• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
A new poll finds that if Canadians could vote in the U.S. election, nearly eight in 10 would choose one of the five leading Democratic presidential hopefuls over Republican President Donald Trump.

The Abacus Data online survey of 1,500 adult Canadians finds that 79 per cent would prefer former vice president Joe Biden or Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont over Trump. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren would be preferred by 78 per cent. California Sen. Kamala Harris and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg are preferred by 77 per cent over Trump. In all cases, Trump would get just 21 to 23 per cent of the Canadian vote.

Asked which Democrat they prefer, 46 per cent of the Canadians polled said they didn't know. Those with a preference were most likely to pick Sanders (17 per cent), followed by Biden (15 per cent), Warren (nine per cent), Harris (eight per cent) and Buttigieg (five per cent).

The poll found that Conservative Party supporters lean toward Biden, although a sizeable minority prefer Trump. Harris and Warren had elevated levels of support among Liberal Party voters. Green Party and New Democratic Party voters leaned toward Sanders, Abacus said.

"In Canada, Trump appears to be somewhat divisive among Conservatives, which may pose some challenges for Conservative political leaders," said Bruce Anderson in a press release. "Most of their supporters are uncomfortable with the U.S. President, but a sizable minority appear to endorse Trump's approach."

The survey isn't the first to find Democrats are preferred by Republicans in Canada. An Abacus poll of 2,000 Canadians taken in May 2016 found 80 per cent of Canadians preferred Hillary Clinton over Trump while 82 per cent preferred Sanders over Trump.

In June 2016, just after Clinton clinched the nomination, a Mainstreet Research survey of just over 2,000 Canadians found that 73 per cent of them would choose Clinton, 15 per cent would choose Trump and 12 per cent were undecided about whom they would pick

The margin of error for a comparable probability-based random sample of 1,500 people is +/- 2.6%, 19 times out of 20, according to Abacus. he data were weighted according to census data to ensure that the sample matched Canada's population according to age, gender, educational attainment, and region, they say.

Well, this matches up with my worldview. Uncle Bernie always seemed more Canadian than American to me. Considering how close Vermont is to the border, and how often he references Canada, he must spend quite a bit of time in our neck of the woods. He should have won in 2016, if the corporate Dems hadn't fixed things to get Hilary as the one on the ballot.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Well yeah, Republicans are an insane party to most people outside of the U.S.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I really do need to move. I don't want to, but goddamn, this country right now compared to THAT country.

Yes yes I know, some voat asshole is yelling at the screen "then move lib!"
Conveniently forgetting the 8 years they cursed Obama and what he was doing with America and wanting something better "for them".

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Democrats are already kinda right-leaning compared to what we have here. Republicans are a damn near extremist party in comparison.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no shit Canada wouldn't vote for Trump.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean American politics is so far right compared to most of the western world and the Democrats are the least right (although they're pretty right wing anyway) so if you asked this question to most western countries you'd have the same answer.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
ha, was in georgina/keswick, ON last weekend which is 96% white and waspy and saw a teen kid biking around wearing a trump/america shirt. so they do exist here. but even that 20% is too high

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I mean yeah, most of the shit Republicans say would put them straight on the list for domestic intelligence surveillance where I live lol

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine this is true for a large population of voters in the US. It's just that a very specific voting block outnumbers everybody else.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I really do need to move. I don't want to, but goddamn, this country right now compared to THAT country.

Conveniently forgetting the 8 years they cursed Obama and what he was doing with America and wanting something better "for them".

Those people also never understand that actually moving to another country is much tougher than simply getting in your car and driving there.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

I still find it fucking insane how against Obama, people in the US were, even amongst his own party. He was a President that was not made for the current America, and the country itself was decades away from being (or possibly maybe never) ready for someone like him. He would have fit in just fine up north though, similar to Bernie. We fucking loved him. I mean, look at this, this is our government's House of Commons. Both sides of the "aisle" so to speak:

Democrats are already kinda right-leaning compared to what we have here. Republicans are a damn near extremist party in comparison.

Yeah, this has always surprised me how the Dems aren't even as much left leaning as our equivalents. The Republicans would be like Greece's Golden Dawn.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
It'll only get better for them when they put down the pill bottle and realize that voting conservative is against their best interests. But they're too proud to admit it so the cycle continues.

Morgenstern

Oct 28, 2017
Repeating some posts above, it's troubling that it isn't 10 out of 10. I think the Democratic party sits more on right side of the political spectrum than our Progressive Conservative party

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Those people also never understand that actually moving to another country is much tougher than simply getting in your car and driving there.
Right for me it would be pretty much impossible, what I really want is just a better America. But that makes me a traitor to America and I should move back! No wait I'm White, I'm just using my free speech. Carry on.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Considering the Democrats, from Biden to Sanders, basically cover the range of conservative over liberal to social democratic in most other western countries, and the Republicans (first an foremost, Trump) fill the populist far right bill, I would definitely expect the current day Republicans to achieve 20% or less in most western countries. Then again, France or Austria have pretty big shares for their far right populist parties right now, so maybe that is a bit optimistic...

