• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

The family that owns well-known consumer brands like Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Keurig Dr. Pepper and Panera Bread say their Nazi ancestors used slave labor during World War II.

The Reimann family, which owns the controlling stake in JAB Holdings and is reportedly one of the richest families in Germany, will donate €10 million, or $11 million, to a yet-undisclosed charity after a three-year investigation that it commissioned discovered details of their ancestors' behavior.

A family spokesperson said Albert Reimann Sr., who died in 1954, and Albert Reimann Jr., who died in 1984, used Russian civilian prisoners and French prisoners of war as forced labor in their factories during the war, and that they were anti-Semites and avowed supporters of Adolf Hitler.

The investigation also found that Reimann Sr. donated to Hitler's paramilitary SS force as early as 1931.

Investigators also found a letter from Reimann Jr. to a local mayor complaining that the French prisoners of war weren't working hard enough and should be in prison.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
So they self investigated themselves to see if there was merit to the fact?
It's good that it seems they want to get away from it and that they're going to donate money.

I hope the current company doesn't have any kind of affiliation, although I'd imagine it would have came out in the same investigation

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why Krispy Kreme is highlighted in the headline, they own a lot of other brands and have only been recently associated with KK for a few years.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
€10 million is nothing. I suppose it's good that their admitting it and trying to be better, but they're fucking billionaires. If they really cared they'd be donating an amount that would actually put a dent in their net worth.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
€10 million is nothing. I suppose it's good that their admitting it and trying to be better, but they're fucking billionaires. If they really cared they'd be donating an amount that would actually put a dent in their net worth.
Yeah especially when they used forced labor. But it's still better than nothing and acknowledging it is half the battle and I'm glad they did it. Sometimes admitting is the hardest part. Looking at you, Japanese government.

Status
Not open for further replies.