• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the moment she did that bullshit "Apology" video to Stephanie Meyer and COMPLETELY sidestepped the racism issues surround Twilight, I knew something like this might happen...

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What is AAPI ?

I tryed googling but aparently there are like 32 companies with the same name that google wants me to know about

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Where in that tweet did Lindsey Ellis say the cultures specifically were the same? Or that ATLA was the "standard" for asian fantasy stories?

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Yikes. Did Lindsay post anything else before deleting her account? Based on the level of anger I see around Twitter there sounds like there was something else on top.

What is AAPI ?

I tryed googling but aparently there are like 32 companies with the same name that google wants me to know about

Asian American Pacific Islander, I believe.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Yeah, this seems like a pretty major case of not actually thinking through an issue properly before attempting to make a critical "gotcha" tweet about it. Not a great look, regardless.

What is AAPI ?

Asian-American and Pacific Islander, I would guess.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Ok, I'm lost. Can I get some context for the Lindsay Ellis tweet? I knew the ATLA movie was garbage (I watched it) but does it really need its own category of fantasy?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So um, how long until the YouTube apology video that begins with her giving a big sigh?

Ok, I'm lost. Can I get some context for the Lindsay Ellis tweet? I knew the ATLA movie was garbage (I watched it) but does it really need its own category of fantasy?

It was her trying to be witty and failing utterly, hence why she deleted her twitter account.

This really sucks. I loved Ellis and her videos (Twilight one aside). Don't have heroes, I guess...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy, cause her brand is being super informed, doing the researched, and crossing the Ts. Like you literally only have one job

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
lindsay seems incapable of

- apologizing
- saying she was wrong

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I've read all those tweets but I still don't quite understand what's offensive about the Lindsey tweet. I haven't seen ATLA or Raya which may be why I'm confused.

Will someone here help me understand better?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

I don't think she's talking about the movie. I think she's talking about the show, and saying it's in the same genre as Raya. I could be completely wrong, as I haven't watched Raya yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Who would've thought the white who did this
EmVtGemWMAIlkdy

Would have been engaged with this? Never saw it coming.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Asian American and Pacific Islander
Asian American Pacific Islander, I believe.
Asian-American and Pacific Islander, I would guess.
Asian American and Pacific Ilander.
Asian American + Pacific Islanders

I absolutely love how you people either are not sure or write it a different way every time

Thanks !
The general idea was pretty understandable with context but I was thinking something like the I meant india for all asian countries
makes more sense this way

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
God forbid someone just say "I'm sorry, I really fucked up when I said that" instead of either

A. Tucking tail and running

B. Doubling Down

C. Ignoring it

or

D. "Sorry that you were offended"

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the moment she did that bullshit "Apology" video to Stephanie Meyer and COMPLETELY sidestepped the racism issues surround Twilight, I knew something like this might happen...

She could've saved herself from a lot of criticism by just directing the apology to Twilight fans as opposed to Meyer. Because she doesn't deserve any apologies.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Imagine acting like there is an issue with the rise of non-European YA fantasy books and media out there.

It's crazy, cause her brand is being super informed, doing the researched, and crossing the Ts. Like you literally only have one job
It literally brings out the shit side of people.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
I don't think Lindsay was being malicious, and I doubt many here think that either. I also don't think this was worth nuking her twitter account over lol.

Just say 'sorry I didn't consider what's happening right now in the world in regards to what I posted'. It seems like she's making drama for herself by not apologizing.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i read lots of asian novels, (god bless novel updates), and i cant remember to see stories like avatar tbh

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Lindsay has had her good takes but over the years she's gotten more and more of a typical white lib who acts embarrassing on social media. She could have just said "sorry, that was an inappropriate generalization" but idk I guess this was her line in the sand.

Public figures having social media accounts has generally been a net negative on society, I think.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think she's talking about the movie. I think she's talking about the show, and saying it's in the same genre as Raya. I could be completely wrong, as I haven't watched Raya yet.
Raya and Avatar share similar themes, but that's because both are based on various mythologies from across Southeast Asia. So yeah, Raya would have Avatar qualities, ut that's like saying Dragon Age has Game of Thrones qualities when they're both based on similar and overlapping mythologies.

It's a tone deaf statement.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I've read all those tweets but I still don't quite understand what's offensive about the Lindsey tweet. I haven't seen ATLA or Raya which may be why I'm confused.

Will someone here help me understand better?

I'm confused too. She's saying that there's been toomany YA stories that continue to fit the ATLA theme: chosen child destined to fight off an evil empire and save the world. She's not wrong. YA novels and stories have been rather creativity bankrupt since Twilight.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a godawful take.

like, she might apologize eventually, but you gotta wonder why she didnt see from the outs that she fucked up that take

take the L and try to learn
I would be more hopeful that she would do so if it wasn't for the whole Contrapoints situation where she sided with Natalie.

Edit:
im looking some up on twitter, but i have no way of knowing for sure if they were legit or not since i aint been following this wreck

ExdPNx3VgAAfznc
If that is a true tweet I guess that answers it.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
here's another one i found

again, dunno if it's actually real, so if you know they aint real let me know and ill remove them

ExcmgkuUUAQnI-5

Oct 27, 2017
Raya and Avatar share similar themes, but that's because both are based on various mythologies from across Southeast Asia. So yeah, Raya would have Avatar qualities, ut that's like saying Dragon Age has Game of Thrones qualities when they're both based on similar and overlapping mythologies.

It's a tone deaf statement.

Even I've read other YA fantasy that seems heavily inspired by Avatar. Children of Blood & Bone is a Nigerian American fantasy that reminded me of Avatar

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I found the last tweets regarding the whole thing. Posted on a discord channel that linked to the tweets

I can see where if you squint I was implying all asian-inspired properties are the same, especially if you were already privy to those conversations where I had not seen them. But the basic framework of TLA is becoming popular in fantasy fiction outside of Asian-inspired stuff

And you know what, you're right. Someone once joked I don't tweet like someone with 300k + followers, and they were right too. I don't get the luxury of a throwaway tweet, and I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.