• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Apparently, Microsoft is busy working on a "portable machine", which has led to speculation that the Redmond-based company is preparing to unleash an Xbox handheld onto the market. Rumors about such a machine have floated around for years, and Microsoft has even spent R&D time on a handheld console. According to Robbie Bach, a former President of Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division, numerous attempts were made to bring an Xbox portable to market, with the device constantly being named the "Xboy".

Toward the end of last year, interesting but fake promo material for an Xbox Series V handheld console started appearing online, with the device looking not entirely dissimilar to a large single-screened Nintendo DS Lite. A few months later incredible fan-made concept videos of an Xbox Series Z portable, created by designer imkashama, showed what a handheld Xbox could look like – stunning.
Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xbox-...ght-of-the-Nintendo-Switch-Lite.526861.0.html

Take this with a grain of salt since, well, we already have portable Microsoft devices. They're called ultraportable laptops.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lmao close this shit this is based on that awful leaker from last week that leaked "the Sony PC ports"

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Morgan-Freeman-Saying-Good-Luck-The-Dark-Knight.gif

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Would make sense as part of the surface line, and would probably do well enough to sustain itself but not set the world on fire.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think MS will push Xcloud instead. Maybe release an Xcloud controller attachment thing for phones at most.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I doubt this is actually a thing. Probably just one of MANY prototypes Microsoft has in the works that will amount to nothing down the line.

It would be hilarious to see them try to challenge the Switch directly, though.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
A gamepass machine with streaming capabilities would be nice, but it's not competing with the Swtich lol

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This makes no sense to me, they're pushing XCloud, they don't need a portable device.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from a budget device based on playing games through streaming, it's hard to imagine there being any weight to this.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

It's based on this, not worth it.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Slap a phone screen in between some of the peripherals already out there with some innards that are tuned just right for a streaming device. Dashboard same as the rest of the Xbox ecosystem.

Makes sense.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
This shit would be dead on arrival and wouldn't make sense with xCloud. This isn't happening.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Makes zero sense. With XCloud already working on Android and soon iOS, why waste money on a dedicated unit.

Maybe this is the TV stick which I feel is inevitable.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
If they put out a portable that can play all the WRPG exclusives they've been accumulating, I'd probably buy it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It'd almost certainly be streaming-focused, which immediately makes me skeptical of the overall usefulness of the device. Either it's permanently tethered to my WiFi, or I'm waiting for 5G to actually be a practical reality in the States.

Would definitely be a strong international play, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, guess the Nintendo/Microsoft romance is dead.

Steve and Banjo will now be deleted from your copies of Smash Ultimate.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes no sense. It's all about services now for them. No reason to make even more xbox hardware.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I could see another android phone but Xbox gaming would primarily be streaming. Tbh don't really see the point. When you have the internet, xCloud is fantastic.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
The funniest thing about this is Xbox obviously have a great hardware team so it'd probably be a cool piece of tech before it died on the vine in about a week.

In the reality where hamburgers eat people where this would actually happen.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is this website really reputable?
Notebookcheck is reputable in my experience (they're better than wccftech, that's for sure), but I would take this with a major grain of salt; Microsoft hasn't shown much interest in making a handheld device at any point in its history, and I doubt they're going to change that strategy anytime soon, especially since they'd either have to downclock the SoC used in the Series...series, or use a more power efficient SoC since this handheld would have to be powered via a battery and thus would have to have games developed specifically for its hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.