• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Yes i'm a fucking idiot, I don't know what to fucking do I've already opened a steam support and I'm freaking out because I've just bought a bunch of tf2 keys (guess I can say goodbye to $60) and I have about $48 on my wallet

I'm literally just like contemplating suicide right now I'm just fucking so stupid

fuck my life honestly

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take a step back and identify the steps you need to take rationally. Ultimately it's not that big a deal and you'll likely be able to get it back. If you're actually contemplating suicide I highly recommend you seek professional help.

May 18, 2018
LEson learned. You'll be fine and I'm sure you'll get your account back in order. Need to be more worried about your personal info. Just remember, websites will never ask for your password. If you get an email asking you to change anything, go to the website itself and do it, Never click links.

Edit: Suicide is an extreme reaction to losing some Steam bucks. From someone that was literally in a psych hold for suicide attempts, it ain't that serious.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'd seek professional help if you're considering suicide, honestly.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
You'll get your account back.

I'd chase as well about the keys as well - they know when you've raised the issue and hopefully will restore it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yes i'm a fucking idiot, I don't know what to fucking do I've already opened a steam support and I'm freaking out because I've just bought a bunch of tf2 keys (guess I can say goodbye to $60) and I have about $48 on my wallet

I'm literally just like contemplating suicide right now I'm just fucking so stupid

fuck my life honestly

They will probably reverse any charges on the Steam Wallet transactions, so that should be safe, but the keys might be gone forever. :/ But it is not the worst thing ever, so just take a breather, hang with some friends or something, and chill. You'll get your account back, so try not to stress.

(I got phished about 10 years ago, and I know it's hard to keep calm,. but even back then Steam support were awesome about these kinds of things. :) )

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
i just don't fucking know why I even did it, it was a link on St4ck's profile and it was a .ru website, so it was obviously a scam and I am just fucking sitting here freaking out abot how much money I've lost

Tenck

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully you get your account back and turn on steam guard. Unless there's a legitimate reason you couldn't before.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
See it as a learning experience and grow from it, also start using 2-factor authentication everywhere.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but it's something that you'll be able to deal with. Lesson learned, right. Better this way than with your credit card or bank credentials.
If you lose some money, just remember that it's as easily lost as it is earned. That's what I tell myself whenever I goofed and lost money due to my own stupidity. It's not worth agonizing yourself over, let alone self-harm.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
i just don't fucking know why I even did it, it was a link on St4ck's profile and it was a .ru website, so it was obviously a scam and I am just fucking sitting here freaking out abot how much money I've lost

I know it's hard right now, but try to relax. You did the right thing by contacting Steam support. It might take a while for them to respond, but hopefully they can help you. I know it's a lot of money, but try to keep things in perspective and hopefully you'll see that it isn't as bad as it seems right now.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Also, according to the Support stats page, Account Security & Recovery response time is 2.42 hours to 11.94 hours, which is pretty quick, so you shouldn't be in too much agony for too long. :)

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Also, according to the Support stats page:

That response time is pretty quick, so you shouldn't be in too much agony for too long. :)

I don't know what to do, at least I didn't sync my credit card to it, this is why I never leave my credit card on my accounts.

I'm just upset I'm probably going to lose the TF2 keys that I bought for $57 and I was going to use to level up my account, but then this shit happens.

I have a feeling my friends will get deleted as well or spammed, so I don't know.

I also don't know if the information I provided was enough...

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I had my account stolen once, I got it back within a week. You just need to verify with them that you're the owner of the account. I had around 200 games on it back then.

Everyone messes up once or twice, one day of not thinking straight and it happens, don't try to beat yourself up over it too much.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I forgot to mention -- Steam guard is a really *really* good idea. I've been using it for a couple years and the very slight inconvenience is more than worth the peace of mind that my account is super secure

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Please, don't even joke about suicide.

Get in touch with Steam support - send them proof that you are the legit owner, the more you have, the better. If need be block credit cards, replace passwords, etc.

Good luck :)

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Take a deep breath mate. You already know the damages, and all you have to do now is wait it out. Look out the window, grab a cup of coffee. It'll be back to normal in no time.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
You'll get your account back.

As transactions are timestamp they'll stop and reverse any after the ticket opening time.

It'll be ok, honestly.

Now get Steam Guard set up on mobile the moment you get your account back.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I just stick to Era and Reddit. My days of visiting dodgy websites are far behind me, and life is less stressful. Hope it all works out OP, just chalk it up as a life lesson and don't make yourself more upset by ruminating over it. Rumination sucks.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Don't be too hard on yourself OP just learn from it. Use this as an opportunity to square away any other security issues your other accounts may have.

If it helps I fucked up so badly today at work that this seems so quaint by comparison. Even relaxing.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I went there but they already changed the email so I don't know
I know you're upset but please read this carefully. If they changed the email you will have received an email to confirm this. You can lock the account from there. You must do this immediately.

