• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Uh-huh....

(Note that she is not the head writer)

In the event of her trying to be funny and clever (because who doesn't hate both the Coronavirus and Rise of Skywalker right?), it seems to have backfired for a lot of people in the replies.

And just a reminder on how the two aren't the same:

This just wasn't the best time to make a joke.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is I don't think they're wrong in the fact we'll probably all collectively try and pretend it never happened.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
COVID-19 is going to be like Rise of Skywalker. It's a nightmare. It's going to be a struggle. But then we're going to get to come out the other side and pretend it never happened.
Goddamn.

Well, was looking forward to She-Hulk more than any of the other projects. Rooting for them after this is all over.

Nov 13, 2017
Was it a crass joke? Yes. Do people cope with grief, stress, and anxiety with humor? Yes.

Manabyte is having a full blown meltdown over this joke. He tweeted that "Thanos was right" about the need for the half our population to be wiped out to get rid of people like the woman who made the joke, and he's rallying his supporters to harass her. Meanwhile, he's also getting dragged and being a diva about it.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people who've lost people they love, their jobs, home etc will pretend Covid 'never happened'

Yes, it's supposed to be a dark joke, but it's not even funny.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I'm calling Feige right now to FIRE HER

Maybe some of the negative responses to her joke has to do with her gender

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this tweet earlier and shruged it. You can make say it´s a bad timming for joke, but all month people being using humor to get used to the situation, this is a whole bunch of non story here, and it seems like more gaters trying to attack Dana again (She made some comments about South Park and people got mad)

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a light hearted yet naive joke. But I don't know the full context of who this person is.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Um...people deal with these things in all kinds of ways. Humor is as valid a way of dealing with this situation as anything else. I see nothing wrong in this tweet. Put down your pitchfork and act like a human being. Have some empathy.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen ROS yet. Liked Force Awakens, was mixed on TLJ (probably not going to hold up well on repeat viewings)

Hoping JJ didn't take all the criticism about using nostalgia as a crutch and go even harder on it.

I'm guessing he probably did. :(

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Eh, I mean... I get what she's getting at but people have died and more will die so it does come off as pretty dismissive. I'm sure the backlash won't be overblown since it involves Star Wars and a comic book writer who's a woman, of course.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people deal with COVID through humor or memes. This one wasn't terribly funny (to me), but it also wasn't any more offensive than any of the other humor about the situation I see on a daily basis. Seems like a weird place to draw the line tbh.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I desperately wish that people understood that metaphors....that the entire point of metaphors....is to describe how a thing is like another thing in one or a few aspects without being that thing in every other respect.

Saying that we as a society might deal with Covid-19 in a similar manner as we dealt with TRoS isn't saying that TRoS was as bad or damaging as the virus, nor is it the implication.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
"Disgusting" reaction? Nah. The jokey part at the end is really a jab at how bad our society is at self-reflecting, not really making light of the tragedy itself. I think it's a pretty acceptable stance.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly a joke. Not a very good one but still. I do get the feeling that the Mouse isn't going to be too happy with her though haha

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
If you search "She hulk" on youtube in the last 24 hours you will find about 5 videos made by the alt right insulting her, probably in the next 24 hours there will be 20 more videos

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need a thread for every bad twitter take and the tweets that dunk on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.