• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate on some of these?

If you only want to elaborate on a few of them, I'd be most interested in:

Kyonna
Pirate Malus (lol, love this one)
Fando
For the first two, there are slight meta feels here and there that made me feel good enough to not throw them in the "to-do" pile with everyone else.

I've felt good about posts coming from both Kyan and Donna so far, mainly meta-based stuff. I've only seen Donna as Town, but her being a bit tentative about her early reads seems about right to me, and Kyan has had some pretty good townish posts in my eyes as well. I'd like to hear more from Donna, but in my experience she isn't the strongest on D1, so I don't really feel the need to pressure her too much yet.

Pirate Bae, honestly I'm just hoping she's Town this time lol. There is a bit of weird WIFOM stuff that only applies to me where I don't think she would try to pick apart my read on Monkey like that if she was Scum, but that's nothing. Malus I could use some more from. This is probably one that should be examined more thoroughly though, I need more from both of them.

As for Frando, Fran is probably one of my top town leans right now, I really like his engagement with the game and he's definitely scum hunting around. Fandorin too, even though he hasn't had as much, but I still like what he has brought so far from what I can remember.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Stu is that he could be ANGERY because he did not intent to be seen as scum when he wanted to appear as the reasonable voice that guides the townies towards the actual discussion from the perils of jokes and may-mays.
Pushing angry Stu for scum DOES seem like a thing that happens so I could buy that being the plan, with scum casually pushing kitsu along to keep it going

Kyanrute

Oct 25, 2017
Tomato
Random one liners:

Stan is in character, his tell is getting content out of him on D[BIGNUMBER] so perhaps he could ease my mind by doing it earlier than usual.
What is scum Fanto like? Does he post a lot as well? Big posts as well?
Brazil town #feels. Geno too #feels.
Sorryan's silly antics was odd but it kinda got cohesive afterwards so that is kk.
Is Xbro hiding scum?

I should stop there, the more I write these the more #feels gets used as a basis for the argument.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think your season on MU had some scum open up with a bunch of drunk posts (like really drunk) so I'm never counting that out lol
In my game someone who was scum did it (but not as an opener). Sure scum can do it. But I've played scum with Sky and he's self conscious about it. I can't imagine Chuggs would be chill, either. Regardless, I find Chuggs down to earth and open in his posts today. I don't get anything scummy off either of them at all.

Natiko, why are you still voting Z-Beat and CS?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
In my game someone who was scum did it (but not as an opener). Sure scum can do it. But I've played scum with Sky and he's self conscious about it. I can't imagine Chuggs would be chill, either. Regardless, I find Chuggs down to earth and open in his posts today. I don't get anything scummy off either of them at all.

Natiko, why are you still voting Z-Beat and CS?
Z-Beat hasn't done anything to make me feel remotely different thus far. I will be moving my vote to Bae though if she either A) does in fact ignore my question or B) answers it in a less than impressive manner.

Kyanrute

Oct 25, 2017
Tomato
Stuart is really good at this game, but I've noticed he tends to come out of the gate rough sometimes. His posting is weird, but I've seen town Stuart be kind of weird and get super scum read on day 1 before. Dude is also on a team with Monkey, another very good player and I actually like her posts today.

The arguments against them just kind of feel like the usual day one arguments to me and I'm not super convinced on them. A town Monkey and Stuart will be super useful to town later down the line and I feel like it'll be really obvious if they're scum or not if we just leave them around for a bit. I want good town players later in the game. Monkey and Stuart are good town players.

Assuming similar circumstances, do you think that there is anybody else that can be given similar special treatment?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
There are holes in what you are quoting and responding to that tells me you are skipping chunks of the thread, I can't tell how much of that is you posting before actually catching up and how much is you losing extra time to work during the day today, regardless, yeah, I'm aware you usually read the thread as both alignments, that's what's confusing me here.
I'm simply trying to post less. Dunno what else to tell you, my dude.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming similar circumstances, do you think that there is anybody else that can be given similar special treatment?

Me.

In all seriousness if I was actually sold on the arguments for Stuart and Monkey being scum I would at least consider voting there, but it just feels like a typical day 1 scum read, and there's just not enough there to make me confident in that vote. Coupled that with me thinking this early day isn't that far off from what I expect from Stuart and I just really don't think it's a good plan.

I was in Brexit 2 with Stuart. Everyone and their mother was scum reading him early there. He then managed to hit the entire scum on like day 3, and that was probably why town won that game.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Reki - you studied up by reading a few games before jumping in. How do you think the pair mechanic is going to impact reads?

