• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

That's the second of these patched games that's affected the loading quite massively (the other one being TLOUR), so it seems like Sony is touching loading-related stuff for some games, likely in preparation for the PS5, and the PS4 is also seeing improvements due to it.

Oct 25, 2017
What is happening exactly?

What changed in the PS4 that now all of a sudden load times are being drastically reduced?

Like, the hardware is the hardware.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020

That's the second of these patched games that's affected the loading quite massively (the other one being TLOUR), so it seems like Sony is touching loading-related stuff for some games, likely in preparation for the PS5, and the PS4 is also seeing improvements due to it.

Literally slogged through this crapfest 3 weeks ago, less load times would have made go alot faster, great news.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Did they introduce the PS5 compression in some patch? Interesting how much you could do without some super SSD technology...

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's super cool! I can't wait to replay my PS4 games on PS5 with improvements :D

Oct 25, 2017
If PS4 games could have had way faster loading all along... why now? What did they figure out?

This should make back compat loading very impressive if these software improvements are further enhanced by PS5 hardware.

edit: apparently it wasn't even patched and this is just boost mode being enabled?

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
How are they doing this?? Sony what kinda of black magic is this?? I demand answers*!!

A technical breakdown!!

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny that atm I'm actually more excited about the better loading times of older games than I am about playing the new ones lol.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I'm really interested to hear about whatever tech they came up with to do this

I highly suspect this is oodle texture kraken compression. It is going to fly on PS5, probably ~15+GB/sec. Looks at the effect it's having on current gen games - TLOU2 from 1:30 to 13 seconds. Until Dawn is practically instant. On PS5 with the SSD it will allow easily the kind of streaming Cerny was talking about where the only textures loaded into RAM are the ones directly seen by the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.