• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Translation in the title.

This is pretty sad, or rather, it's a giant Oof.

------------------------------

Clarifications:

Someone with better Japanese can correct me on this if I'm wrong, I'd maybe caution about reading too much into what specifically has been lost here. I do believe that their physical archives - past genga, settei, storyboards and all - we stored in that building and therefore presumably destroyed, but when it comes to the computer comment I'm not sure there's anything in the article that implies more than the fact that the computer hardware they keep on site has been destroyed, and nothing at all about any kind of loss of digital archives.

Now, that's not exactly a small loss for the company - I believe it's the site where they did all the photography and compositing work - but it doesn't mean any digital work the studio has done over it's lifetime has necessarily been lost.
Hatta isn't saying that all their current work is gone or destroyed. He is lamenting the loss of studio culture and legacy from the fire because all the design materials and original animation sheets from their past works which were stored in the studio are gone forever now.

Last edited:

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
As someone not familiar with the genre, is their released material widely available or is some of it lost forever?

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, I hope they can come back from this.

Though I wonder why nothing digital was backed up or preserved offsite. I know Japan is a country that still regularly uses fax machines in offices but NAS or cloud backups is not exactly infeasible.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very sad to hear, especially with the death toll now being at 34.

I would also assume that all of their upcoming projects are now either delayed indefinitely or cancelled.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't have off-site data back up for the digital stuff? This whole situation is very sad. I read an article that 2/3 of the deaths were women.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Im more upset about the loss of life rather than material but I get where they are coming from.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When I talk to people about this tragedy, they wonder if Kyoto Animation can recover.

I just don't know. :(

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, not only did the survivors lose co-workers/friends, they also lost who knows how many hours of labour.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
From the other thread:
Someone with better Japanese can correct me on this if I'm wrong, I'd maybe caution about reading too much into what specifically has been lost here. I do believe that their physical archives - past genga, settei, storyboards and all - we stored in that building and therefore presumably destroyed, but when it comes to the computer comment I'm not sure there's anything in the article that implies more than the fact that the computer hardware they keep on site has been destroyed, and nothing at all about any kind of loss of digital archives.

Now, that's not exactly a small loss for the company - I believe it's the site where they did all the photography and compositing work - but it doesn't mean any digital work the studio has done over it's lifetime has necessarily been lost.

Hatta isn't saying that all their current work is gone or destroyed. He is lamenting the loss of studio culture and legacy from the fire because all the design materials and original animation sheets from their past works which were stored in the studio are gone forever now.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As someone not familiar with the genre, is their released material widely available or is some of it lost forever?

Japanese animation studies in general aren't that great at storing and preserving their material, especially small/medium scale studios.

Gainax for example lost the original audio tracks of Gunbuster and plenty of cells from all of their shows.

However no official news about what was lost in this case was shared yet, so I won't speculate much about it.

For sure their key/in-between animations for their current project are gone tho, that's going to be a major setback.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
The quote seems to have been initially mistranslated, and as is this thread might give the wrong impression.

Please wait for official word about what was lost. Try not to create threads about news in other languages unless you are a fluent speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.