First, I'm sorry it took this long.

It makes things a bit messier. You pointed at Kitsunelaine for forgetting the mechanic in her reads, but I could see it happening to me too.

Thing is, you have 17 couples, and that's a bit too much to remember when normally reading the thread. What I mean is, if you're making a read list you'll probably check the roster, but a lot of the stuff someone picks up to comment about is through "simple" reading of the thread. The normal back-and-forth could be kind of oblivious to the mechanic for the few first days until the roster size is reduced and we're more accustomed to those weird couple names.

Then you have to consider the pairs with different playstyles. You can sustain reads on meta comments about playstyles in past games, or point out at changes in this game. Returning to Kitsunelaine, I've read her before and she is like this omnipresent player that comments on everything. Kalor, on the contrary, has posted less (not throwing shade or anything). So... are those reads precise? Does it take just one shady move from one player to condemn the couple? Don't know, but personally I've tried to talk with Xbro a lot (an amazing and supportive partner by the way).

How do you think the scum team might strategize around it?

Now this is a bit more complicated, since playing as mafia could take a lot more coordination, and the changes in playstyle can be linked to specific strategies. I do believe though that, with proper communication, it's far easier to appear innocent. You and others read us as town almost solely from one post after all, and that's something a mafia member could pull off as well.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say you were a town leader, I said the tone of your post gave me that feeling of authority.

Okay. So what do you actually think of the gamestate right now? Since we're not peddling forward inactives to the forefront now.
That checks out with how I remember scum!Ty playing and now I'm more aware of him. Thanks for that.

Zippedpinhead anything about the game besides mafia theory? Because I don't think you have posted any read or comment of the game so far. Fanto is carrying you at this point.
I guess you two had the same thoughts at the same time.

I think that there is a lot of people just trying to keep up. Its a lot of posts to break through. For what its worth, I feel that Brazil is playing a pretty town feel game. and I agree with my partner Fantomas's reads as well. There are a few people that are just playing their standard day 1, like Sorian, which neither town reads or scum leans.

I'm still not sure why Dr Monkey asked the mechanics questions of me. It just felt out of place.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
You and others read us as town almost solely from one post after all, and that's something a mafia member could pull off as well.
Mmm, a couple people did for your big post, but I had y'all down in my town pile earlier than that. But it's not a firm read. Typically on d1, I like to sort people into "let's not vote these unless something changes" and "focus here." Especially in bigger games. Makes it easier.

As for the rest, I appreciate your thoughtful answers. I hope we keep you. You raise good points about meta reads (which are terribly flawed and yet we lean on them anyway). Meta reads also break at a certain point in different game states - like this is a bigger game and so some people will adjust around that, but we, as readers, don't always readjust. Plus a dependence on meta is a problem when we bring in new players. But this is all amorphous and doesn't have much to do with the game state. Good talk for tactical thread later.

Speaking of later, I'm going to be very spotty now for several hours.

I'm still not sure why Dr Monkey asked the mechanics questions of me. It just felt out of place.
I wanted to get you talking. You didn't seem to be doing it on your own. Now we're suspecting people for playing mafia, I see. Cool, cool.

Fran

Oct 25, 2017
What is bothering about Stuart is that the last time we played together he was scumreaded by everyone on D2 after a false red check but even then he tried really hard to push against it. He made a big effort to try to stay alive even when everything was against him. Now, he is getting some scum reads and it seems that he just gave up and decided to act grumpy.

Verelios TheChuggernaut Funky Dude Sparks Zippedpinhead Kalor All of you played that game too. What do you think about that?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
What is bothering about Stuart is that the last time we played together he was scumreaded by everyone on D2 after a false red check but even then he tried really hard to push against it. He made a big effort to try to stay alive even when everything was against him. Now, he is getting some scum reads and it seems that he just gave up and decided to act grumpy.

Verelios TheChuggernaut Funky Dude Sparks Zippedpinhead Kalor All of you played that game too. What do you think about that?
As of now, nothing. It's different yeah, but Stu has on and off games of doggedly hanging on and acting defeated when he's scum or town and things don't fall in place. It's not a good look for him though, I can say that.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017

was that Monopoly? because you and me remember monopoly very very differently...

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Mmm, a couple people did for your big post, but I had y'all down in my town pile earlier than that. But it's not a firm read. Typically on d1, I like to sort people into "let's not vote these unless something changes" and "focus here." Especially in bigger games. Makes it easier.

