• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
www.videogameschronicle.com

Microsoft’s president says ‘we want to bring Call of Duty to Switch’ | VGC

Brad Smith says Xbox’s acquisition of Activision will mean bringing existing franchises to Nintendo’s console…

"One of the things we're being very clear about as we move forward with the regulatory review of this acquisition is that great titles like Call of Duty from Activision Blizzard today, will continue to be available on the Sony PlayStation," Smith said.

He then added: "We'd like to bring it (Call of Duty) to Nintendo devices. We'd like to bring the other popular titles that Activision Blizzard has, and ensure that they continue to be available on PlayStation, [and] that they become available on Nintendo.

"The first acquisition made after Satya Nadellabecame CEO was of Minecraft. That was back in September 2014. And what we've done with that acquisition, I think is a clear indicator of what we hope to do if we acquire Activision Blizzard.
Interesting, especially for Switch and next Nintendo platform. Maybe they have been told that they either keep games multiplatform or the deal won't go through.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
There's definitely a genre vacuum on Switch for some of Activision's games. It was always a little bizarre that they did really impressive downports for the Wii - but they never really bothered for Switch.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Black Ops 2 for a freakishly long time on the Wii U despite never bothering with much of the rest of their output so I'm looking forward to this.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
www.resetera.com

Microsoft: Call of Duty and other popular ActiBlizz games will continue to be available on PlayStation & Nintendo platforms beyond current agreements Microsoft

From --R https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2022/02/09/open-app-store-principles-activision-blizzard/ The openness principles are posted here. With this interesting tidbit: "The principles respond to concerns raised by app developers and lawmakers, who say app stores run by Apple...

Already got a thread on this exact quote.

Disagree. That thread has turned into a MS + Game Pass vs Sony + Spartacus discussion.

OP's post is actually about bringing Call of Duty to Nintendo which, I believe, deserves its own discussion.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
funny how after Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard is when the games will actually come out again on a Nintendo platform.

the exact opposite of what a platform holder buying a publisher would have caused.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
All that doom and gloom over nothing

It's likely that Activision will become a much better publisher under Microsoft ownership (if it all goes through)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing MLB The Show on the Switch yesterday, and if that was a local game and not streaming, it can happen.

funny how after Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard is when the games will actually come out again on a Nintendo platform.

the exact opposite of what a platform holder buying a publisher would have caused.
Well, based on the last 2 recent acquisitions, it was made explicitly known early that Bungie would stay multiplatform. As in they wanted that message out there clear and ASAP.

Times are changing.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
The fact they're comparing AB acquisition to the Mojang/Minecraft situation it's quite telling on what their future strategy will be. Good news for everyone

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
After seeing MLB The Show on the Switch yesterday, and if that was a local game and not streaming, it can happen.

Well, based on the last 2 recent acquisitions, it was made explicitly known early that Bungie would stay multiplatform. As in they wanted that message out there clear and ASAP.

Times are changing.

true. i saw most of those.

i was more focused in the fact that Activision pretty much pretended the Switch didn't exist at all with some of their biggest games like CoD and how they gotta make games for it.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
This kind of nonsense is why Microsoft will always be in third place. Honestly baffled at their reasoning for this. Why even buy ABK then? Unless this is all some sort of ruse to make sure no one tries to block the acquisition. Oh who even knows anymore.

Here's the deal. Nintendo, quite obviously, will continue to do their own thing and keep that unrelenting tight grip on their software because it's served them well for decades. It's a proven formula that works, just look at those Switch sales. Sony is a company that likes to play dirty and again, it's suited them well. You saw it with Sega where they essentially used nonsense marketing about the "Emotion" chip to somehow convince both gamers and game developers that the Dreamcast was not worth bothering with despite it being a wonderful console. Their current strategy is to spend an unreasonable amount of time, money and effort to make competing consoles worse by keeping third party games off of them which is weird considering they have a talented group of first party developers making games that critics and customers alike just can't get enough of. They could quite easily compete purely on the strength of their brand and the quality of their first party output alone.

This wishy washy "look how friendly we are you guys" approach that Microsoft/Xbox is really into these days? To put it bluntly, it isn't working. I wish they would become way more aggressive and actually try to compete for the simple reason that strong competition only benefits consumers. Because MS is barely putting up a fight Sony are content to sit back and just send dump trucks of money to the likes of Square Enix for exclusivity as a way of "competing" and making well received but in my opinion formulaic games. I'm bored of cinematic third person adventures games the same way I got sick of FPS games back when Doom & Quake's popularity made almost everyone churn out FPS games. I really tried to like God of War but I just hated it. If i never play another third person game where the protagonist is a dad/father figure i will die a happy man.

