• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I currently have a PS5 and only have one controller. I have two PS4 controllers. If want to play either It Takes Two or Little Big Planet on my PS5 with my partner I have to make sure I download the PS4 versions and not the PS5 version.

Now the PS5 version of It Takes Two from what I understand is just a higher res and fps with no other enhancements. Great! If this had just been released as a PS4 game with PS5 high res and fps enhancements, which many games do, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Releasing a PS5 only version literally just means it's going to cost me over 100 bucks if I want to play this with my partner.

Currently I don't even think there are any couch coop PS5 only games....so what the hell do I need another PS5 controller for?

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
in case one breaks

edit: might as well play it safe and get a 2nd ps5 too in case it breaks

edit2: actually that might not be enough, i think it's best to default to the 3-2-1 backup methodology- 3 copies, on 2 different media (i guess that means both regular and discless PS5) and one offsite

you can store the offsite one at my house for the time being im ok with it

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Releasing a PS5 only version literally just means it's going to cost me over 100 bucks if I want to play this with my partner.

Going by this logic, you should have just stuck with the PS4 in general, since you spent 500$ on a console that currently mostly just has cross-gen games.

Now, the counterargument to this is that it's also an investment for future ninth gen exclusive games. But the thing is....so would a second controller. It wouldn't be 50 extra dollars spent on that one game, it would be 50 extra dollars spent on the experience of ever playing couch co-op on your PS5 at all, at any point in the future.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
You can co-op the PS5 version of It Takes Two with one DualSense and a Dualshock 4.

By using remote play on your phone with the ds4 (and you can just watch your TV, ofcourse).
It is al little bit of a hassle, but it works well enough for us..!

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Exact same scenario. Want to play It Takes Two with my friend but I'm not selling out $70 just for a controller when I have four DualShock 4's that I not only like better, but already paid for and would work fine. Honestly thinking of just selling the PS5 altogether. The experience has been awful for me all around

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's silly.

in case one breaks

edit: might as well play it safe and get a 2nd ps5 too in case it breaks

edit2: actually that might not be enough, i think it's best to default to the 3-2-1 backup methodology- 3 copies, on 2 different media (i guess that means both regular and discless PS5) and one offsite

you can store the offsite one at my house for the time being im ok with it

Everything ok my guy? :p

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
When a new system come out I buy it and 2 controllers. You know you will need the second one at some point. One charging, while using one, another player.
I feel like systems should just come with 2 still

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Ooof maybe I should get a second controller. I love getting a second controller that's in cool fun colors. For PS4 I have the translucent and the PS1 anniversary controller. For PS5 should I get the white controller, the white controller, or wait a few weeks for the single red one?

Nov 18, 2017
people telling OP to just buy a second controller are completely missing the point.

that is absurd and your right to be frustrated by it OP. especially as the remote play workaround proves there is no good reason that PS4 controllers cant work on PS5, its literally just to get you to cough up for another controller.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Ooof maybe I should get a second controller. I love getting a second controller that's in cool fun colors. For PS4 I have the translucent and the PS1 anniversary controller. For PS5 should I get the white controller, the white controller, or wait a few weeks for the single red one?

Nope, do not accept this kind of corporate BS as a norm and support it. It's been under hour from OP to this point

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Yup, the whole thing is inexcusable and wasteful when you can disable the features at a system level or use a dualshock 4 through remote play.

Also it's hurtful to accessibility because there are people who use modified dualshock 4's that now don't natively work purely so Sony cam sell more Dualsense controllers.

It's something Sony should absolutely be getting criticism for because maybe if enough people speak up they will actually change it.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
people telling OP to just buy a second controller are completely missing the point.

that is absurd and your right to be frustrated by it OP. especially as the remote play workaround proves there is no good reason that PS4 controllers cant work on PS5, its literally just to get you to cough up for another controller.
There's the red and black colours coming out this month https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...oller-colors-hit-shelves-starting-next-month/ but for the more funky ones we'll have to wait a while I'm afraid.

I agree it's complete bullshit on Sony's part!

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Exact same scenario. Want to play It Takes Two with my friend but I'm not selling out $70 just for a controller when I have four DualShock 4's that I not only like better, but already paid for and would work fine. Honestly thinking of just selling the PS5 altogether. The experience has been awful for me all around
So you're complaining about having to buy another ps5 controller but you bought FOUR controllers for your ps4? Mmmkay. Yeah if you're having that bad of an experience you should definitely sell it, millions of people chomping at the bit for one.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
You can co-op the PS5 version of It Takes Two with one DualSense and a Dualshock 4.

By using remote play on your phone with the ds4 (and you can just watch your TV, ofcourse).
It is al little bit of a hassle, but it works well enough for us..!
Yeah this is ultimately what I think I'm going to do

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
it's dumb, but if the other thread is any indication the defense force will call you unreasonable for it so nothing will ever change

Status
Not open for further replies.