• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I've been an anime fan since I was kid and I have heard of the term waifu but haven't really thought that much about it. When I came to ERA, I started hearing the term waifu culture and how people criticized it as being creepy, toxic and misogynistic. So I was wondering, just what the hell is waifu culture exactly? Is it simply finding anime people attractive or does it go way beyond that?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
fuck the wig of your choice

everyone has a wig preference they would fuck

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Waifu. Culture. This is a thing? What is it?

All that comes to mind is

giphy.gif

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
It was originally just a joking way to refer to a female character someone liked/had a crush on/whatever but people got waaaay into it. There's also a male equivalent (husbando) but I don't know how deep that goes.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For most I'd imagine it's just a meme used for female characters

For some though, it's basically pretending that they're in a relationship with a fictional character. I'm guessing it's a way to try and cope with loneliness

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There are subreddits dedicated to relationship advice for people with waifus, if you're ever interested in staring into the depths of human depravity and loneliness.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Culture? You're giving it way too much thought/credit.
It's basically just about your favorite female fictional characters. It ranges from mild infatuation to crass obsessiveness to the nth degree, just like everything else.

*cue 10 pages essay on why Belldandy is the ultimate waifu*

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
It's when loners start to fetishize over someone they don't know and who might not even be real!

star-wars-hologram.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.