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Last statistic I saw Trump was at around 10% approval rating in Germany.
Bushs approval was similar, though. Even Trump is surely more vividly terrible, its not like standard Republican views see any more support here.

It adds up with the German party landscape, where only one party is even remotely as right wing as Republicans and thats the far right AfD(between 10-15% of the votes). That said, even the AfD supports a strong welfare state, if they would start a fight against universal healthcare and free education they would fall below 10% in no time.

One thing I don't believe many Americans are aware of is just how far to the right of any other developed nations they are.
Even mainstream democrats are still way more right wing than European center right parties. At least economically speaking. Social liberalism is more comparable between the US and the EU, though. But there we have the different that social conservatism exists in the US, while it is considered unconstitutional in most European countries. I mean, you can hold these values if you want, but trying to enforce them politically would be unconstitutional.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
did they do a poll about how canadians feel about the attawapiskat not having clean water and the canadian government's response

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Our "conservatives" are closer to Democrats.

I see lots of American conservatives laughing at people who call themselves conservative in Canada while enjoying public healthcare and putting up with high taxes.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly due to what see we see daily on the news of how fucking stupid Trump is

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In a world where we annexed Canada, Republicans would still chop it up so it's and even split in representation.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even the most staunch conservatives I talk to here view Trump as a complete nut job and an embarrassment.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I mean your Republican politicians are viewed as genuine crazies outside of the US.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I find it disconcerting that 2 and a half years in, we have 20% of the population ok with what Trump stands for. The distribution of vote strength in Canada could give that 20% more authority than they deserve and those tend to be the type that always vote.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Trump and Doug Ford could be a short term benefit to Canada, if it fucks up Scheer and kills the Conservative party in the upcoming elections. Even with Ford on a 5 month vacation, he continues to fuck up. And Trump will likely do something more to piss off Canadians between now and the end of October.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well yeah, Canadians are sane people for the most part. US Republicans are not fit for power in any way shape or form. The fact that americans vote for these fuckwits is mind boggling for about everyone else with half a brain in the rest of the world.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made this map in Microsoft Paint about a decade ago (hence why Michigan and Pennsylvania aren't swing states, and Virginia and Colorado are). If Canada joins the U.S. it's very difficult for a Republican to win the Presidency again. This map was made assuming Canada joins as one state, instead of of the 10 provinces becoming 10 new states. If the 10 provinces did become individual states it would mean upwards of 20 new Democratic Senators and more electoral votes, enough electoral votes to not need any midwestern swing state to win (Virginia or Colorado would be enough).

46523223441_294c394c16_b.jpg

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The only issue is of that 80%, they are split between Liberals, Green, NDP, and the slightly right-leaning Canadian (who often switch between Liberals and Conservatives and usually just favours those that speak to economic & tax issues - ignoring rest of the platform)

So that hardcore racist selfish 20% of Canada ends up actually making a big difference in elections because if enough of the slightly right-leaning / heavy moderate Canadian swings conservatives to put conservative numbers up to 35% from 20%, it's enough for Liberals, NDP, and Greens to split the vote enough to lose.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I made this map in Microsoft Paint about a decade ago (hence why Michigan and Pennsylvania aren't swing states, and Virginia and Colorado are). If Canada joins the U.S. it's very difficult for a Republican to win the Presidency again. This map was made assuming Canada joins as one state, instead of of the 10 provinces becoming 10 new states. If the 10 provinces did become individual states it would mean upwards of 20 new Democratic Senators and more electoral votes, enough electoral votes to not need any midwestern swing state to win (Virginia or Colorado would be enough).

46523223441_294c394c16_b.jpg

Oh shit, we could be like the fucking equalizer in any nonsensical debate. Honestly, it would make total sense though if Cali, New York, Minnesota, Vermont and other similar or geographically similar states joined up with the North.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Trump and Doug Ford could be a short term benefit to Canada, if it fucks up Scheer and kills the Conservative party in the upcoming elections. Even with Ford on a 5 month vacation, he continues to fuck up. And Trump will likely do something more to piss off Canadians between now and the end of October.

We still have the problem of the left vote being split between the Liberals, Greens and NDP whereas the Conservatives have that 35% base that will.vote for them even if they run a pylon for Prime Minister.

Actually with Scheer they do have a pylon.

Status
Not open for further replies.