• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Being someone who has owned every PlayStation console from way, way back, I've had decades to bask in the history of Sony's software offerings, from Gran Turismo, to Sly Cooper, to God of War and so on. And wouldn't you know, they just so happened to bundle each and every PS5 with a game meant to serve as a celebration of that legacy. And while on an objective level, the game is pretty good (I admit I had my fun with it, managed to platinum it in less than a day), playing through it left me feeling cold at times, as seeing all those references, created with a loving craft by the developers either growing up with, or being around for their development being relegated to only being as such when you figure out there's no easy and immediate way to get many of these games, anymore.

I'm not one to say that the game is itself half-hearted, but it's part of a larger problem for Sony, where, at least on the corporate side, they have trouble understanding that people either want to replay the games they grew up on, or for those just jumping into the ecosystem, want to see what they were like. Microsoft seems to do a good enough job with its back compat programme, as well as Game Pass allowing for its games to be played on local hardware (though given that BC is kind of MS's MO, that's not unexpected), as opposed to PS Now's PS3 based servers that can only last as long as they are functional, which, given that they no longer seem to produce the components required to keep the consoles running, probably won't be around for much longer. And with the rumours of them shutting down the stores for PS3 and Vita later this year, even the bare minimum of accessing old content is not enough for them. The less said about the PS Classic also, the better.

So yeah, Astro's Playroom. Pretty good platformer, but a hollow reminder of Sony's increasing dismissal of its past as something you can touch.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love Astro's Playroom (and it's quite a lot), it becomes rather cynical nostalgia bait very quickly when you look at how little Sony cares about actually helping people to play the old games they (or a small group in Sony) are celebrating so much.

It reminds me of when Sony released the 20th Anniversary PS4 limited edition that people fought tooth and nail for, with stories all over about how awesome it hearkened back to the PS1 with the startup sound and everything. Yet I didn't see a single story about anyone asking Sony if it could actually play PS1 games.

And since people still get confused, yes, the PS4 has a CD laser in it.

The PS5 safety manual suggests that the PS5 does not have one. Sony is now quite serious about burning the BC bridge.

(yes, it should be possible to read CDs with a DVD laser but I'm not sure how well it'll work with the PS1 black layer)

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
And since people still get confused, yes, the PS4 has a CD laser in it.

The PS5 safety manual suggests that the PS5 does not have one. Sony is now quite serious about burning the BC bridge.

(yes, it should be possible to read CDs with a DVD laser but I'm not sure how well it'll work with the PS1 black layer)
I'm honestly a lot more bothered by the fact that the PS4 had it as such, yet Sony never had it enabled for some reason. Like why? People still have CD's they like to rip and play.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While we invite LTTP threads, the framing of this one seems very reactionary to the rumors of Sony shutting down the PSN on some of their older consoles. As such, the thread is locked. You're welcome to make a new thread that discusses the game, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.