• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Creating a troll thread and antagonizing other users over multiple posts

This man makes movies for people who don't like movies. Scorsese was right and will always be right.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
That reads like it's Feige explaining to Disney higher-ups that some shots that may be assumed to be VFX were real location photography.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Vfx can make things look perfect and pretty up imperfections. Yes it makes directors lazy.

I feel like he is just admiring the beauty of what can be captured on film without vfx

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Hooray, another film gatekeeper thread. /s

I agree Marvel films should allow directors to break out of the "marvel style" though, in terms of cinematography. VFX is super helpful, but can also make directors lazy.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Dude is gonna lose his mind when he finds out some of the effects on Doctor Strange 2 are practical XD

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to impress execs by impressing upon them that it's all real is corny but kinda whatever given, well, execs. the real thing is him not realising the director he hired to work for him had a "signature style"

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
MCU properties have very little cinematographic flair not generated in a CGI studio. Chloe Zhao is way too good to be producing marvel dreck. Glad she's getting paid to do good work tho

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, hopefully this is the type of shit ironed out in reproduction...

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
Vfx can make things look perfect and pretty up imperfections. Yes it makes directors lazy.

I feel like he is just admiring the beauty of what can be captured on film without vfx
That's sorta my read on it. There may have been push back from execs about shooting on location rather than just green screening everything, and he wanted to emphasize the beauty you get when using nature.

Or he's got green screen brain damage.

Either way, the mocking tone of those tweets doesn't sit well with me.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
good job spinning what's a puff piece for Chloe after her Oscar win into salt

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So, did Feige/Marvel Studios blind-hire her or something? How do you hire a director like Zhao and not realize she has a signature style?

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
I'm sure he's feeling terrible
0d1a71fc48fde7bfe84b49fec4720e27.gif

Seriously though, that isn't how I read it at all.

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a weird "I saw a tweet and rushed here to mock it" thread. He's basically just praising practical cinematography, which isn't something you get a lot of in huge blockbusters that will often CGI in mountains and mist and whatever.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Let me get this straight. You're trying to tell me that Producer and Director of Photography are different jobs?

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
The bitter energy radiating from the OP is insane, LMFAO

As some other posters have said, this just reads like he's admiring what was shot without any VFX.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Trying to impress execs by impressing upon them that it's all real is corny but kinda whatever given, well, execs. the real thing is him not realising the director he hired to work for him had a "signature style"
Personally I read it as Feige being the one in the room who needed to keep saying it cause the other execs weren't getting it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
When alone, Scorsese dresses up as superheroes and cries, wishing her could be loved the same way the MCU is.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
If Era spent as much time watching movies as they do complaining about MCU and SW movies cinema would be in a better place lol.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Sounds less like he's dumbfounded by a camera and more that he's impressed with Zhao's eye and talent.

Yes, a camera can capture amazing images, but there's also something to be said for having the talent to actually use it wisely. God knows we, as a society, take more photos per minute now than entire decades past, but that does NOT mean they're anywhere close to actually impressive. I've seen some damned good photographers and cinematographers though and it's not just "point and shoot" and it's also not the equipment.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
OP's obvious joke isn't going to go well for a certain group lol.

But I understand what he was saying... it can be amazing what you can capture on camera that looks like CG.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I mean is this at all shocking? He's a producer not a film maker, I see him more as an executive.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the most pessimistic take possible, I don't see how you can read that and come to the conclusion you came to lol.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
MCU properties have very little cinematographic flair not generated in a CGI studio. Chloe Zhao is way too good to be producing marvel dreck. Glad she's getting paid to do good work tho
Yeah, it's such a shame that she got a blank check to do something completely wild outside the usual restrictions of the MCU - and it sucks that it's going to be seen by hundreds of millions of people who will be exposed to her style, and might be similarly inspired.

Completely sucks that she will basically have a guaranteed path to financing for literally anything she wants to do for the rest of her career. Just such a waste.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I do feel like MCU uses too much CG backgrounds in cases when it's not even necessary. It's something that I notice that non-MCU superhero movies are better at in certain cases, lending a bit more realism to the cinematography.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the only curious part... he didn't know their signature style before hand?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Imagine taking a comment from someone and forcing the dumbest possible interpretation of it not because it makes sense, but because you have sacrificed your sensibility in exchange of fandom.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good look OP spinning a harmless quote in a whole ass article about the accomplishments of a woman of color into comicbook movie salt

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh, I don't think the Feige quote tracks with the thread title/premise.

He was fully aware of cinematography and it was other execs he was pitching it too, like, the opposite of what's being presented here?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Status
Not open for further replies.