I'm gonna go back to Sega and the Dreamcast. What did Sega do when they were threatened and working tooth and nail to fight back? They made some of the most spectacular, unique and iconic games they ever made, all of them on the Dreamcast. In the end a lack of cash meant it didn't work out for them. Now imagine if Sony felt anywhere near as threatened, they would pull out all the stops to not only make daring, attention grabbing and wonderful games but also improve their platform to make it so desirable that it would be the obvious first choice for gamers. Imagine the Sony version of something like Space Channel 5 or Jet Set Radio with the production values they are famous for? I can't even imagine how exciting that would be to me. This (I would hope) would then spur Microsoft on to try new things to compete. Game Pass is in my humble opinion one of the best things to come out of gaming since online/broadband became ubiquitous and it only happened because Microsoft fucked up so badly that they needed something spectacular to get some of their customers back.

I want Microsoft to really compete. I thought they were when they bought ABK cause something as massive as Call of Duty being exclusive is gonna sell Xbox consoles. They own one of the biggest games in the world, why the fuck are they not making Minecraft 2 and keeping that to themselves instead of making Minecraft Dungeons that gets released on everything? It just seems like a no brainer to make people wanna invest in Xbox/PC/Cloud. I want them to do something that really makes Sony sit up and take notice. So far I've yet to see anything that would significantly move the needle.

TL:DR: Microsoft need to pull their head out of their arses.

Cmc

Nov 1, 2017
This kind of nonsense is why Microsoft will always be in third place. Honestly baffled at their reasoning for this. Why even buy ABK then? Unless this is all some sort of ruse to make sure no one tries to block the acquisition. Oh who even knows anymore.

Here's the deal. Nintendo, quite obviously, will continue to do their own thing and keep that unrelenting tight grip on their software because it's served them well for decades. It's a proven formula that works, just look at those Switch sales. Sony is a company that likes to play dirty and again, it's suited them well. You saw it with Sega where they essentially used nonsense marketing about the "Emotion" chip to somehow convince both gamers and game developers that the Dreamcast was not worth bothering with despite it being a wonderful console. Their current strategy is to spend an unreasonable amount of time, money and effort to make competing consoles worse by keeping third party games off of them which is weird considering they have a talented group of first party developers making games that critics and customers alike just can't get enough of. They could quite easily compete purely on the strength of their brand and the quality of their first party output alone.

This wishy washy "look how friendly we are you guys" approach that Microsoft/Xbox is really into these days? To put it bluntly, it isn't working. I wish they would become way more aggressive and actually try to compete for the simple reason that strong competition only benefits consumers. Because MS is barely putting up a fight Sony are content to sit back and just send dump trucks of money to the likes of Square Enix for exclusivity as a way of "competing" and making well received but in my opinion formulaic games. I'm bored of cinematic third person adventures games the same way I got sick of FPS games back when Doom & Quake's popularity made almost everyone churn out FPS games. I really tried to like God of War but I just hated it. If i never play another third person game where the protagonist is a dad/father figure i will die a happy man.

I'm gonna go back to Sega and the Dreamcast. What did Sega do when they were threatened and working tooth and nail to fight back? They made some of the most spectacular, unique and iconic games they ever made, all of them on the Dreamcast. In the end a lack of cash meant it didn't work out for them. Now imagine if Sony felt anywhere near as threatened, they would pull out all the stops to not only make daring, attention grabbing and wonderful games but also improve their platform to make it so desirable that it would be the obvious first choice for gamers. Imagine the Sony version of something like Space Channel 5 or Jet Set Radio with the production values they are famous for? I can't even imagine how exciting that would be to me. This (I would hope) would then spur Microsoft on to try new things to compete. Game Pass is in my humble opinion one of the best things to come out of gaming since online/broadband became ubiquitous and it only happened because Microsoft fucked up so badly that they needed something spectacular to get some of their customers back.

I want Microsoft to really compete. I thought they were when they bought ABK cause something as massive as Call of Duty being exclusive is gonna sell Xbox consoles. They own one of the biggest games in the world, why the fuck are they not making Minecraft 2 and keeping that to themselves instead of making Minecraft Dungeons that gets released on everything? It just seems like a no brainer to make people wanna invest in Xbox/PC/Cloud. I want them to do something that really makes Sony sit up and take notice. So far I've yet to see anything that would significantly move the needle.

But, what difference does it make to your, life?

Jan 4, 2018
They could release the remasters of Modern Warfare (and I'm sure they will remaster Modern Warfare 3 at some point too, it's going to be huge). The Switch can handle these I think.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020

You really need to let go this console war mentality, being angry because a multiplatform IP is just...staying like that is kinda silly

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

wow, take a step back, breathe and read what you have written.

this is literal console war nonsense.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
thats a copypasta from another thread folks. no idea why that user felt like bringing it here too, but dont waste time arguing

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
All that doom and gloom over nothing

It's likely that Activision will become a much better publisher under Microsoft ownership (if it all goes through)

Yup. Much like Minecraft, Microsoft will pump a bunch of money into Activision, will expand upon it and give developers freedom and space. This is the best case scenario, and really the best case scenario.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Lmao I read "AB titles" like it was some kind of budget level or something, like AAA and AA. Now i feel stupid...

So CoD will be probably similar to the Minecraft situation, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.