• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I just started keto a week ago and I've just been going hard on keeping the carb count low as hell. I got the urine test strips and this was the result.

I9Xvcke.png

Normally I'd think this is a good thing, but then I read some online and now I'm mildly confused and in need of help from someone more knowledgable about this. Note that I am not diabetic but I do have issues with low blood sugar when I don't eat in a timely fashion.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just started keto a week ago and I've just been going hard on keeping the carb count low as hell. I got the urine test strips and this was the result.

I9Xvcke.png

Normally I'd think this is a good thing, but then I read some online and now I'm mildly confused and in need of help from someone more knowledgable about this. Note that I am not diabetic but I do have issues with low blood sugar when I don't eat in a timely fashion.

but that's the point of doing keto, that those trips get darker and darker,

what did you exepct would happen?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Carbs are your body's fuel. You are asking a car to run with no fuel, trying to replace the fuel with other things.

"The keto diet could cause low blood pressure, kidney stones, constipation, nutrient deficiencies and an increased risk of heart disease. Strict diets like keto could also cause social isolation or disordered eating. Keto is not safe for those with any conditions involving their pancreas, liver, thyroid or gallbladder."

Source: https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/fo...t could cause,, liver, thyroid or gallbladder.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
From my understanding, diabetic ketoacidosis is very different from ketosis. You would have MUCH higher ketone levels if you were in danger I believe.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Ketoacidosis is a function of type 1 diabetes (and to a lesser degree type 2) and happens when your blood sugar is too high for a prolonged period of time. The body basically begins to shut down and spills ketones as a means to "flush out the system" and to avoid hospitalization.

If you are in normal blood sugar range you should have no problems and your body is simply in ketosis and reacting to the diet change.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
should probably talk to a doctor instead of random people on the internet.
I'm constantly in contact with doctors. The only thing is, no doctor approves of the keto diet and refuses to talk about it. I've spoken to three including a nutritionist, and they push me towards different diets rather than entertaining the thought.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You're fine, that's exactly what's supposed to happen on a keto diet.

Edit: Though, completely separate from these results, you should listen to your doctor.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I'm constantly in contact with doctors. The only thing is, no doctor approves of the keto diet and refuses to talk about it. I've spoken to three including a nutritionist, and they push me towards different diets rather than entertaining the thought.
I wonder what you should make of that...You had three people who spent years of their lives learning about the human body from a scientific point of view telling you this is a bad idea and you end up asking Resetera.

Follow the doctor's advise, they know your particular case far better than anyone here, even if you show us one chart.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Why are you doing keto? It's not a very good diet. If you're doing it to lose weight keto results in more lean body mass loss than a normal low cal diet, which is not what you want.

Keto is used to treat epilepsy in children, it's medical intervention not a normal diet.

OP
OP
Valcrist

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
How do you know you're pre-diabetic?
My A1C has been hovering around 5.9% to 6.

Why are you doing keto? It's not a very good diet. If you're doing it to lose weight keto results in more lean body mass loss than a normal low cal diet, which is not what you want.

Keto is used to treat epilepsy in children, it's medical intervention not a normal diet.
I have Multiple Sclerosis. The keto diet takes down inflammation.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps this is a sign, lol.

No it's not. The current medical curriculum mostly refuses to acknowledge keto even though the evidence exists to support the diet. The curriculum just hasn't caught up.

I wonder what you should make of that...You had three people who spent years of their lives learning about the human body from a scientific point of view telling you this is a bad idea and you end up asking Resetera.

Doctors know next to fuck all about nutrition.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

As a note, nutritionists aren't necessarily licensed or qualified, at least in the USA. You'd want a registered dietitian (RD) or registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN), as those are people that have passed a licensed coursework and testing regimen.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Op I think there was a scuffed keto OT somewhere on this forum, you'll get better answers there than the knee jerk keto is bad people

the urine strips aren't necessary when you start keto, just stay under 20 carbs a day and your body will eventually start producing more of the enzyme that breaks down fat for energy

Keep things monitored with your doctor though since you were pre diabetic.

Jul 3, 2019

Hmmmm wild thought here but maybe you should consider listening to the medical professionals on this

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok that's different then, sorry for making presumptions. Too many people like to try fad diets.