.Locking your account is simple. When certain Steam account changes are made, a notification will be sent to the email address that is associated with your account. These include the following:

Password changes
Email changes
Steam Guard code requests
In these various notification emails you will find a link to lock your account. Once clicked, you will be taken to a page to complete the process. Even if your email address is changed on your Steam account, you will still receive an email with a lock link confirming the action.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
They've already changed the email address on the account too, so have I really lost the account?

No, you won't have totally lost it. Steam support will ask for some transaction details, so as long as you kept purchase info - payment type, date, name of game bought - you're fine. Valve are really top-notch with this, so try not to stress.

May 25, 2019
London
Valve will take care of you and encourage you to turn on Steam Guard.

The bigger issue here is that you were contemplating suicide over your Steam account. At the end of the day it's just video games man. Take a step back and talk to somebody if you need an outlet.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I know you're upset but please read this carefully. If they changed the email you will have received an email to confirm this. You can lock the account from there. You must do this immediately.

.Locking your account is simple. When certain Steam account changes are made, a notification will be sent to the email address that is associated with your account. These include the following:

Password changes
Email changes
Steam Guard code requests
In these various notification emails you will find a link to lock your account. Once clicked, you will be taken to a page to complete the process. Even if your email address is changed on your Steam account, you will still receive an email with a lock link confirming the action.

The only email I got was
The email address associated with your Steam account has been successfully changed.

I didn't get an email to allow/deny the change

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
The only email I got was
The email address associated with your Steam account has been successfully changed.

You sure that was from valve? Did it have a "click here to change email" link? That could have been the phishing email itself.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
i just feel fucking stupid
I have literally thrown much bigger amounts of money into the trash because I'm a massive bellend. You're alright mate, whether you do ultimately lose the money or not. Consider it a learning experience. You'd be surprised at the growth in this type of scams lately.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
This stuff happens. Everyone has done something silly when they weren't thinking straight that cost them money, myself included (to the tune of multiple thousands). It's a learning experience that you won't easily forget. Thankfully it's Steam as Steam Support is excellent so it shouldn't take long to get everything sorted out, make sure you have prior transaction details available if possible as they will ask about it for verification.

The only email I got was

This doesn't seem right. This is what it should look like -
Wtyb1Sw.png

Specifically that little grey paragraph at the bottom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
This stuff happens. Everyone has done something silly when they weren't thinking straight that cost them money, myself included (to the tune of multiple thousands). It's a learning experience that you won't easily forget. Thankfully it's Steam as Steam Support is excellent so it shouldn't take long to get everything sorted out, make sure you have prior transaction details available if possible as they will ask about it for verification.

This doesn't seem right. This is what it should look like -
Wtyb1Sw.png

Specifically that little grey paragraph at the bottom.

yeah that's what I got but I dunno if the account is locked

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I had my account stolen once about eight years ago or so. A game developer account I am following suddenly tweeted at me a link so I stupidly click it, and got my account hijacked. Contacted Valve on the phone and was able to get my account back without a hour or so. Didn't lose anything since I had a paypal account setup, so they didn't have the password to buy anything.

Also lost my Battlenet account sometime after I stopped playing Diablo 3. I never knew it was gone until the expansion was coming out and notice I couldn't login anymore. I called Blizzard and they were able to recover it. Jerk had a character whom they were using in Diablo which I deleted without any hesitation. What they had in the storage chest I threw up on the Real Money Auction House (remember that) and got about twenty bucks toward the expansion.

But yeah OP, calm down. It happens. You can get what you lost back, just call Valve and your bank and explain the situation.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The only email I got was

It's part of that email, there should be a link to lock the account there.

Did you click the link as exampled in the picuture you quoted? "Use this account specific recovery link".

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I had my account stolen once about eight years ago or so. A game developer account I am following suddenly tweeted at me a link so I stupidly click it, and got my account hijacked. Contacted Valve on the phone and was able to get my account back without a hour or so. Didn't lose anything since I had a paypal account setup, so they didn't have the password to buy anything.

Also lost my Battlenet account sometime after I stopped playing Diablo 3. I never knew it was gone until the expansion was coming out and notice I couldn't login anymore. I called Blizzard and they were able to recover it. Jerk had a character whom they were using in Diablo which I deleted without any hesitation. What they had in the storage chest I threw up on the Real Money Auction House (remember that) and got about twenty bucks toward the expansion.

But yeah OP, calm down. It happens. You can get what you lost back, just call Valve and your bank and explain the situation.

So steam support is really good?

Oct 25, 2017
Changing your E-Mail will result in a 5 day trade restriction so with all likelyhood nothing will actually happen. And even if, Valve is probably able to undo it.
Don't worry too much OP, this happens a lot. Valve is used to dealing with stuff like this.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Changing your E-Mail will result in a 5 day trade restriction so with all likelyhood nothing will actually happen. And even if, Valve is probably able to undo it.
Don't worry too much OP, this happens a lot. Valve is used to dealing with stuff like this.

I think i've locked the account but this is actually a sigh of relief if true, I hope the information I've give (which is literally everything I can think of) will be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.