• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
It started with an unexpected call last week from Lynne Patton, a longtime Trump associate who oversees federal housing programs in New York.

Ms. Patton told a leader of a tenants' group at the New York City Housing Authority, the nation's largest, that she was interested in speaking with residents about conditions in the authority's buildings, which have long been in poor repair.

Four tenants soon assembled in front of a video camera and were interviewed for more than four hours by Ms. Patton herself. Three of the tenants were never told that their interviews would be edited into a two-minute video clip that would air prominently on Thursday night at the Republican National Convention and be used to bash Mayor Bill de Blasio, the three tenants said in interviews on Friday.

"I am not a Trump supporter," said one of the tenants, Claudia Perez. "I am not a supporter of his racist policies on immigration. I am a first-generation Honduran. It was my people he was sending back."

The episode represents another stark example of how President Trump has deployed government resources to further his political ambitions. Ms. Patton is head of the New York office of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and under the Hatch Act is barred from using her government position to engage in political activities.

The public housing clip was the second instance of the Trump campaign's misleading participants in an event involving the federal government that was filmed for the Republican National Convention. On Tuesday, the convention showed a video of five new American citizens being sworn in at a naturalization ceremony by Mr. Trump. Some of the five said they did not know that they were being filmed for a political event.

www.nytimes.com

N.Y.C. Tenants Say They Were Tricked Into Appearing in R.N.C. Video (Published 2020)

“I am not a Trump supporter,” one of the tenants said, adding that she was furious that her interview with a government official was used for the convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.