• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRC5AA1wF0&feature=youtu.be&t=2247

The whole "debate" video, but not much actual debate there.

I was there live at the event, and it was a little too humiliating for Peterson in the end.
You can tell from Peterson's statement that he knows little about Marxism. Very likely he just read the Communist Manifesto before the event.
He has little dialectical thoughts on the concept of happiness which is the topic of the debate, can't get beyond the capitalistic mode of thinking, and of course still sticks to the biological determinist ideas as his explanation for social hierarchy. He probably doesn't know any Žižek's work (based on one of his questions)

Žižek recycles lots of his old writings (and jokes) for his statement, but he still destroys Peterson effortlessly. The whole conversation felt like a grad student meeting his advisor underprepared.

Last edited:

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Yes, he got fucking owned. That's a common thing for Peterson. Getting owned all the time.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most important modern philosophers up against a guy who owes his career to YouTube and white supremacists?

Not exactly an even match.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it seems Peterson probably read the Communist Manifesto, a pamphlet with little of Marx's and Engels's more rigorous analysis and critical theory that is meant to be read by laymen in less than an hour, and didn't have the time to read Capital. And then he goes all in on "Marx was wrong" when it's like... yeah, about some things, but none of those things are the things you're calling wrong. Just wasn't equipped for an academic debate, even with Zizek's observational and multilayered approach to discussion failing to go in for the kill multiple times.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You're thinking of Jung. Hegel is more Zizek's field (and Lacan of course). But anyone who is into continental philosophy has read Hegel if they know their shit.
No it's Hegel. Not that Hegel is a fuckboy philosopher but just that I know a lot of memes that mention guys who do to try and impress.

Oct 26, 2017
Literally anyone with any credibility in philosophy knew Peterson was/is a hack.

Now hopefully his lobster army realizes too.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
It was quite telling that Peterson couldn't name a Marxist that thinks the way he says they do, and although I think Žižek schooled him throughout, I think most of Peterson's fans will think he came out of this unscathed, if for no other reason than for his pseudo-confident demeanor in contrast to Žižek's fidgeting.
If there's any message, it's people like Peterson should read more books on a topic that they claim to reject so much.

Nov 14, 2017
Say what you will about the CIA, but they have a decent track record of identifying talent and doing just enough to help it flourish. By contrast, a commercially oriented grifter like Peterson is simply swimming in a shallower (albeit broader) sea.

Peterson hasnt? Thats like fuckboy's number 1 most popular philosopher to bring up lol

Well he brings up Marx a lot too and has apparently only recently taken the trouble to read a pamphlet. Given that Hegel is unreadable it's not unlikely that he could namedrop Hegel but be completely stumped when brought into contact with Hegelian thought.

I don't actually believe Zizek is backed by the CIA

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it's Hegel. Not that Hegel is a fuckboy philosopher but just that I know a lot of memes that mention guys who do to try and impress.

Hegel is more of a weird prophetic seer, whose prose is a bit of a toll (I swear I'd almost rather read Kant, lol), but he presents an uncannily appropriate articulation of human life, as expressed through many registers, inter-dynamically, and committed to time. Considering how linear and discursive philosophy is, it still seems incredible that anyone would try. But he's actually my favorite historical philosopher, lol. It's partly because I identify with how he's a person more of intuition than anything. I think it was William James that said that Hegel was a good seer but not so good an arguer. Hegel seems primarily interested in the image or concept (epistemologically supported through absolute idealism) that can capture some facet or dynamic of the absolute (the best an idealist can get to realism, fully turning Kant's noumenon on its head!) So yeah, I'd say it's surprisingly intuitive, if you're amenable to the more intuitive or impressionistic thing in philosophy, and you can get beyond the arguably obscurantist prose.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Right after his opening you could tell just how unprepared JP was.

His whole thing about neo-marxist just being people complaining about inequality. Christ.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Money shot is at 2:23:00: Peterson admitting he doesn't really know what Marxism is but fears its influence on the youth, Zizek presses him on the fact that he nonetheless calls his bogeyman "Postmodern Neo-Marxism."

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
45rqu5m1hej21.jpg

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
It wasn't a competition even though they both critiqued each other, so I don't follow the idea of any of them being bodied or destroyed. But for my take, JP is skilled at making his points clearly and coherently, whereas Zizek speaks in off the cuffs in fragments across many topics at once which makes his points harder to follow, though if you try to find a throughline you can. Overall though, I think they agreed on far, far more than they disagreed.

I wish, instead of a debate format, they could both sit together in a small, comfy, quiet room and just discuss back and forth with each other without strict time constraints. I think we'd all get a lot more out of it.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was hoping for worse. Tbh JP muddled the grounds enough that audiences on both sides likely didn't move much. That's the way these things are though now. Destiny debates showed this too, you basically have 90% of the audience that is going to see their side as the winner regardless and a small group that is swayable

Status
Not open for further replies.