Calling Keto a fad diet is a stretch since it's been popular in the mainstream for about 40 years, and has also been a staple diet for certain cultures (e.g. Northern indigenous cultures) for millennia.

The only reason it's demonized is because there's this faulty idea from the 1970s that fat = bad, and that's been getting debunked heavily over the last few decades.

May 15, 2018
Wow, people here are still calling keto fad and dangerous in 2021. Don't know what's worse, Era nutrition or Era hip-hop.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
No it's not. The current medical curriculum mostly refuses to acknowledge keto even though the evidence exists to support the diet. The curriculum just hasn't caught up.

Doctors know next to fuck all about nutrition.
They literally saw a nutritionist.

Keto has lots of potential harms, some of which are very common. It is not good for your body to deprive it of carbs, healthy and balanced diets are much better, but their effects take longer to be noticeable and they don't act "miracles".

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Urine strips are dumb. Those are measuring keytones you're pissing out. They only prove you're eating correctly enough to produce keytones. Eventually your body will learn how to actually use them, and you won't be pissing them out anymore. You could be in heavy ketosis and piss clean on the strips. They are a dumb product.

If you want real numbers, you should do blood strips.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on keto 100% the last 12 months, lost 35 lbs and my blood sugar went from 150s (fasting, borderline diabetic) to 90-100, regular, fasting. Planning to do a a1c test soon, just would prefer to get the covid vaccine first.

Obviously check your labs and stuff regularly, especially blood sugar, cholesterol, vitamin D, etc which are good markers of health issues but I wouldn't honestly bother with pee strips and stuff. Type 1 diabetes is extremely different from type 2, but it sounds like you are type 2 which is basically "you ate like shit for years and your organs are having problems dealing with all that extra sugar/refined carbs". Its gonna take a while to steady state yourself back to normal.

I would invest in a good finger prick blood sugar test kit, not necessarily as a daily thing but more as a way to see how your body reacts to different foods. Does cheese raise your blood sugar? Do quest bars? Random packaged keto foods? this takeout chinese food you aren't sure whats in the sauce? Whenever I have new foods I test before I eat, 1 hour after, and 2 hours after to see the effects. If it doesn't jump up more than 20 points the food I consider safe. If it jumps up more than 30 points I don't eat it again. Exercise, dehydration, early morning can bounce your blood sugar numbers around. There are some excellent youtube channels that also test their blood sugar levels for various foods to give you an idea of what you might expect.

The kit I use is the dario one (amazon), i've found it extremely reliable and accurate. Other kits I've bought have been wildly different day to day in readings. All strips tend to become sorta worthless in accuracy after 20-30 days of exposure to air.

Dec 16, 2017
I have Multiple Sclerosis. The keto diet takes down inflammation.

I'd recommend you check out the Wahl Protocol if you haven't heard of it. The author is a doctor who believes people who can manage MS through diet. She has MS herself, and is well researched. Her protocol has three stages and is very keto adjacent. I'm currently at her less restrictive phase since it is very helpful and allows legumes, fruits and quinoa.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
OP since you are prediabetic, I'd advise talking to a nephrologist about your diet if you haven't yet.

The people on ERA could be doctors, keto experts or flat earthers. Don't listen to us, listen to doctors.

Dec 16, 2017
Urine strips are dumb. Those are measuring keytones you're pissing out. They only prove you're eating correctly enough to produce keytones. Eventually your body will learn how to actually use them, and you won't be pissing them out anymore. You could be in heavy ketosis and piss clean on the strips. They are a dumb product.

If you want real numbers, you should do blood strips.

They're helpful when you're starting out to let you know you're on the right track. That's worth something.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
They literally saw a nutritionist.

Keto has lots of potential harms, some of which are very common. It is not good for your body to deprive it of carbs, healthy and balanced diets are much better, but their effects take longer to be noticeable and they don't act "miracles".
Not even worth talking to people like you.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Keto is a tough one, and the data on it is certainly mixed. It has been shown to lower blood sugar over time, but there are certainly other issues as well. The fact that you have other conditions as well makes me hesitant to recommend anything to you without seeking medical help. You could certainly run it by a fourth doctor and see what they think.

In the meantime, try to exercise as much as possible. Eat a lot of fiber. Eat vegetables and meat as much as possible and try to cut simple sugars.

Status
Not open for further replies.