• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, during a Q&A with investors during Nintendo's financial results, there was something very interesting that was once again reiterated by Nintendo. A Investor made a question regarding female employees at Nintendo (not subsidiaries or affiliated companies, I think) and Shinya Takahashi (Currently General Manager of Nintendo EPD and Director at the board), Miyamoto (Creative Fellow and Representative Director) and Shiota (General manager of Nintendo PTD and director at the board) answered the question

Female gamers are growing in number year after year, but what is the proportion of female employees in your hardware and software development departments?

Takahashi: There are many female developers in the software development departments. Especially, there are many design works involved in developing software, and very high number of females among our designers. Many of them have children, and we have created an environment to work with comfort even for those who have children. I think that it is a very good workplace where women can participate actively and find satisfaction in their work.

Miyamoto: There are also many females actively involved in development. The director of the Animal Crossing series is a woman, and there are many female designers working actively. When I had chances to look at other development companies in Europe and the US, they give the impression that theyʼre overwhelmingly male-dominated. Compared to companies like that, Nintendo has a lot of female developers energetically working.

Shiota: This is a common issue in Japan that there is not a high percentage of female workers in engineering professions like hardware development and systems development. And itʼs true in our company that compared to software development, the percentage of female workers in hardware development is low. However, Nintendoʼs work includes approach to unique technologies, so I believe the proportion of female employees could potentially change in the future.

Source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190208e.pdf

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's great to hear. women being held back (for whatever reason) in positions at hardware development is unfortunate, but having more and more women involved in game development (specially those at higher positions) is a great way to decrease toxic elements that are so common in video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.