• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
news.xbox.com

A Closer Look at How Xbox Series X|S Integrates Full AMD RDNA 2 Architecture - Xbox Wire

We here at Team Xbox would like to congratulate and celebrate our amazing partners at AMD on today’s announcement of the Radeon RX 6000 Series of RDNA 2 GPUs. It was incredible to see AMD demonstrate the power and potential that the new AMD RDNA 2 architecture can deliver to gamers around the...

We here at Team Xbox would like to congratulate and celebrate our amazing partners at AMD on today's announcement of the Radeon RX 6000 Series of RDNA 2 GPUs. It was incredible to see AMD demonstrate the power and potential that the new AMD RDNA 2 architecture can deliver to gamers around the globe. AMD continues to be an industry leader in CPU and GPU innovation, bringing next-generation capabilities to the PC, console and cloud.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch to PS5. This explains why Sony was so secretive.

So no VRS and mesh shaders in PS5 it looks like?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
To me it reads like "Sampler Feedback is part of RDNA2, only Xbox has Sample Feedback, therefore only Xbox has 'full' RDNA2."

Also good to see this: "improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution."

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of insiders claimed it was. I guess not lol

Hmm... IIRC. some insiders, when asked on specific features, said PS5 had equivalents, but hinted that they might be different implementations. And hinted that people were getting caught up in fairly meaningless delineations about what was or wasn't 'RDNA2'.

For example, re. VRS, looking at the patent literature, it seems Sony may have gone about it in a pretty different way.

In the end, per AMD the PS5 chip is 'RDNA2', but Sony has done a couple of things their own way.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh... so huh.
What exactly are they suggesting the PS5 has missing from full RDNA 2 specification? Is it just VRS?

Oct 27, 2017
I would need a list of all the Rdna2 features each have to really determine the validity or impact of that statement. Do we have a running list?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do these spicy threads get created just as im about to go gym?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
By "Full" features, I think they mean things like VRS and DirectML or some variant of DLSS.

Neither of which Sony have officially commented on.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
PS5 is RDNA2 based, but Sony has their own custom implementations. It's not 1:1 to RDNA2 that AMD has on PC. MS using their smart wording again to attract some console warriors.

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't insiders saying they have their own techniques for RDNA2 like features? I'm confused why this is shocking or a big deal in any way.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This Tweet is spicy enough to make me wonder if it's a "technically true but unimportant" distinction, or has some substance behind it. I'd lean toward the former.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Through close collaboration and partnership between Xbox and AMD, not only have we delivered on this promise, we have gone even further introducing additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution."

Possibly referencing AMD's DLSS alternative?