• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Apple unveiled its new iPhone models on Tuesday -- but while some tech fans applauded the new phones' design and specifications and others weighed in on their pricing, another feature has caught the eye of trypophobia sufferers everywhere.

The Pro and Pro Max phones feature three camera lenses. And while the design is likely to appeal to photography fans, some social media users say it is triggering their trypophobia -- an intense, irrational fear of small holes and clusters of circles and bumps, such as those in a honeycomb, lotus flower or bubble bath.

Research into trypophobia is limited. Geoff Cole, a visual scientist at the University of Essex in the UK, told CNN that while it might seem "a little bit odd" for people to feel uncomfortable at the sight of holes clustered together, for people with trypophobia, the images can cause a range of reactions, with varying levels of severity.

According to research from the University of Essex, "the phobia arises in part because the inducing stimuli share basic visual characteristics with those of dangerous organisms."
Trypophobic images generally display "high (color) contrast at mid-range spatial frequencies" -- cycling from bright to dark three or four times per centimeter, seen at arm's length -- and have a "very unique spectral composition (brightness and contrast), something you don't see in the natural world -- except in poisonous animals," Cole told CNN.
Cole said his research had shown that 16% of the UK's adult population found the image of a lotus seed pod -- considered a typical trypophobic image -- "uncomfortable or repulsive to look at."
CNN has contacted Apple for comment.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Saw this yesterday and looked up a few example images. I honestly think they look cool and fascinating, not creepy.

But I'm definitely getting an emotional response so I can see why it triggers feelings in people. The brain is weird, man.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i wish they were designed to intentionally look as fucked up as possible in that way, if so i would have a reason to upgrade

Oct 27, 2017
First Rule of Apple Holes: Stop Buying

The design is great, even as an Android user I like what Apple puts out

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
iphone-11-1568217790.png

I remember a few years ago there was a new hire and he had a fear of balloons. We couldn't have balloons for birthdays. That's really the whole story. I just don't know what life would be like having that fear, but then again, how often do I see balloons? Anyway, all trypophobia does for me is prompt image searches for fucked up trypophobia shit.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah looking at lotus seed pods gives me goosebumps and a weird feeling of uneasiness. It's even weirder with those photoshopped pictures of people using them with human skin... :/

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this, there is something off-putting about to the design to me and I couldn't put my finger on why.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah looking at lotus seed pods gives me goosebumps and a weird feeling of uneasiness. It's even weirder with those photoshopped pictures of people using them with human skin... :/

Those photoshops fucked me up pretty bad a couple of years ago, I kinda had to train myself to deal with it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I have mild trypophobia I guess, small holes close together or bumps makes my skin crawl and I could not tell you why. Its not bad enough to impact my day to day but I definitely feel creeped out.

That phone has no effect on me though.

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm one of the very few people who is the opposite and LIKE general hole patterns... trypophillia is a thing, I discovered years ago.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
I have mild trypophobia I guess, small holes close together or bumps makes my skin crawl and I could not tell you why. Its not bad enough to impact my day to day but I definitely feel creeped out.

That phone has no effect on me though.

Same I can look at the Mac Pro and iPhone without feeling anything but organic material makes me feeling queasy with goosebumps.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People with a phobia of spiders?
Just fill the thread with spiders and laugh.

People with trypophobia?
Moderators actually editing comments to put things in spoilers.

Whole thing is bizarre.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Isn't this some made up phobia from 4chan anyway they look like the eyes of those teeny dancing spiders
Trypophobia is not recognized by name as a mental disorder, and so is not a specific diagnosis in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Fifth Edition (DSM-5). However, it may fall under the broad category of specific phobia if the fear is excessive, persistent, and associated with significant distress or impairment.
Whether trypophobia can be accurately described as a specific phobia might depend on whether the person mainly responds with fear or with disgust. Because phobias involve fear, a response to trypophobic imagery that is based mostly or solely on disgust renders its status as a specific phobia questionable. In one study, most of the participants with trypophobia met the DSM-5 criteria for specific phobia, even though they experienced disgust instead of fear when shown imagery of clusters of holes; however, they did not meet the distress or impairment criterion.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
You can raise awareness about an issue without intentionally triggering people's phobias.

It's a computer, and you're not raising awareness like this is some ethical awareness battle, you're sharing easily the stupidest article that CNN has published today.

I'm grossed out by the pimple popping craze. But if someone has a thread titled "Pimple Popping Prompts Posters to Purge!" I'm... not clicking that thread because I find pimple popping gross. Just like holes in people's skin is gross to me too, gives me the heebeegeebees... like a nasty ass fungus or flesh eating bacteria.

Plus, one person responded that, no, the Mac Pro does not produce trypophobia. So, let's go, macs all day

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't have a phobia but googling images that trigger trypophobia really mess me up, my brains goes immediate "PANIC" mode haha

Status
Not open for further replies.