• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
User Banned (2 Weeks): Spreading misinformation and creating a misleading thread through not watching source video.

In this episode, Chelsea has a candid conversation with YouTuber and author Lindsay Ellis about being canceled online, the negative impact of platforms like Twitter, and how we can all have better interactions online

tenor.gif

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
lol, get fucked. both her and Natalie mask fell so hard these past 2 weeks.

EDIT: this was an incredibly and misinformed overreaction from my part, and i apologize.

Last edited:

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
I see the knives are already out 3 minutes after posting so clearly watching the video isn't necessary for anyone to have an opinion.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a summary? Gonna be honest, I don't want to sit and listen to the entire conversation to gain the required context.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
She was "cancelled" over Avatar: the Last Airbender? Care to provide some context for those of us who can't watch?

I see the knives are already out 3 minutes after posting so clearly watching the video isn't necessary for anyone to have an opinion.

Low effort OPs that just post a link and say "discuss" are explicitly against the ToS from what I recall.

Aug 13, 2019
But you weren't even fucking canceled! That shit doesn't even happen most of the time it's brought up and even if it does happen it sure as fuck didn't happen to you! God fucking damn.

I have shamefully fallen for clickbait and a dishonest OP to drop a steaming shit take.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
She was "cancelled" over Avatar: the Last Airbender? Care to provide some context for those of us who can't watch?
From this site https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/03/28/why-is-lindsay-ellis-cancelled-twitter-drama-explained/

On March 26, Lindsay became the center of attention after she tweeted her thoughts on 'Raya' and 'Avatar: The Last Airbender.' In a now-deleted tweet, she wrote: "Also watched Raya and the Last Dragon and I think we need to come up with a name for this genre that is basically Avatar: the Last Airbender reduxes. It's like half of all YA fantasy published in the last few years anyway."

Her tweet received backlash and in a bid to justify her statement, Lindsay made another tweet. She wrote: "I can see where if you squint I was implying all Asian-inspired properties are the same, especially if you were already privy to those conversations where I had not seen them. But the basic framework of TLA is becoming popular in fantasy fiction outside of Asian inspired stuff."

Unfortunately, people were not pleased with her statement, and the backlash continued. Several Twitter users jumped on the bandwagon of cancel culture and called Lindsay out for her words.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
"Breadtube to reactionary grifter pipeline" is a tremendously ugly phrase and concept but on some level I feel that's what we're seeing with all this "I AM A CANCELED CREATOR!" bullshit.
What happened with Lindsay?
The most recent big blow up that I'm aware of is her saying that all Asian-influenced fantasy looks and feels the same, in response to Raya and the Last Dragon. She caught a lot of flak for it and did not handle things gracefully.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
"the financial aftermath of being cancelled" aka im still rich as hell but im mad about it

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She posted this of Twitter:

Also watched Raya and the Last Dragon and I think we need to come up with a name for this genre that is basically Avatar: The Last Airbender reduxes. It's like half of all YA fantasy published in the last few years
People thought it was racist or inappropriate, I personally don't get the controversy...but here we are.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
usually when people whine about being "cancelled", a good amount of people are against them or w/e... but iirc most people were on her side for the Avatar drama, wtf is she on about lol

Coming from someone who thought that her initial tweet didn't warrant any ire, but felt rather uncomfortable that it seemed like other Asians that were uncomfortable seemed to be getting their feelings brushed aside like they were some sort of blind hater (imo feeding into that typical occurrence where Asians speaking out about issues always seem to get brushed aside or put down)... it's just kind of ick to bring it up again as a bit of a "there-there" moment.

Yes, apologies should be organic, but the way she responded was not the way to go imo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Lindsay Ellis? The woman who still has hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers?

Cancelled? lmao.

She made some half-baked take about YA media, The Last Airbender, & Raya, and got backlash and temporarily disabled her Twitter.

She was in no way "cancelled". The fact that she's trying to grift through that experience is pathetic.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Lindsay made a Twitter hot take comparing Raya to Avatar.
Backlash happened while she slept
She responded poorly which led to twitter dragging up every terrible thing she's ever done online
She responded via video essay
<time passes>
Something happened two weeks ago(?)
This video came out.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
she said Raya and the Last Dragon was similar to Avatar
She held up Avatar as the prime example of Asian myth-inspired fiction (it was made by white dudes), then doubled down when called out.

