• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Lambda Variant identified also in South Africa? I think this is the same one as Lambda...

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
Linking relevant news to a world wide pandemic isn't doom posting its reality. Would you rather shove your head in a rock and not know what's going on?

huh, i wasn't trying to say you were doomposting by posting this thread lol i was only stating that these type of news (which are extremely relevant) make it hard not to be fucking depressed and "doompost"

sorry if it came out as dismissive and i know a lot of people on here do that 😂

OP
OP

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
huh, i wasn't trying to say you were doomposting by posting this thread lol i was only stating that these type of news (which are extremely relevant) make it hard not to be fucking depressed and "doompost"

sorry if it came out as dismissive and i know a lot of people on here do that 😂

my apologies then for not understanding your point of view on the post.

Jul 7, 2021
This is what viruses do. They mutate all the time. Most mutations aren't an issue but some may make it more virulent or otherwise more problematic for us.

Once this thing made the jump from animal to human it, it might never leave.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
The question is whether it's infectious enough to win out over the Delta variant.

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't Lambda Variant identified also in South Africa? I think this is the same one as Lambda...

Apparently it's not the same as Lamda, but closer to it than other C.1 variants.

C.1.2 is highly mutated compared to C.1, and all other VOC and VOI identified to date. Researchers revealed that C.1.2 is phylogenetically more close to the Lambda variant (C.37).

Potential variant of interest in South Africa assigned to the PANGO lineage C.1.2

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it mutated in a good way... like it just likes to fight crime and eat pizza

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
Until there's a variant that actually poses significant risk to vaccinated individuals, I think people need to calm down with their worries every time we get these reports. It's unhealthy to stress about something that likely isn't happening

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
A not peer reviewed, not even printed yet study about a variant with "significant mutations" (whatever that even means), with no information on risks, if it breaks through vaccines, how contagious it is, how serious it is, etc

Just a lot of "may do this" or "may be a concern"

Coop

Jan 9, 2020
That's like the 159th deadly doomsday variant that people here like to post

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually we'll just go with roman numerals to track how many variants. Greek alphabet can only go so far.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For everyone saying it will never end: it will lead to the development of innovations that will ultimately bring an end to it all, at worst other than for those who refuse to take whatever would prevent or neutralize an infection. There are traits common to all viruses that could be targeted.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If this worries you, put your phone to sleep and play some games. There's literally no information here concrete enough to justify causing stress. Something to keep an eye on, but as of right now it needs to pass by many eyes much more intelligent than any of us before we need to pay attention

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
These type of articles get post on Reddit every few days. Very few (hopefully none) will end up true. It is all "what-if" about a new variant. Way too early to know what is going to happen.
Not ripping on you OP, just an FYI to everyone to wait for more studies.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Honestly? The news is numbing at this point. Just going to keep on doing the best we can to ensure they we try and take precautions and that's it.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Expected since it's not completely under control anywhere on the planet. Just need to keep being safe and sanitary.

The world we live in now is a world of Covid, it isn't going to disappear. Just have to accept it. The world you knew 2 years ago is done.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Viruses tend to mutate to become less virulent, so mutations in and of themselves aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Well this is unfortunate… when does this shit end? If this was already posted my apologies I didn't see anything in search.

m.jpost.com

New COVID variant detected in South Africa, most mutated variant so far

The C.1.2 variant first detected in South Africa is more mutated compared to the original virus than any other known variant.

It doesn't end. Coronavirus COVID-19 variants will be around for ages now. But if we all get vaccinated it's more like seasonal flu in impact.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Linking relevant news to a world wide pandemic isn't doom posting its reality. Would you rather shove your head in a rock and not know what's going on?
This is a still a pre-print article awaiting peer review. Generally, these threads have been getting locked until the manuscript has actually been reviewed and published.

Oct 28, 2017
This forum has an issue of new COVID news being posted and the first like 10-20 responses being "WE'RE ALL DOOMED!"

"Most mutated" means very little as a descriptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.