.