As for the rest, I appreciate your thoughtful answers. I hope we keep you. You raise good points about meta reads (which are terribly flawed and yet we lean on them anyway). Meta reads also break at a certain point in different game states - like this is a bigger game and so some people will adjust around that, but we, as readers, don't always readjust. Plus a dependence on meta is a problem when we bring in new players. But this is all amorphous and doesn't have much to do with the game state. Good talk for tactical thread later.

Speaking of later, I'm going to be very spotty now for several hours.

I wanted to get you talking. You didn't seem to be doing it on your own. Now we're suspecting people for playing mafia, I see. Cool, cool.
I don't like this post. I don't like it in a rhyhme, I don't like it with a pie. I don't like it anywhere, I just don't like it Dr. Monkey Bear.

This is a classic pocket move. I see you again.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017

either way, I'm not reading too hard into it. Stu knew that was a false red check that game, and information gained from his death and defense could still help town. Here its day 1 and nothing is really "concrete". Unless i missed some day actions.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW: My emotions are all over the place these days, even irl/outside the game.

Some of that is bound to bleed into the game which can result in my scattered attitude at times.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this post. I don't like it in a rhyhme, I don't like it with a pie. I don't like it anywhere, I just don't like it Dr. Monkey Bear.

This is a classic pocket move. I see you again.

Pocketing is like, trying to get someone on your side by talking good things about their stuff, right?

I can see the point, you also doubted Natiko for his reads on us.

Hope things get better for you soon Stuart444 !

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
They might be giants. I didn't played Monopoly.
ah ok, I will be honest, I don't remember a lot of TMBG. Was that the one where you were scum and TWE was a unlimited roleblocker?

yep that's the one.

Yeah same deal Stuart knew that town could get information from the defense and flip from the false red check. not the same issue here.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pocketing is like, trying to get someone on your side by talking good things about their stuff, right?

*dashes in*

Tip for Newbies Chapter 6: Yes, that is pocketing.

Gotta go fast

*dashes away*

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, it's not so much that they're being nice or agreeable with posts, it's being overly nice and complimentary that gets me thinking.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Specifically when scum does it to town btw. I don't think it's called anything special if town is doing it to someone.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
VOTE: TheChuggernaut

He has a solid amount of posts, and a not so solid amount of scumhunting. On the contrary, there's a consistent theme in his posts of soft defending people.

Yeah, I think the no lynch discussion is a waste. I just don't see scum trying to that with how frowned upon it is, and Rac also put that down among a bunch of meme votes so whatever.
Stuart is really good at this game, but I've noticed he tends to come out of the gate rough sometimes. His posting is weird, but I've seen town Stuart be kind of weird and get super scum read on day 1 before. Dude is also on a team with Monkey, another very good player and I actually like her posts today.

The arguments against them just kind of feel like the usual day one arguments to me and I'm not super convinced on them. A town Monkey and Stuart will be super useful to town later down the line and I feel like it'll be really obvious if they're scum or not if we just leave them around for a bit. I want good town players later in the game. Monkey and Stuart are good town players.
I was telling my partner yesterday that I need to look through his post again so he's a null for now. I feel okay about B-Dubs through and I might catch flak for this read, but he comes across as an inexperienced townie who's trying to avoid dying on day 1 again and bumbled it because of that

This all feels to me like scum scared to be too bold, especially in light of the legitimately surprising amount of actual discussion for a D1. Outside of this, it's mostly a bunch of filler posts that aren't really notable in any way.

Looking at his beloved SkyOdin's posts, there's honestly not l that much that's notable. I would say he's made maybe a few posts worth looking at? One is your basic anti no lunch post, but with an interesting aside at the end.

So if someone is going to vote for no lynch, I would really like to hear an explanation for why.

I find this interesting in light of Chuggernaut's posts, as I get a similar feeling of trying to be inoffensive.

Then we have SkyOdin going against Sorian.

I don't like this post. This was in response to Fantomas quoting a bunch of Dr. Monkey's posts. However, I don't think Sorian ever elaborated on what the "important bit" was. What bothers me though is the tone Sorian takes here. Throughout this day so far, Sorian has been projecting an aura of authority and knowledge. An aura that says "Sorian is always right and sees everything".

And here is more of that. Sorian makes a big show of how he "dropped bait purposefully". This feels less like trying to get anything useful out of Kitsune and more like Sorian engaging in needless theatrics.
I think that passing off everything Sorian does as "that's just his playstyle" ends up just giving him a blank check to make it to the endgame though. There has to be some method to discern scum!Sorian from town!Sorian. Considering how strong of a player he is, I am not comfortable with just giving him a pass, in the event that he is scum.

What would you find alignment indicative of Sorian? What actions do you think he would take that make you lean town or scum on him?

