• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
edit: Switchification is a stupid word; agreed. I just didn't know a better term to use within the short space of headline to describe something that many franchises have done with Switch iterations, which is to say they are showing ambition and level of innovation surpassing previous games in their series when coming to Switch.

New Mario & Sonic at the Olympics trailer was revealed yesterday on Nintendo E3 Direct.

And even though the series has been declining in popularity and it definitely is not something that is revered in forums like this, there was something of a promise in the trailer. It showed the same signs as so many other long running IP's coming to Switch. It showed ambition. It showed polish. It showed variety and originality within the constraints of the franchise. In other words it showed the exact same properties as so many other games that have now become best selling titles in their series.

The licensed Olympic Video Game looks good, but there are WAY too few events. Mario and Sonic already seems to be beating it with the sheer excitement of the events. Choosing sport climbing and skateboarding is a great way to honor the actual 2020 games and the new Olympic tradition and those events honestly look REALLY fun.

The little glimpse of some sort of Retro mode with the 1964 Tokyo olympics logo is just beautiful.

On the other hand there are still fencing, javelin throw etc. the classics. Presentation is looking phenomenal as one can expect from the mascots of two companies. We still don't know if the promises can be fulfilled, if there are Dream Events in abundance and over the top rules, if there is enough to unlock or a good story mode, great bosses etc.

But the promise has now been made. The promise of going for the distance. Reaching for the olympic virtues; citius, altius, fortius.

(Gotta go check if the OT is reserved).

Last edited:

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
OP is right. The game really does seem to be more than just a licensed mandatory release. It has juice. And gameplay looks fun!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people are confused. Established series that we've seen a lot of over the years have been coming to switch and being more ambitious and generally better than before. Therefore, they've been switchified. Quality and ambition have gone up.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Is it switchified because it's good or because it's on the switch

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
z7uDFw7.png

Screenshot for the thread.

Oct 26, 2017
I worry about the lack of news regarding dream events. It just seems to be following in Beijing and Rio's footsteps in the wrong ways. The winter games were more crazy, with Vancouver on Wii being the definitive entry to date.

OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Edited the explanation for the silly switchification word on the top of the post.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I don't get why people are confused. Established series that we've seen a lot of over the years have been coming to switch and being more ambitious and generally better than before. Therefore, they've been switchified. Quality and ambition have gone up.
This would be more understandable if it weren't for Super Mario Party.

OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Question OP: has the series actually been declining in popularity? Haven't there only been two games in the series?
It's the sixth game in the series at the moment. Sales have been going down, but you can't really compare Wii with Wii U.

You couldve just wrote that the game looks promising as the title.
That is true. But I didn't because I was excited about the game showing the same thing as many others instead of just promise.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Totally agree - it looks like a local multi blast and totally rad, separate from the old expectations.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
It does look pretty dope in that old school California Games kind of way.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Really dumb choice of word, but I uh, think I agree?

The Mario & Sonic at the Olympics games are almost all pretty good mini game collections. They usually have nice graphics and the music is excellent. I wouldn't call of any of them essential, and I don't usually put in more than a few hours, but I've enjoyed every one that I've played.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Helps that Iizuka directed Vancouver Wii. Terrible producer, outstanding director. Remember he directed every Sonic Team USA game, as well as Sonic Adventure 1 just prior.

Iizuka is a damn good director. His only blemish is directing and writing Shadow the Hedgehog. Also, reminder of how he designed the last few stages of heroes on his own:

nintendoeverything.com

Takashi Iizuka on the physical toll of making Sonic Heroes

The development of Sonic Heroes took its toll on director Takashi Iizuka, who is also the head of Sonic Team. Iizuka spoke to Game Informer this month about how difficult it was to create, even labeling it as the most stressful project of his career. Iizuka was located in the United States as...

We got these shots from E3. Dream events and the roster are confirmed:

I'm guessing we'll also have guest characters depending on the event. Now, the only way this gets better is if we get a story mode like in Vancouver DS.... now that was fun one.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Got to play this yesterday.

Y'all, it's legit.

SEGA Sports nailed the arcade feel. Don't want motion controls? Just play it like any other Mario sports game. Had a fucking blast with it. I'll be playing it again today.

Oct 26, 2017
Iizuka is a damn good director. His only blemish is directing and writing Shadow the Hedgehog. Also, reminder of how he designed the last few stages of heroes on his own:

nintendoeverything.com

Takashi Iizuka on the physical toll of making Sonic Heroes

The development of Sonic Heroes took its toll on director Takashi Iizuka, who is also the head of Sonic Team. Iizuka spoke to Game Informer this month about how difficult it was to create, even labeling it as the most stressful project of his career. Iizuka was located in the United States as...

We got these shots from E3. Dream events and the roster are confirmed:

I'm guessing we'll also have guest characters depending on the event. Now, the only way this gets better is if we get a story mode like in Vancouver DS.... now that was fun one.

YES!!! Can't wait to see what these end up being like! bring on the fan service! :D

And Shadow the Hedgehog HAD potential. I was totally down for an edgelord Sonic game as a 15 year old. Problem was that Sammy surely fucked things up with all of the mergers and re-arranging of studios and employees, plus the rumor I remember being passed around that Microsoft forced Sega to release it for holiday 2005. Plus the 4kids cast being forced in really hurt the good will they had at the time as well.

If they did the game right, it could have been awesome!

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I really hope so. This is a series I've always wanted to like, just like I like Mario Tennis, Golf, Strikers and that 3on3 basketball game, but just couldn't because of how barebones it all has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.