• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
As someone who loved Control but never got a chance to play Alan Wake back in the day, I was keen to pick up the remaster and get the full picture of the world Remedy has created. I'm also a big David Lynch/Twin Peaks fan and AW wears the influence on its sleeve. So I thought it might be fun to take a page (pun intended) from Mr. Wake's book and chronicle my journey.

Episode 1

"A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night"

So far so good, so good so weird. While the graphics and animations may still be dated, although impressively cleaned up, the atmosphere is palpable. The game's story is exactly as described to me over the years - Twin Peaks by way of Stephen King. While the lead my be stock (I'm surprised Remedy resisted the urge to give him a drinking problem on top of everything else), I love everything this game is a love leter to so far. Barely started and the story is already blurring the lines between dreams, stories, fiction and reality. It's 100% up my alley and the type of meta-nonsense I live for in fiction.

I recognised that diner design btw. The black coffee reference too. Very nice ;)

Based on the game's influences and the King quote at the beginning, I'm guessing non of this will be adequately explained. Which I prefer. Let the abstractions and mysteries stand alone as they should.

Also as I said, I've already played Control so I'm well aware of Alan's ultimate fate. That like Dale Cooper before him, his journey into the unknown will ultimately end with Alan trapped between worlds, lost forever. Still excited to see it play out though.

I'm a little worried about the manuscript collectibles. They seem to be describing events that haven't happened yet, so I hope they don't spoil anything. I wonder if the game might play around with that. Have the story diverge from how it's written. That would be fun.

On the technical side, the gameplay isn't exactly blowing me away but that's okay. Plus small things like Alan not actually picking up the phone when he dials someone. No big deal, I'm here for the ride.

I'll try and update after each episode.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
We still have an active OT going for the game, so please post continue this discussion there

www.resetera.com

Alan Wake Remastered |OT| Alone in the Dark OT

👩‍💻 Developer: Remedy 📀 Publisher: Epic Games 🎮 Platforms: PC (EGS); PlayStation 4 (retail, PSN); PlayStation 5 (retail, PSN); Xbox One (retail, XBL); Xbox Series X|S (retail, XBL) 🏷️ Price: $29.99/€29.99/£24.99 or your regional equivalent* 📅 Release date: October 5th, 2021 * Pricing on...

Status
Not open for further replies.