• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And here's the other shoe to drop from the "no more Facebook requirement" news from earlier.
Earlier today, Facebook announced it was rebranding itself as Meta. When CEO Mark Zuckerberg first shared the news during the company's Connect event, it wasn't clear how broadly it planned to adopt the name across its product portfolio. But now we have a much better idea thanks to a Facebook post from incoming CTO Andrew "Boz" Bosworth. For one, Meta is retiring the Oculus brand.

Beginning in early 2022, the Oculus Quest will instead be known as the Meta Quest. Similarly, the Oculus App will be called Meta Quest App moving forward. According to Bosworth, the intention is "to make clear" to consumers Quest is a Meta product. "We all have a strong attachment to the Oculus brand, and this was a very difficult decision to make," Bosworth said. "While we're retiring the name, I can assure you that the original Oculus vision remains deeply embedded in how Meta will continue to drive mass adoption for VR today. "

I question the wisdom of this move, given that headlines about Facebook will pivot to mentioning Meta, and I'm not sure I'd be particularly keen in buying devices from a brand that's referred to as "enabling genocides".

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I don't understand that move…. You change your name to Meta so people don't only associate you only with Facebook. And directly after that annoucement you change the name of your successful VR headset divison to Meta?

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I read the title as "Meat Quest"...
Sorry, I'll see myself out

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's a bit weird, but this is a long-term vision. Oculus isn't a household name yet, so I think most people that use a Meta product in 10-15 years will have never known Oculus.

Meta Quest sounds kind of strange, but Quest is clearly not going to be their main product line in the long-term. They'll probably have several main ones - something like Meta Port, Meta Dive.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Weird move. I guess Meta Quest is easier for people to spell and pronounce. But the Oculus name has been around for awhile and it has built up quite a lot of name recognition. It's really bold to throw that away.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, did they drop the Facebook account requirement to use Oculus as a part of this news, or did I misread?

Status
Not open for further replies.