• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to invest in NFT content?

• Yes, I have already

• Yes, I will when I see something that speaks to me

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Seems like something for people with more disposable income than I have to mess with, especially considering that I think I understand what it is but can not even begin to fathom why anyone would ever spend money on it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
We had a thread like this the other day

Just gonna copy paste my response:

--

The idea of digital collectibles like what VeVe is doing is very sound and will be a mainstay in the coming years but NFTs as they stand with shit like BAYC are ponzis. Pure and simple.

I get where the environment concerns come from. It's a shame that the biggest collections are on Ethereum and I don't see that changing for a while. But there's progress being made in the space with NBA Top Shot (second-largest NFT marketplace) being built on top of Flow which is way better than Ethereum for the environment.

I can see a scenario where primary mints are done on Ethereum whereas supplementary drops are done on more eco-friendly chains (Solana, Polygon etc).

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are they still horrible for the environment or have they made it more economic?

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
As if the vast majority of people here are even somewhat well-informed on the matter. Better off just spending the time and doing your own research on it rather than asking here.

Crow

Oct 25, 2017
Not super into the space but I have a few NBA Top Shots. Though I've bought enough Dota skins that I'll probably get into some NFTs sooner than later.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Literally just said this in the Disney thread but they're virtual Beanie Babies.

People are pumping money into them at the moment because they're speculating that they'll be super valuable in the future, partly because of scarcity and partly because they're art (apparently?). But just like Beanie Babies, eventually the market will realise that there's actually no demand, that there's more people who are buying than want to sell and the whole thing will collapse on itself.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's cool and has potential. The concept of digital ownership absent a central authority is neat. There's a ton of scammers and hustlers in it now though since BAYC and Beeple took off (not saying those two are scams, they're not, but the scammers saw $$$ with the popularity rise of those two recently). Hopefully the dust settles at some point and these folks move on to something else.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Beyond idiotic. You don't "own" anything beyond an entry in a pointless blockchain when you buy one. There's no grant of copyright or any form of copy protection for the digital "asset" your stupid ass just "bought".

I have zero respect for anyone who spends money on an NFT.

I think it's cool and has potential. The concept of digital ownership absent a central authority is neat. There's a ton of scammers and hustlers in it now though since BAYC and Beeple took off (not saying those two are scams, they're not, but the scammers saw $$$ with the popularity rise of those two recently). Hopefully the dust settles at some point and these folks move on to something else.
NFTs do not provide the bolded, no matter how much people try to claim they do. You own a token, that is literally it. They do not confer any legal ownership of whatever the thing it points at is.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I'm knee deep in crypto but I don't do NFT's personally. There will be useful use cases, but the JPG apes are a bubble inside a bubble.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a investment in an nft but I am invested in the networks they operate on. I'm cool with them. They only have value because people determine that they have value. Simple as that for me.

I'm knee deep in crypto but I don't do NFT's personally. There will be useful use cases, but the JPG apes are a bubble inside a bubble.

Pretty much. Like anything else.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Negative. Supporting NFTs is up there on the list of things that makes me immediately decide somebody is not worth associating with.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Reintroducing property in a system whose one of the good sides was somehow the lack of property.
Big carbon impact.
Big speculative bubble.

Nah, that's capitalist shit.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Good lord these threads.

In any case I understand what they are, but have no interest in it myself.

Will they continue to grow? Possibly. Peoples arguments about how they are a fad and will collapse are the same arguments they made about Bitcoin etc, and here we are 13 years later with Bitcoin ETFs on the market. So who knows, it will depend on how things shake out.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
It's more stupid than cryptocurrency. I think I understand the concept, I just can't comprehend why it exists.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hell no. I know how to make money without this garbage.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
People who buy NFT are selfish and greedy who don't give a damn for the environment.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
As of right now: definitely not!

Time will tell, but I'm still holding the position that it can't be a sustainable, long-term solution to trade digital art.

Now it's new, and some people with a lot of disposable income are excited enough about it to dump large sums of money into the concept, but I can't see this last for long. From my perspective, the whole thing just doesn't work on a fundamental level. The intent is good, but the solution is wrong. You can't recreate the scarcity of the physical art world that way. It doesn't work.

That's my perspective anyway.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate them. Hate everyone that buys an NFT. Literally, if you buy an NFT you do not belong into my life.

Sadly it'll be very hard to boycott NFTs because big corporations are ALL gonna jump on it.. sigh..

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It has been a shockingly effective way to turn what is essentially a database entry into a collectable. It's such a weird thing and I'm not surprised to see so many big companies hop onto it because it's an easy way to make a buck from gullible idiots with FOMO who just want to collect things even if the thing isn't something tangible. The whole "investing" in them and selling them for huge amounts of money is MLM shit and hopefully that bubble bursts sooner than later.

I don't think the idea is necessarily the worst thing in the world but right now it's a solution in search of a problem and the problem it has mostly found is "how can we scam money out of people?"

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Beyond idiotic. You don't "own" anything beyond an entry in a pointless blockchain when you buy one. There's no grant of copyright or any form of copy protection for the digital "asset" your stupid ass just "bought".

I have zero respect for anyone who spends money on an NFT.

NFTs do not provide the bolded, no matter how much people try to claim they do. You own a token, that is literally it. They do not confer any legal ownership of whatever the thing it points at is.
I never said anything about legal ownership. It's a concept of digital ownership, that's it. You hate it, we got it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I got a few during that DC event a couple weeks back. I didn't pay for them, so it's whatever. Maybe they'll be worth something some day but I doubt it. I got a legendary batwoman one.

Status
Not open for further replies.