• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The Monster Hunter movie by Paul W.S. Anderson only just premiered in China today on 4 December 2020, but it's already going viral for the wrong reasons.

As shared by video games industry analyst Daniel Ahmad on Twitter, a brief 10-second clip from the movie features an interaction between two soldier characters in a military vehicle.
It turns out that this joke is considered especially offensive in China and even Japan (if you replace Chinese with Japanese).

It's getting traction on other Taiwanese and chinese online community I frequent.

I'm not sure if I agree with the article that it is only offensive in China and Japan.

Doing a quick search on google, show

This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Chi-i-nese - "eyes slanted up using your fingers"
Jap-a-nese - "eyes slanted down doing the same"
Dir-ty Knees - "slapping your knees with your hands"
Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

And various example in picture and video form.

Or as a chinese-american say
I was the only Chinese-American kid in my class in the suburbs.

In school, other children occasionally did the slanted eyes chant – you know the one where you lift the corners of your eyes up and down and say, "Chinese, Japanese, Dirty Knees, Look at These". I heard that chant in sing-song voices throughout my childhood and still don't know what it means (though I'm sure the original intent was probably not only racist but also sexist – if you know this chant you might recall what "these" referred to).

The taunts punctured my soul. Each incident highlighted the fact I was inescapably different.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/whatshesaid/2012/02/dirty-knees-look-at-these/

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Am i hearing the audio correctly?

Driver: What?
Soldier: Look at my knees. What kind of knees are these? Chi-knees.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Truly, truly awful in every possible way.

Good job, guys.

giphy.gif

(It isn't being released through the Columbia label but you take my point....)

Am i hearing the audio correctly?

Driver: What?
Soldier: Look at my knees. What kind of knees are these? Chi-knees.

That's how I heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.