• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a fair bit gets lost in translation with Kojima, and that he's in need of better English marketing/PR translators, unless of course he's writing them himself.

Some choice quotes.

But the original Japanese tweet was different...Kojima doesn't write that he became independent. Instead, the original tweet was more matter of fact. "The company was established on December 16, 2015," it reads. He goes to write that he didn't have a proper office, but a small temporary one. "There was no staff, no office, no equipment, nothing. I only had a Kojima Productions logo, a notepad and a pen, and my own computer. While coming up with the project plan, I recruited staff and looked for an office and a game engine. But I wasn't at zero, because the only things I did have were a dream and connections." Kojima didn't say he was going independent, but rather, setting up the company. He acknowledged that he has connections. Of course he does, he's Hideo Kojima!

In other Japanese tweets, he has referred to Kojima Productions as "the newly established, reborn Kojima Productions" (新しく立ち上げた新生コジマプロダクション) and Death Stranding as "the first work I've made since going independent" (独立して初めての作品). The verb dokuritsu suru (独立する) means "to go independent" or "to strike out on one's own." It's a neutral verb and doesn't have the same nuance that the phrase "going indie" would in English.

Yet, the above English language tweet makes it seem like Kojima is doing everything, precisely because that's what the tweet says. The original Japanese tweet does not, however.

The Japanese original tweet explains that "A Hideo Kojima Game" is a statement that he is "involved" (関わる or kakawaru) with all these different facets, not that he is doing them all himself. He is not discounting the work of others.

More in the article.

Hideo Kojima's Controversial Tweets Are Different In Japanese

cdcvvjy5xr96vd5ldbuh.png

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not people's fault for reading the english tweets as they should be read. either don't run an english account or if you do, get better translators.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but since people love a controversy and don't bother to think rationally, we get those kind of knee jerk reactions.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Anyone with a brain cell could figure this out but everyone just wants to have a lukewarm twitter take instead

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's not people's fault for reading the english tweets as they should be read. either don't run an english account or if you do, get better translators.

I mostly agree, but it's certainly still nice to get added context to the original meaning and intent.

The knowledge of as much also means that we more educated or informed posters on forums such as this, should keep this in mind when discussing his English tweets.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
people care way more about assuming the worst and spreading toxicity than they do about exhibiting actual reading comprehension and drawing educated conclusions.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the non native English speaker should make more effort and not the swath of people unable to think for themselves.

Mistakes happen.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
How is a guy who doesn't speak English supposed to know the translation sucks
I feel like an asshole to be native English when people act entitled

Oct 25, 2017
I'd blame people for assuming the worst from everything this man types lol.

Some people really have it in for Kojima, it's honestly pathetic.

OP
OP
nib95

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The era thread about it yesterday was a shitfire and gaming journalists on twitter were practically falling over each other trying to go for the hottest take. It's terribly embarrassing.

To be fair, Jason from Kotaku was one of those people, and yet he posted this article on his twitter. At least he's self aware.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Learn tuh speak muh language chump"
i'm not saying that. english isn't even my first language (it's my third).
i'm just saying after reading the tweets, it's not very realistic to expect everyone to immediately know what the japanese versions of them were trying to say. the average person would take what is said on an official english twitter account literally, without thinking it may be a mistranslation. i do agree that the reactions were a bit over-blown (specially by some devs/journos) but after finding out that there was mistranslation going on, to retroactively calling out those who were reacting to the english tweets (without context) seems a bit unfair.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are running an english page you should at least have a social media manager capable of writing in english.

Of course people will misinterpret everything if the message it's not clear, that's not rocket science.
He does have someone who can write in English. It's just that that person's English isn't college educated. They miss some of the nuance in their words. The English in his tweets is perfectly acceptable and readable.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
User warned: system wars
Or maybe people could not get riled up for nothing, although that'll never happen now that he's making a Sony exclusive.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
In general i want to say the ppl coming at him for his tweets dont care about what he's actually saying

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
i wasnt even aware there was a controversy until that kotaku article got RT'd onto my timeline.
I still don't get it.
People were upset he used the word independet to describe himself?

Or is this one of those fake controversies were people will say there is a controversy but it's just 3 people on twitter?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
The outrage thread here was garbage, but not as bad as my Twitter TL. I've lost a lot of respect for a lot of people yesterday.
While Schreier was petty AF about this, at least he posted the link to the article. Most just jumped on the bandwagon and will never speak another word of it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
i'm just saying after reading the tweets, it's not very realistic to expect everyone to immediately know what the japanese versions of them were trying to say. the average person would take what is said on an official english twitter account literally, without thinking it may be a mistranslation. i do agree that the reactions were a bit over-blown (specially by some devs/journos) but after finding out that there was mistranslation going on, to retroactively calling out those who were reacting to the english tweets (without context) seems a bit unfair.
It was dumb to read the tweets like that anyway. Kojima is one of the best directors at crediting everyone involved with his games.

interpreting even the English tweet as him taking credit for everything about the game and"fuck everyone else on the team" was already purposefully ignorant and just trying to find something to hate.

We know his English isn't the best, but context clues are a thing.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I'm you there but to add to your point definitely think people overreacted. It would help if he had a PR person to help him with getting out English Tweets concisely.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

People could have apologized after jumping at his neck or, you know, waited for like a single hour before better translations came out. It was a shitfest all around.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
People love drama, and when they're allowed to troll theses threads they're gonna keep doing it. Just use your head people and stop having stupid internet grudges against game creators.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Kotaku only reads ERA because this dumb shit is only "controversial" on this forum that lashes out at just about anything and over analyzes the dumbest shit

Status
Not open for further replies.