• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Personal thread note: Please don't make this thread about Rogan, but rather the content of the podcast.

John Carmack is a computer programmer, video game developer and engineer. He co-founded id Software and was the lead programmer of its video games Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Rage and their sequels. Currently he is the CTO at Oculus.

Could be a good one, if Joe shuts his trap for a minute and let's John speak, lol

Edit: This is apparently the case!

Last edited:

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Glad someone made a thread cuz I wouldn't have known otherwise, since I stopped listening to Rogan a year or two ago.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
4806281-in%20b4%20lock.gif

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Joe Rogan is fun to watch when it's unrelated to politics. Tom Delonge, Macaulay Culkin and Travis Barker were all really good. Hell, Bernie's episode seems to have made public perception of him better

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
That seems kind of surprising. I'm not super familiar with Joe Rogan but from what little I know I'd assume he's pretty anti-video games. I see him viewing them as a waste of time, you should be out hunting/ working out/ learning/ etc.

On the other hand it seems he'll have literally anyone on his show, maybe Carmack's people reached out and set it up?

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems kind of surprising. I'm not super familiar with Joe Rogan but from what little I know I'd assume he's pretty anti-video games. I see him viewing them as a waste of time, you should be out hunting/ working out/ learning/ etc.

On the other hand it seems he'll have literally anyone on his show, maybe Carmack's people reached out and set it up?
Nah, he's obsessed with Quake I think. Or was.

Feb 10, 2018

No you're misinformed, he used to be really into competitive quake, he still plays a bit now, he also has a vive VR and plays xbox with his kids.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think Rogan of anti-video games, I believe he said he used to play them a lot in the past, his daughters play, and when the HTC Vive came out he raved about it many times.

OP
OP
DiscoThunder

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Even the Bernie one? That's too bad. I thought it was a solid way for him to branch out support.

It'd really be a shame to lock this, considering this is John Carmack we're talking about. Literally one of the most influential game-makers ever.

If the discussions evolve around Carmack and the interview itself instead of Rogan, maybe we'll get to keep it open

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a Jordan Peterson containment thread, there should be a JRE containment thread as well, he does get legitimate guests on occasionally and there are sometimes controversies people want to discuss. There are Trump and neonazi threads on Era all the time, just make an OT and leave it at that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Rogan banned from this site? I don't like him but that seems a bit extreme. I'll give it a watch later.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Carmack is an insanely smart dude, Joe could barely keep up. Carmack could have literally gone into any industry and and become successful, the fact that he was so interested in the games industry and poured all his innovations into furthering it is an amazing thing.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've never listened to not cared to look into Joe, but listening to John talk is absolutely fucking fascinating

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Is Rogan banned from this site? I don't like him but that seems a bit extreme. I'll give it a watch later.

From what I understand in the locked Rogan/Carmack thread it seems to be more about the fact that every Rogan threads get derailed and go poorly than making a thread about his podcast itself. Let's just help to make it not derail! We're good so far.

Carmack always does better in interviews where the interviewer lets him talk more, because he needs more time to express his thoughts. He really s hines more in longer discussions than in short ones. Him talking about VR is refreshing, you really feel the passion for it. His talk about the retreat he goes in every year just to forget about everything was fun as well.

Didn't really like the segment where they're talking about the culture of overtime (I think it was about it, might have missed a part. Was half listening for a while) but he seemed to be more in the "I feel like a slacker if I do less than X" category, which is fine since it's a personal statement but I feel important figures in the industry should try and have an approach that's less strict when they're talking about this, especially because it contributes to the stigma felt by employees when they want to have good working conditions. But at the end of the day it's what he does, and he was honest with it. Didn't feel like he was waving the problems though, more that he didn't really want to engage in the subject. Fair enough.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really nice to see Carmack's passion for VR. Here's hoping he keeps working at it for years to come.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
It's really nice to see Carmack's passion for VR. Here's hoping he keeps working at it for years to come.

VR is so different as a platform that it really requires a real passion for it in order to make it work at its best. I've never been a fan, but talks like this really make me want to give it another try. If only to encourage passionate people to make the technology evolve.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's mostly Carmack talking. It's pretty good actually. He definitely knows his stuff and it's great just to hear him speaking his mind.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. Glad someone made a thread cuz I wouldn't have known otherwise, since I stopped listening to Rogan a year or two ago.
i think this is like the 3rd thread on this interview lol. The mods keep locking them shortly after they are created.
Oh this should be interesting. Joe shuts the fuck up in this andets John talk? Does anyone know?
Yes its mostly Carmack talking with Rogan asking a question here or there to move the discussion along. I recommend listen, Carmack is excellent as always.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that this is gonna be locked, because I listened to the whole thing, and there could actually be some really good discussion to come from this.

Carmack, for instance, has a hot take on crunch in the video game industry, and says he's fine with it because devs aren't doing it against their will.

He also doesn't acknowledge the privacy issues with Facebook, and says that ultimately, all these social media companies are doing things for the betterment of mankind.

He also completely obliterates Joe, and Joe completely misses it. Joe brings up all the young people constantly on their smart phones and asks Carmack if he's concerned with people being less social, and Carmack says that it's fine if you're already big and successful (like Joe), so you get to experience a lot of really cool things first hand, but a significant portion of the population has to live bicuriously through others, and do so through social media and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.