• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Some people say it's almost like the movie Alien, where you are gradually finding out what the whole world is about, what you can do and not do. Maybe it gets really fun when you have completed 50 percent of the game. The player, like in shooters and other genres, go into the game with a known rule and you think you know what a game is about. I didn't want to have that feeling. Everyone should start from ground zero. Not knowing how to pick up and play the game. What I have shown makes you puzzled, but it all really makes sense when you play the game."'

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm hoping that's just the way that most games are setup. They're fun to start but they get more fun the more you get into it and the more powerful your character gets.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A bit clickbait-y title OP....

Anyway, the quote makes sense. With Kojima, I have seen a few times where things get lost in translation.

Edit: Mwahahahahahhahahahahaha

Oct 25, 2017
I;m glad I skipped that 80 min of footage and that briefing vid.

I really am going into this not knowing a lot, and I love it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At what percent do I get to start fultoning bears while running around in my croc hat?

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, we get it. You can't put your game into words. It's a new experience. There's only so many ways you can say this before it becomes stale.
Also maybe get a better translator.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can someone clarify why this he keeps claiming that this a "new genre" and not just a sim-style game with sci-fi elements?

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Not a good choice of words but I understand what he was saying, hopefully he didn't literally mean half way through the game it gets fun...

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
"Something must have been lost in translation"

The context is in the very first sentence:
"Some people say it's almost like the movie Alien, where you are gradually finding out what the whole world is about, what you can do and not do."

What Kojima is saying - is that a lot of the mechanics and rule sets of the game is purposefully not exposed to the player, and that you gradually expand that over the course of the game- and then making an example of the possibility that someone will only find their 'aha' moment of the game's mechanics being fun/clear to them way later into the game compared to other players.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously we will get our big twist then and see what all is really about. I think we havent seen shit to this day :)

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
After watching some of IGN's translated Death Stranding presentation. It's now A LOT more apparent that the traversal is MUCH more involved than you would be able to tell just from looking at it. Literally anytime you are carrying packages, you have to be focusing your balance and you adjust with with the left and right triggers. There are also tripping hazards to look out for as well as slippery terrain that needs to be accounted for.

Your stamina also is affected by how well you are balancing your cargo and keeping your balance.

This game is going to be deeper than a lot of people are thinking as far as I can tell from the translations.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII The sequel heh?

Man this game looks great and not so great at the same time, reviews will be interesting.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Game of the Year or Game of the Generation, that's really my only question left at this point. And I refuse to watch any long form videos, no one has to sell me on the game. Ready for November.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Call it The Order: 1866 Cycle:

- All previews indicate the game is little more than style over substance and lacking in satisfying gameplay

- The developers themselves make very alarming statements that call the gameplay into question:

I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.

- "STOP TAKING THE QUOTE OUT OF CONTEXT"

- Game turns out to be a complete piece of shit, spawning such memorable videos

- A small band of diehard fans defend said piece of shit to this very day

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Can someone clarify why this he keeps claiming that this a "new genre" and not just a sim-style game with sci-fi elements?

The long and short of it is that he doesn't want to call it "open world game with traversal + survival sim mechanics + asynchronous multiplayer elements that are built around player connections, community and item/structure building."

So he creates a marketing, self-appointed genre name to describe it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.