These feel a little weak to me. The first post apparently takes issue with Sorian's tone. As far as I'm concerned this isn't a very important observation. It's an easy thing to get on somebody's case for, but it doesn't really say anything. The second post is a lot of words that say a whole lot of nothing, and still end up passing the buck onto somebody else to do the scum hunting for him.

As a pair, Chuggernaut and SkyOdin do not impress. They're hesitant to take real positions and seem all to comfortable to stay in the background- while still posting to keep up appearances.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Hm? What about just the past two pages,

??

And where will your vote land today?

Not sure yet. I feel like the Monkey / Stu push is kind of lazy. I'm considering a Kits vote because she's kind of all over the place since my last townish read of her. Honestly I'll have to see where it goes at EOD, but I'm open to Kits, Fanto, Coolest at the moment.

Not sure what to think of Coolest; something about him is giving me pause but I can't put my finger on it atm. Kind of iffy on Fanto too, from what I've seen he's asking a lot of questions and poking which I feel good about but I don't feel like there's anything of substance with his play overall (pot, meet kettle).
Yarr Bae reminds of what-was-that-game where she fake claimed cop as a meanie.

Ah, MafiERA. What a wonderful time.

I mean, at some point I'm going to want to hear what you're thinking though. Is there anyone right now that sticks out to you?

See above

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Tbh I wanna hear more from Z-Beat.

giphy.gif

Where you at???

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
??

Not sure yet. I feel like the Monkey / Stu push is kind of lazy. I'm considering a Kits vote because she's kind of all over the place since my last townish read of her. Honestly I'll have to see where it goes at EOD, but I'm open to Kits, Fanto, Coolest at the moment.

Not sure what to think of Coolest; something about him is giving me pause but I can't put my finger on it atm. Kind of iffy on Fanto too, from what I've seen he's asking a lot of questions and poking which I feel good about but I don't feel like there's anything of substance with his play overall (pot, meet kettle).

See above
I meant what were your general impressions beyond noise of the past two pages. You kind of answered it above, so that's cool.

Kyanrute

Oct 25, 2017
Tomato
Me.

In all seriousness if I was actually sold on the arguments for Stuart and Monkey being scum I would at least consider voting there, but it just feels like a typical day 1 scum read, and there's just not enough there to make me confident in that vote. Coupled that with me thinking this early day isn't that far off from what I expect from Stuart and I just really don't think it's a good plan.

I was in Brexit 2 with Stuart. Everyone and their mother was scum reading him early there. He then managed to hit the entire scum on like day 3, and that was probably why town won that game.

Town? I guess I'll soft you as town. Sure. My head narrative works on this, don't betray me pls.

Kyanrute

Oct 25, 2017
Tomato
Just going to throw Reki and Xbro in the town pile. Xbro has been pretty absent, but Reki still threw out a huge, huge post to just read one pair. That's a ton of work and if Reki had a bunch of scummates to plan with I don't think they would have felt the need to do so much analysis.

Classic Kyaaa complains about grand scum plans post.

I dunno, is the current scum meta all about plans and whatnot. The last time I was scum it was all about bussing and headless chickens.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I'll start by getting some more thoughts down about the people I had some townish thoughts on here so far:

Frando - I expanded a bit when Stu asked earlier, but just to reiterate, I've really liked Fran's scum hunting and level of engagement, and nothing from Fandorin changes my thoughts on that pair.
Verollo - Vere is also one of my top town leans as well, I like that he's pointing things out and can put words to some things I'm feeling about posts that I don't quite know how to say. I know agreeing with someone doesn't make them Town, but I wouldn't want Vere gone today. Apollo, I like the effort she put into that scum read on Chuggs just now, so nothing from her changes my thoughts on Vere.
Rexbro - Others have pointed to Reki's big post as town read material, but I actually liked the few Xbro posts that were out before that too, I felt like he was asking some good questions and making good points even without being super talkative. I just don't really sense any deception from either of them yet I guess.
BraWaveZ - Neither are posting as much as I would have expected, but I'm still seeing some quality posts from both of them so far.
TheSkyChugger - Chugg isn't quite posting as much as I expect, and SkyOdin isn't around very often, so I would classify this as a spot where I need to go back and reread. Initial thoughts were that Chugg seems normal enough so probably Town again, but I actually expect him to comment on things a bit more than he is, even if it is just D1 noise.
Pirate Malus - Not much from Malus. Pirate Bae seemed fine with giving some early reads at first and I figured she would keep up with that, but now is calling it all jibber jabber. I see she has given some reads now. She would kill me on D1? Really?

