• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

As the title says.

Big fucking yikes from Spotify. Yes Rogan might have one of the biggest podcasts in the world, but that doesnt stop him from being someone they shouldn't be fucking paying big money for.

Extra asshattery:

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Joe Rogan’s podcast(audio/video) is becoming a Spotify exclusive

Link "Joe Rogan, comedian and host of one of the most popular podcasts in the world, is taking his show to Spotify. The Joe Rogan Experience will soon become a Spotify exclusive, meaning episodes’ full audio and video will only be available through the platform starting later this year. Up...

Thread probably going to get locked like the last one.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I saw this on Twitter. As a primary YouTube user this a bummer. I am an avid mma fan and enjoy some of the guests that he brings on. Don't think I'll make the jump to Spotify despite if it's free.

OP
OP
eonden

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Joe Rogan’s podcast(audio/video) is becoming a Spotify exclusive

Link "Joe Rogan, comedian and host of one of the most popular podcasts in the world, is taking his show to Spotify. The Joe Rogan Experience will soon become a Spotify exclusive, meaning episodes’ full audio and video will only be available through the platform starting later this year. Up...

Thread probably going to get locked like the last one.
Oh didnt see that

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This got locked, that said...this is fascinating less about the piece of shit Rogan, but how the landscape of the podcast economy is changing (although I remember reading about how podcast listening went down in the beginning of the pandemic, I wonder if its spiked up now everyone's settled into either working from home or needing another voice to listen to while we all stay home panic'ed).

Looks like there's gonna be money in those darn hills in the future as the landscape gets chopped up and people start snagging up popular podcasts for exclusivity deals as the platform wars heat up

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This got locked, that said...this is fascinating less about the piece of shit Rogan, but how the landscape of the podcast economy is changing (although I remember reading about how podcast listening went down in the beginning of the pandemic, I wonder if its spiked up now everyone's settled into either working from home or needing another voice to listen to while we all stay home panic'ed)
Pretty sure this was in negotiation for a bit now. He has the top personality-driven podcast in the US I believe.

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate seeing Spotify trying to take an open platform and lock it down. Anyway, this is huge and their biggest get by far.

Oct 25, 2017
This got locked, that said...this is fascinating less about the piece of shit Rogan, but how the landscape of the podcast economy is changing (although I remember reading about how podcast listening went down in the beginning of the pandemic, I wonder if its spiked up now everyone's settled into either working from home or needing another voice to listen to while we all stay home panic'ed).

Looks like there's gonna be money in those darn hills in the future as the landscape gets chopped up and people start snagging up popular podcasts for exclusivity deals as the platform wars heat up

Spotify has been working towards building an all in one platform. They already had built an ad system for people to create & upload ads, and now with Gimlet and Anchor they can better build in the podcast aspect. They've also been experimenting with video so this could be their play into it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Heard on the radio they paid what like 100 mil ? That's insane if true

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Spotify has been working towards building an all in one platform. They already had built an ad system for people to create & upload ads, and now with Gimlet and Anchor they can better build in the podcast aspect. They've also been experimenting with video so this could be their play into it.

Interesting with the video pivot. Apple already has their exclusive deals through Itunes radio for audio only content, I wonder if they will follow suit specifically for podcasts and as a result force our other tech Gods to foolishly assume they gotta be in the biz because Apple and Spotify are ("Who's ready for Amazon podcasts!")

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Imagine if Spotify took the insane amount of money they're giving him and gave it to struggling artists or burning it in a pit. Both better uses than on this turd.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Joe Rogan is trash, so whilst I don't care about this case specifically, I do think it sucks how Spotify are trying to buy up the Podcast market.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if Spotify took the insane amount of money they're giving him and gave it to struggling artists or burning it in a pit. Both better uses than on this turd.
LOL.

Corporations are gonna be self-interested. What interest does Spotify have to donate money to artists? They have the bargaining power. The artist's music is still on their platform and they don't have to spend more money.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
If it means I never have to see another fucking Joe Rogan thumbnail in my YouTube recommendations I'll be thankful for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting with the video pivot. Apple already has their exclusive deals through Itunes radio for audio only content, I wonder if they will follow suit specifically for podcasts and as a result if our other tech gods foolishly assume they gotta be in the biz because Apple and Spotify are ("Who's ready for Amazon podcasts!")

It's video stuff as it relates to spotify's platform. So think stuff like music videos or behind the scenes kind of stuff.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good that this reduces his exposure.
And good that this thread will be locked because he doesn't get a platform here.

Status
Not open for further replies.