• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I normally don't post about my personal shit here, but fuck, I don't know.

Sister just called me. This morning my dad woke up deaf in his right ear and with blurred vision in his right eye. He's had hearing problems for a couple years now, but the eye thing is new. When he got up, he also had trouble walking. So my mom took him to the ER and they gave him an MRI and some other tests. His blood pressure is also through the roof but no idea if it's all related.

Just sitting by my phone waiting for sister to text me back when MRI results are back, should be any minute now, she says. Just, no idea what to do right now.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
My SO is works as an NP on a Neuro floor in the hospital. She only works with stroke patients. If this is a stroke, the earlier he got help the better. I'm hoping for the best for you and your family. I hear stories about amazing recoveries often.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing you can do right now. Right now you got to focus on yourself.
Most times it is nothing major, and even if it is major - medicine has come a long way. Your dad is in the right place if he needs help.

chimpychi

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with an aging father that loves hours away, I worry about his health too. Wish your father the best. Hopefully any issue was caught early and he comes through okay

Mar 30, 2019
I'm sorry to hear that and that sounds frightening. Take a breath and just collect your thoughts, since you can only wait at the moment. I'm hoping the best for you and your situation.

Dec 31, 2017
They 100% did the correct thing by taking him to the ER ASAP and he is being worked up now - he's in the best possible play he can be. Being patient in such situations is awfully tough, but hang in there.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I hope it goes as well as it can for your father.
I recommend finding a family member or friend that can be physically near you during this.

MRI Results
OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MRI results came back:

My dad has a massive benign tumor at the base of his brain, near the brain stem. Its the reason for his hearing loss, vision problems and balance issues. Its might also explain his sky-high blood pressure but they're not sure. He's had for years and its getting bigger which is why he just woke up with blurred vision today, its pressing on his audio visual nervs.

He already agreed to the surgery to remove as much of it as possible. It'll be on Saturday. I'm going to see him tomorrow. Can't today because the fucking hospital doesn't allow more than 2 visitors and my mom and sister and staying with him.

Fuck, just fuck. At least its not cancerous.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
On the upside, if all his issues are coming from that and they can treat it, it would be awesome if he comes out better than ever. No idea if that's too optimistic or not

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
My father experienced VERY similar symptoms 10 years ago. We were afraid he had already had a stroke. When we got the MRI, it was discovered that he hadn't yet HAD a stroke but was in very serious danger of having one at any minute due to his left carotid artery being completed plugged up with plaque.

They got him in for surgery immediately and cleared the neck and he recovered fully. I hope the same for you.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with you and your family, OP. Hope everything ends up okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.