• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most overrated game of this gen?

• Red Dead Redemption II

Votes: 107 28.3%
  • The Witcher 3

Votes: 35 9.3%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 101 26.7%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto v

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 49 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Any of the FromSoftware titles which isn't an option.

GTAV is last gen and ported to this gen.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
From those, the witcher For ME.

It does almost everything really well, except flr combat and movement. And thats what you do in 80% of the game.

Mario odyssey its like the opposite, so e really boring moons, but controlling Mario is pure Joy

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily MGS5. It's a brilliant, unfinished game.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red dead by a long shot. What a horribly atrociously boring game. By far one of the worst experiences I've had this gen.

Game sure is a looker though.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
RDR2. It's a great game with the narrative, visuals, and scope but the bad controls were glossed over by many people.

Edit: It's not overrated by much but clearly the scores do not factor in the multitude of issues with the controls. It's high 80s easily.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
omg at Breath of the Wild being in the lead atm...I can't.

MGSV is the winner on that list though...but I don't really think any of them are that overrated.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
For me it's either Mario or MGSV, loved both of them, but both certainly didn't deserve their scores.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm torn between Witcher 3 and Red Dead.
Bought them both and feel like I've given them a fair shot but I thought Witcher 3 just felt bad to play and Red Dead damn near put me to sleep.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Almost every mainline Zelda or GTA are the most overrated games of their respective generations.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't Bloodborne an option? It's far and away the most overrated.

It's a fine game for some tastes, but good god some people take the love a bit overboard wanting everything to be inspired by it.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them are overrated. For me it's between Mario and Witcher 3, maybe RDR2 too.

Omg at BotW. I don't like the game that much, but I can easily see why it's highly regarded.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Bad idea for a thread, everyone has different opinions on different games, there's no real answer to your question. Just because someone really like a game and you don't doesn't mean it's "overrated'. They're rated just fine, to their opinion.

Every game you listed was reviewed with the right score.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't comment on Mario and Zelda since I haven't played those.

But I liked all of the games on that list except MGSV. I really tried to get into that game but I just couldn't. It is an incredibly boring game.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
BOTW. Did not care for it at all, it felt like a bad open world game more than an actual Zelda game.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad idea for a thread, everyone has different opinions on different games, there's no real answer to your question. Just because someone really like a game and you don't doesn't mean it's "overrated'. They're rated just fine, to their opinion.

Every game you listed was reviewed with the right score.
Unfortunately I've found on Resetera most people utterly lack the perspective necessary to understand that, and so, here we are.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
None of them. Although I don't agree with many of the ratings, I understand the points of critics and players who rated them that high. I see, for instance, what people like about Breath of Wild and MGS but both games did nothing to me gameplay-wise.

I don't think there's such thing as 'overrated'.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Didn't see Fortnite there, so I picked Red Dead. Then saw BOTW was in first, and I can't argue against that.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, it's tough for me

Zelda is an amazing game. But its "open world" Has got to be the most over rated aspect of the game.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Why isn't Bloodborne an option? It's far and away the most overrated.

It's a fine game for some tastes, but good god some people take the love a bit overboard wanting everything to be inspired by it.
You spelled Breath of The Wild wrong, or did you miss all those "What can game X learn from BotW" threads for a year straight

Oct 29, 2017
Overrated is such a stupid god damn word.

Never understood how people could get up in arms over how much people enjoy things they don't. It's kinda pathetic.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Bloodborne. The Soulsborne games are very intiguing and unique but also have a lot of major flaws that people like to ignore completely for some reason.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that God of War is not an option. Still one of the GOAT.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne seems conveniently missing from the list, though to be fair it wasn't Game of the Year anyways.

But neither was Metal Gear Solid V, so it feels like an odd omission.

Status
Not open for further replies.