• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
With Sora's announcement today, what has become one of the biggest criticisms of Smash Bros' roster has been proven true yet again. While I'm happy with Sora as a character, Smash's DLC offerings have not been far outside the status quo for the series. Apart from a huge lack of diversity in skintones, the fact that a majority of fighters follow a single archetype is a shame, especially when the series has such potential for different fighting styles. Characters like Steve really showcase a unique style of play, and yet Sora, like most of the DLC roster, feels extremely safe.

Yeah, rant over, it's just, why has the trope of the anime swordsman become so ubiquitous in video games? I get that the rise of Otaku culture and JRPGS have made many of these characters huge stars, but I feel like Smash has gone so hard with the safe picks it loses some of the things that made it special to begin with.

TornadoDDT

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2021
It was the most requested character for the Smash series. Pretty much end of story.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
People like their anime swordsmen. I'm sitting here complaining about Sora while being upset it wasn't Travis Touchdown so like... I'm no better.
There's just a lot of cool dudes with swords, I guess.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
JRPGs are popular and lend themselves well to generating cool characters

That's all there is to it

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They also all play differently from each other so who gives a fuck?
It has always been such a boring, lazy complaint.

Hero.of.Lgnd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is ridiculous, none of them are anime swordsman because they all started in games. Some of them have an anime "style", (not sure why that even matters), but Sora isn't one of them.

But I'm gonna guess that you are the kind of person to find something to complain about regardless of who the character was.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
It's more obnoxious that like 2/3rds of the Smash roster has a counter for Down B.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This was seriously never as big of a deal to me as y'all make it out to be. Sora looks to play uniquely, I really don't see the issue and don't care if character has a sword, the literal most common weapon in games alongside guns. Such a weird complaint

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Hero, Byleth, Sora (somewhat), Pyra/Mythra, and Sephiroth. Does that make more than 50% (I'm not sure, just asking) ?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Min Min could use Sephiroth's sword, she'd be able to reach all the way from one blast zone to the other

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the most requested character by the Smash community.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I'll ask again, so what? How many of these play identical? Just because they use similar weaponry, doesn't mean they're similar. A complaint I have never understood.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I think people would complain no matter who the final character was going to be.

I probably won't even play as Sora, but I'm super happy he's in. So many people I know are happy about this. This has been a dream for a lot of people.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
It's literally what the majority wanted.

ā€¦that and Waluigi. šŸ¤£

The guy gave his audience exactly what they were asking for, which happened to be the same thing they were complaining about. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Smash has like 60 characters who fight with their first, yet nobody complains about them.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
This is ridiculous, none of them are anime swordsman because they all started in games. Some of them have an anime "style", (not sure why that even matters), but Sora isn't one of them.

But I'm gonna guess that you are the kind of person to find something to complain about regardless of who the character was.

Not at all. I'm very excited for Sora, as I said in the post. I'm just saying that it really shows how popular the anime swordsman trope is in gaming.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts fans constantly brought up the keyblade transformations from KH3 as a counter to the whole "Sora is an anime swordsman". But (to no surprise to me) he doesn't actually have them in Smash.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Smash is pretty reflective of common gaming tropes, yeah.
Look at how many cartoon animals there are too.

Bunty Hoven

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't got a problem with most of them but by God the whole concept of Smash as a video game all-stars roster is brought down by all those Fire Emblem reps.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Ask developers to don't put anime sword fighters as protagonists of their most successful games, Smash is just representing those series.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Don't blame it on Sora, blame it on the addition of so many FE characters. That series should've had 3-4 reps at most.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not create reaction threads. This can be discussed in the existing threads. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.