• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird that this is the first place I thought of when my wife and I began discussing it.

My son loves Miles, loves Spider-Man, and loves the character and the aesthetics of the costume. We want to respect all of the kids who are excited to have a superhero that looks like them, while making clear to our son that it's okay to love a hero that looks different than him.

Obviously, the simplest form of the question is: Can my white son dress up as a black character for Halloween?

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
As long as he doesn't do blackface I don't see the issue. I'd be comfortable with black kids dressing as regular Spidey, or Batman or something. Then again I'm white, so idk

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
As long as you aren't doing blackface or something stupid like that - I don't think anyone is going to have a problem with your kid wearing a Spider-Man suit.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just wear his superhero costume? Like, why would you think that's potentially offensive

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't put blackface makeup on him and it'll be fine. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

Kids of every race have been Peter Parker's Spider-Man for decades.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I think you should maybe make sure he's saying he's Spider-Man, rather than that he's Miles, but if he's just wearing the Miles version of the suit I don't think many would mind that. His face is covered and 95% of people are just going to see Spider-Man rather than the specific Spider-Man.

Warning: I'm white so take my take on this with a grain of salt.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Y'all applying black face or something lol?

If not, the Black Delegation says yes. Send your request in and you'll have formal approval before Halloween. Being the year of our lord Montero has us backed up a little

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Lol imagine being black growing up in the west trying to avoid dressing up as a
white characters for Halloween 😂

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I think the above answers got it covered and it was actually a good question to ask. Just get him the costume with no blackface/afro wig/awkwafina voice and it will be fine.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Two of my boys want to go as Peter and Miles together. My middle son absolutely adores Miles since he too is named Miles, so he's super excited to have a Spider-Man with his name regardless of whether or not he looks the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.