• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

New York's Roosevelt Hotel to close after nearly 100 years due to the coronavirus pandemic

The Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan cites the coronavirus pandemic and slowdown in the hospitality industry as reasons for the closure.

Since 1924, the Roosevelt Hotel has been a witness to history.
The New York City landmark was the election headquarters for Gov. Thomas Dewey when he incorrectly announced he defeated Harry Trumanin the 1948 presidential election. It has served as the backdrop for movies such as "The Irishman" and it helped start a New Year's Eve tradition.

A fixture of the Manhattan skyline, the hotel boasts elegant architecture and is minutes away from Times Square and Grand Central Terminal.

But now, The Roosevelt Hotel will no longer bear witness to motion pictures or moments in history.

The hotel will permanently close its doors this year, a spokesperson told CNN in a statement.
"Due to the current, unprecedented environment and the continued uncertain impact from COVID-19, the owners of The Roosevelt Hotel have made the difficult decision to close the hotel and the associates were notified this week," the statement read. "The iconic hotel, along with most of New York City, has experienced very low demand and as a result the hotel will cease operations before the end of the year. There are currently no plans for the building beyond the scheduled closing."
Named after President Theodore Roosevelt, the hotel has also been seen in films including "Maid in Manhattan," "Malcolm X" and "Wall Street."
In addition, it was at the Roosevelt Hotel Grill in 1929 where Guy Lombardo first broadcast "Auld Lang Syne" on New Year's Eve.

I've stayed here and I love this hotel. It's been in a ton of movies and it's crazy to me that it's now going to be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.