Then she made references to people that were criticizing her 'squinting' (which may not have been intentional but was LITERALLY THE WORST WAY SHE COULD HAVE PHRASED IT) and just kept doubling down until she temporally deleted her Twitter.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I know. But you said that the mask fell from both Natalie and Lindsay, implying that she did or said something worthy of "getting fucked", and you so eloquently put it.
when Lindsay uses the same lines as right wing commonly does when they get "cancelled", i feel a statement such as mine is justified. no need for the condescension.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

People thought it was racist or inappropriate, I personally don't get the controversy...but here we are.
You missed this part:
She wrote: "I can see where if you squint I was implying all Asian-inspired properties are the same, especially if you were already privy to those conversations where I had not seen them. But the basic framework of TLA is becoming popular in fantasy fiction outside of Asian inspired stuff."
She ain't slick.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
[timestamped; 26:50 if it dudn't work]

This seems like a big nothingburger TBH, nor do I know who The Financial Diet is. Lindsey definitely wasn't cancelled for a dumb statement, she probably still has a lot of followers so this is just...kinda pointless and some dumb "there there" to another social media star, being hosted by a financial-focused social media star, and getting caught up in their own popularity or something. Bleh.

It's clickbait
The title: "The financial aftermath of being canceled"

The actual content: "Well, there wasn't really a financial impact."

What even is this.

☝️
This. This thread is pointless; more people are catching up on her Avatar/Raya controversy than even watching the video that says there wasn't much effect.

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Is there a summary? Gonna be honest, I don't want to sit and listen to the entire conversation to gain the required context.
Ellis said Raya and the Last Dragon was similar to Avatar the Last Airbender. People were upset because they took that as her saying a movie about Asian people is interchangeable with a show (made by white people) with a lot of Asian influenced themes and style.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
Whether or not it meets your personal definition of "canceled", acting like voluminous and targeted social media vitriol should be able to be waved off by the target or they're just making a big deal out of nothing is a hell of a tactless take.

Mar 10, 2018
"Breadtube to reactionary grifter pipeline" is a tremendously ugly phrase and concept but on some level I feel that's what we're seeing with all this "I AM A CANCELED CREATOR!" bullshit.

The most recent big blow up that I'm aware of is her saying that all Asian-influenced fantasy looks and feels the same, in response to Raya and the Last Dragon. She caught a lot of flak for it and did not handle things gracefully.

Lindsay Ellis? The woman who still has hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers?

Cancelled? lmao.

She made some half-baked take about YA media, The Last Airbender, & Raya, and got backlash and temporarily disabled her Twitter.

She was in no way "cancelled". The fact that she's trying to grift through that experience is pathetic.
I see. Not a good look for her.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
lol bruh...

I absolutely understand that it must be overwhelming in the heat of the moment getting pinged on twitter by hundreds of people about Your Bad Take. Social media platforms are toxic like that.

It doesn't absolve you of criticism though? Especially after you doubled (tripled even) down instead of apologizing. And it certainly doesn't excuse playing victim for literally months now after the fact.

You had some bad tweets that you could have easily turned into a learning experience for yourself... maybe leaning into cancellation hysteria is more profitable though?

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ellis said Raya and the Last Dragon was similar to Avatar the Last Airbender. People were upset because they took that as her saying a movie about Asian people is interchangeable with a show (made by white people) with a lot of Asian influenced themes and style.

Some people were upset, and lots of general far right harassers jumped in to share their folders of collected dirt.
Did anyone watch her reckoning video?

4QYOs7Z.png

www.patreon.com

Lindsay Ellis | Patreon

Creating novels, documentaries, the written word

"Financial Aftermath"

From the video:

ellis - "People don't realize I am a company. All the money from patreon goes back into company payroll. I have 7 employees and pay for 9 people's health insurance. All I really make is from my books". (paraphrased, timestamped)

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

I'm aware of the original issue, I'm talking about this specific video and her speaking on the financial aspect of being "cancelled." Because given her own explanation video, and her Death of An Author essays, she doesn't really believe in the concept of being "cancelled" herself. So based on prior context, it's probably her speaking in the vein of those two rhetorical stances.

Status
Not open for further replies.