• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.yahoo.com

Marvel Comics releases the first look at the Punisher's revamped skull symbol

The controversial comic book character gets a new look that's already dividing fans.
The Punisher has always been one of the more extreme characters in the Marvel Comics pantheon. Now, the gun-toting vigilante is getting an extreme … makeover. In the upcoming 13-issue prestige series, Punisher — set to hit comic-book store shelves in March — Frank Castle trades in the skull symbol that has been part of the character's costume since his 1974 debut in the pages of The Amazing Spider-Man and has also adorned his appearances in other media, including the two-season Netflix series that starred Jon Bernthal.

The first images from Punisher, which is written by Jason Aaron with art by Jesús Saiz and Paul Azaceta, reveal the redesigned skull, which now sports horns and sharpened teeth to reflect his new role as a member of the Hand, a shadowy league of assassins. "This story is the destined next step in the dark and tragic evolution of Frank Castle, from troubled kid to heroic soldier to revenge-driven vigilante … to the duly anointed King of Killers," Aaron remarks in a press release obtained by Yahoo Entertainment. "Believe me when I say, I am as excited about this story as anything I've ever written for Marvel."
In recent years, the Punisher's original symbol has been appropriated by police officers and soldiers, much to the chagrin of the character's co-creator, Gerry Conway. "The vigilante anti-hero is fundamentally a critique of the justice system, an example of social failure, so when cops put Punisher skulls on their cars or members of the military wear Punisher skull patches, they're basically siding with an enemy of the system," he told Syfy Wire in 2019. "He is a criminal. Police should not be embracing a criminal as their symbol."

Following the death of George Floyd in police custody last summer, Conway launched the online Skulls For Justice fundraiser to benefit Black Lives Matter and "reclaim" the skull symbol. "For too long, symbols associated with a character I co-created have been co-opted by forces of oppression and to intimidate black Americans," Conway wrote on the campaign page. "This character and symbol was never intended as a symbol of oppression. This is a symbol of a systematic failure of equal justice. It's time to claim this symbol for the cause of equal justice and Black Lives Matter."

Until now, the closest that Marvel has come to directly acknowledging the controversy appeared in the pages of a 2019 issue of the most recent Punisher comic. Written by Matthew Rosenberg, the issue features a pointed scene in which Castle encounters a group of New York City cops who boast about having a decal of his symbol on their car. "We believe in you," one of them remarks. But the Punisher immediately rejects their hero worship, ripping their prized decal to shreds. "I'll say this once. We're not the same," he remarks.
8b12d230-61c9-11ec-ade3-5e7db864397c

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm vaguely familiar with the character and know the symbol.

That new one absolutely sucks but doesn't mean they won't use the previous one in other media.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not going to stick long. Don't forget, Frank Castle has been an avenging angel, a cosmic ghost rider, a black man, dead, and Frankenstein. Nothing sticks forever.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Making it uglier doesn't solve the problem.

If they really want to fix the issue, just write "Fuck Trump" across the skull.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
looks dumb but it sounds like its just part of a storyline so the old symbol will probably be back eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it was photoshopped onto that image at the last moment rather than drawn by the artist.
That's quite possible, maybe went through several revisions before they decided on a final look. It's not placed correctly in perspective.

It is a prequel to The punisher story. So technically the original skull still exist
Where do you see that? It's not being talked about as a prequel at all.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"the Hand, a shadowy league of assassins"

Huh? And the Shredder is their leader?

You have it backwards there. The Foot was a riff on The Hand. Just like everything TMNT was back then. They were meant to be a parody of the recent grim and gritty comics of the time.

The original turtles were very much a parody of Daredevil. The Hand/The Foot is the most obvious example but I'm pretty sure the origin had the ooze as the runoff of the waste that gave Matt Murdoch his powers.

Yep, there's a panel somewhere showing a boy pushing a man out of the way of a truck before the ooze goes into the sewer.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm cool with it. And honestly it was time for a shakeup, this turn has potential

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
No no no WHY DO WE KEEP GIVING JASON AARON SHIT

"Gee whiz he sure did a bang-up job tackling the latent misogyny in She-Hulk, right? Let's give him a chance to reclaim the guy co-opted by white supremacists next! He'll do great!"

gaaaaaaaaaah here's hoping it doesn't suck too much

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a demon skull. Eh, I don't really care for this change. It sucks how many far-right law enforcement types co-oped the Punisher symbol.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Jason Aaron writes some good Frank Castle, so I'll give it a shot....Shame about his Avengers though.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Hey remember when Frank joined Hydra and everyone hated it?

We then spent more than a year trying to make it seem like Frank made a mistake and trying to fix his big oopsie of joining facists?

Yea well now he's joining the Hand.

WUT

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Don't think it'll stick long but it looks alright, doesn't beat the iconic Punisher symbol. Did not know he is an ambassador for The Hand. Still wish he had the War Machine armor lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.