Then regarding Monkey and Stu:
I'm liking Monkey's posts more now, Stu's behavior isn't really something I would scum read him for, and I've scum read Stu for a lot of things on D1. I'm thinking more suspect thoughts about people voting for one of these two than I am about them at this point of the day.

---------------

So, the people I had in my "Everyone Else" pile were:
Katsune
Tybro
S-Dubs
Rincent
Funky Dude Geno
CoolestBeat
Natforce
FlatearthStans

Right now, I would sort them like this, but of course things may change as we get closer to EoD.

Not Today:
Tybro - More for AB than for Ty. I liked AB's read list that he put out, and in my experience he is a great Town player to have around even though he isn't the most talkative, wouldn't want him gone on D1.
S-Dubs - Sorian is a tough nut to crack for me. I want to get some more engagement from B-Dubs here since that might be a better way for me to get a read on that pair than trying to figure out what the fuck Sorian's up to.
Rincent - I love Rac, so I wouldn't want to just throw him out a window on D1 lol. Also with Vincent being sick, I expect we'll get a lot more from him once he's feeling better, he usually posts a bit more often than he is.
CoolestBeat - Coolest actually made one of the most coherent posts I've ever seen him make earlier, which shouldn't worry me but it did lol. Z-Beat, as I said earlier, is playing within normal parameters for what I expect from him on D1.

Perhaps Today:
Katsune - Kalor I can never really get a read on, Kits I can see some scumminess there, and a lot of people have talked about her. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed here, but there are others I would vote first.
Funky Dude Geno - Looking back, I actually got the sense that Geno seemed maybe a bit opportunistic when jumping on the Dr. Stuart vote. His read on B-Dubs also seemed a bit played up, I'm not sure if he really buys that read, which seems a bit scummy to me. Sparks is fucking wild.
Natforce - I have suspicions, mainly about Natiko as I've said before. Some of his play here is reminding me of how he was in MafiEra, but it's also one of the only reference points I have for him. I'd have to do a deep dive to really figure my thoughts out there.
Flatearthstans - I expect more from FEPs, and having actually seen a Scum Stan recently, he can pull off his normal routine pretty well, so I wouldn't say there has been anything that makes me think townish thoughts about either of them yet.

-------

So with that being said, I'll go here for now:
Vote: flatearthpandas

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
??

See above
What about Kits since your last read has made you re-evaluate? You find Fanto's play to lack substance in comparison to..? (Asking because there's an easy argument to make that far more players have lacked substance in comparison so I'm curiously why Fanto over the others). Have you ever played with Coolest before out of curiosity?

Classic Kyaaa complains about grand scum plans post.

I dunno, is the current scum meta all about plans and whatnot. The last time I was scum it was all about bussing and headless chickens.
But from a newbie in their first forum mafia game? I dunno. Not sure I think that's likely.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
What about Kits since your last read has made you re-evaluate? You find Fanto's play to lack substance in comparison to..? (Asking because there's an easy argument to make that far more players have lacked substance in comparison so I'm curiously why Fanto over the others). Have you ever played with Coolest before out of curiosity?

But from a newbie in their first forum mafia game? I dunno. Not sure I think that's likely.
In comparison to past games. He's usually more thorough, less proddy. Never played with coolest before. Everyone else is playing how I expect them to.

Kyanrute

Oct 25, 2017
Tomato
Why is Yarr Bae so similar to her past appearances as a meanie. So similar. Surely she hasn't gone through everyone on the player list and cross-referenced them with her past experiences with the players in question and when she met a player she did hadn't played with before she went through the player's past games and gathered information about them. Surely she did not do that, but why does she then say she did so?

The bells, they ring loud.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Pirate Malus - Not much from Malus. Pirate Bae seemed fine with giving some early reads at first and I figured she would keep up with that, but now is calling it all jibber jabber. I see she has given some reads now. She would kill me on D1? Really?

Does that bother you? Hm.

giphy.gif

What type am I?

Does his most recent post change your perception at all?

Eh, his reads themselves make sense but it all seems very reactionary. Not sure if I'd vote there anymore but I'll be watching. Zipped hasn't been around much so I'd like to hear from him.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Why is Yarr Bae so similar to her past appearances as a meanie. So similar. Surely she hasn't gone through everyone on the player list and cross-referenced them with her past experiences with the players in question and when she met a player she did hadn't played with before she went through the player's past games and gathered information about them. Surely she did not do that, but why does she then say she did so?

The bells, they ring loud.

And where did I say I did that?

I've played with Fanto and Kits before. Haven't played with coolest.