• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

I don't hate this, but it's interesting to see two films so close to each other use the same 4:3 aspect ratio on HBO Max. Maybe they want to make it a trend?

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to HBO MAX will you be able to buy/rent digitally elsewhere? I would prefer to never watch another movie in that format at home.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully not exclusively 4:3. It kinda works for Snyder Cut but can't say I love the idea of this becoming a trend.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
these movies better come out on VHS or DVD in those very formats if we're going all the way with it

or LASER DISC.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm not really familiar with movie aspect ratios but it seems like insanity going back to 4:3 coming from a gaming perspective, but maybe that's illogical

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hipster ass aspect ratio

Apple laughing in iPad though

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
Most movies with IMAX presentations do 16x9 for home release for the IMAX sequences. Even Nolan, the biggest stickler of the bunch, does 16x9 for his IMAX stuff. Because that only makes sense. Some theatrical IMAX movies aren't actually even a full, proper IMAX aspect ratio but an "enhanced" ratio, going from 2.35:1 or similar to 16x9. See Skyfall as an example.

I would guess that is the case with this movie, not that it will be 4:3 like the Snyder cut.

Oct 28, 2017
ULLPh4K3SFywg78hRzeUXT-1200-80.jpg

The tv of choice for Warner moving forward.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most movies with IMAX presentations do 16x9 for home release for the IMAX sequences. Even Nolan, the biggest stickler of the bunch, does 16x9 for his IMAX stuff. Because that only makes sense.
I dunno. I really wish there was a way to watch the full IMAX presentations of Interstellar and Dunkirk at home.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
He said that they have it ready to be shown on IMAX but it seems he doesn't know if HBO Max will be shown in that format, so most likely not

But he specifically said "Yes" to a question which said "on HBO Max", so it's weird if he was thinking that.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I've got a newer Pro and it's still great, just a small sliver on the left and right watching 4:3 content. I watched ch. 3 of the Snyder cut on it yesterday.

Wow I honestly thought new iPads were still 4:3. I watch a lot of old stuff so I'm cool with it but yeah didn't realize they were a little less 4:3 than before.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure what there is to misunderstand about that question lol. If he made a mistake in the original answer, I'll ask the mods to lock this thread
There are multiple IMAX ratios these days. Most films use the "LieMax" 1.9:1 which is only a tiny bit taller than 16:9. Infinity War and Endgame both used that aspect ratio, though all the home releases are cropped down to 2.4:1 for some inexplicable reason.

Very few modern films shoot on the full IMAX 70mm. They probably shot MK on digital 1.9:1, if anything.

Wow I honestly thought new iPads were still 4:3. I watch a lot of old stuff so I'm cool with it but yeah didn't realize they were a little less 4:3 than before.
Yeah, they got a little taller when they removed the bezels. Still very close to 4:3 but a bit more screen real estate now.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I really wish there was a way to watch the full IMAX presentations of Interstellar and Dunkirk at home.
The thing is those releases are already made in multiple formats for different types of theaters and presentations. Nolan is intentionally framing safely for the different aspect ratios. So the full, proper IMAX film presentation that is only available in like 5 theaters in the world (with giant screens and IMAX film projectors) gets the full, boxy IMAX aspect ratio for IMAX scenes. The AMC IMAX-branded screens that aren't actually IMAX film theaters get an expanded 16x9 or 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and regular screens get a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

For home release, it makes the most sense to use the 16x9 versions, as the full IMAX format really only has a meaningful effect when you are seeing it on a giant, 6-story tall screen that fills your entire field of view. It doesn't have the same effect on a widescreen TV in your living room.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe 4:3 is making a comeback.

Who knew that aspect ratios would turn into fashion?!? As a kid that suffered though a lot of pan and scan abominations from the 80s/90s, it's just kind of baffling.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people okay with black bars above and below the picture, but not the the sides instead? I'm kinda just indifferent to it. But, didn't bug me at all in Justice League.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dig it. Would father have 4:3 then constant shifting from imax to lettbox. I highly doubt this is true though.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Dude seems mistaken. It would be cool to get this once in a while but only if the director intended for it, like in Zack's case.

I like the way Nolan does his Imax presentations on home video. Full screen, shit looks stunning in 4k.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
This doesn't make any sense. I don't believe for one second that MK was shot with that aspect ratio in mind. Why wouldn't the trailers use that ratio?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, whatever. I'll watch in whatever ratio it's available. But directors, please note: anything narrower than 16:9, a whole lot of your viewers are going to watch it stretched. I don't know why so many people who don't mind letterboxing are so annoyed by sidebars, but they are.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is those releases are already made in multiple formats for different types of theaters and presentations. Nolan is intentionally framing safely for the different aspect ratios. So the full, proper IMAX film presentation that is only available in like 5 theaters in the world (with giant screens and IMAX film projectors) gets the full, boxy IMAX aspect ratio for IMAX scenes. The AMC IMAX-branded screens that aren't actually IMAX film theaters get an expanded 16x9 or 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and regular screens get a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

For home release, it makes the most sense to use the 16x9 versions, as the full IMAX format really only has a meaningful effect when you are seeing it on a giant, 6-story tall screen that fills your entire field of view. It doesn't have the same effect on a widescreen TV in your living room.
I dunno, I sit about 7' away from a 77" OLED and the Snyder cut (as well as standard 16:9 stuff) feels pretty damn vertical. Granted it's not the same as the 70mm IMAX presentation but it's still pretty awesome.

And while it's true Nolan safely keeps everything important within the 16:9 frame, his IMAX cinematography is still breathtaking. Especially in Dunkirk. Though I do love the Interstellar sequences as well.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I love 4:3 if it's actually shot for that. The framing in The Snyder Cut looks incredible and First Cow also did a lot with the compositions that would only be possible in 4:3. I hope we get more 4:3 films in the future since it opens up a lot of visual opportunities. They do need to shoot the film with the aspect ratio in mind though. I don't care for it if they edit it to be 4:3 just for the sake of it being 4:3.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i really dont care what aspect ratio anything is in as long as its what the creator intended and im not missing out on anything (you know unless the first point)

quibis stupid half measure shit just made sure id never get near it

pan and scan is just insulting

but if people wanna make 4:3 films go for it. experiment. do whatever you want

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Max quickly hiring some pan and scan technicians.

I will third that 4:3 video on an iPad is ace. I thought it was better than widescreen

Oct 25, 2017
isn't that pretty much early 00s US dvd releases? i remember seeing full screen and widescreen versions of the same movie and sometimes even on the same disc as a flipper

Those movies were cropped/zoomed in to fill the screen. I remember having to show family and friends of side by side comparisons of how much more of the scene they could see if they switched to widescreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.