• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Do you guys think Nintendo should make realistic looking games like Alan Wake or RDR to appeal to a wider audience?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid is close enough.
I don't think they're all aimed at kids either, more like a general audience.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
No.

They haven't in 30 years of developing games, no reason to believe they'll start now. Metroid Prime is about as "gritty" and "realistic" as you can expect from them.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
LoL is cartoony and its the most played game ever

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
3rd party games are more than enough to fill that role.

Anyway, I think the OP is talking about the artstyle in general. They're all cartoon/anime style, so it's fair if the average joe look at the cover arts in a glance they probably think they're all "kids games", which we all know not true at all. The content are completely aimed for different groups of people.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if Nintendo will approve some of Monolithsoft's non Xenoblade pitches, but honestly their games are largely aimed at everyone, the widest audience they can realistically obtain

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Debate is like 20+ years old now.

My guess is ... nope. Nintendo is who they are and you either accept that or you don't, because they're not changing.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I hope not. Nintendo's cartoony "kids games" are way more fun than everyone else's realistic "grown up" to me.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Maybe if Nintendo will approve some of Monolithsoft's non Xenoblade pitches, but honestly their games are largely aimed at everyone, the widest audience they can realistically obtain
I mean, nobody said those pitches were of the toned-down, realistic variety. Because nothing is known about them (and it's likely to remain that way) people can project a lot of their wishes onto those mystery projects.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
to humor the very '00s question, i think the N64/GCN era is about as "adult"/western centric as they'll ever get

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Also, from a technical perspective, Realistic Switch games aren't going to age well considering the power of the Switch, compare the gamecube versions of wind waker to twilight princess for example.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
The cool thing about aiming for lower age ratings and less "realism" is that everyone can play the games and still enjoy them. Breath of the Wild, Mario kart and Mario Odyssey (as a few examples) can be enjoyed by 7 year olds and their parents all the same.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, nobody said those pitches were of the toned-down, realistic variety. Because nothing is known about them (and it's likely to remain that way) people can project a lot of their wishes onto those mystery projects.
yeah, I only skimmed the post and "realistic game" and "realistic looking games" are technically different things. In some ways, Breath of the Wild is more realistic than Twilight Princess in terms of mechanics, but visually it's the complete opposite.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think Nintendo should make realistic looking games like Alan Wake or RDR to appeal to a wider audience?
I think they know that there is literally no reason they would, or should.

150 million ps4's and xboxes. 25 million copies of RDR2 sold. Game is a year old.

40 million switches, 20 million bought mario kart 8 deluxe a port. super Mario bro's u deluxe sold six million copies since Jan.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if Mario Kart wants to escape the kiddy demographic and get some decent sales for once it should start looking more like Project Gotham Racing. /s

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP just means games aimed at mature audiences. M rated stuff. They won't. However, Nintendo will continue to partner and have other studios who are more specialized in making content aimed at mature audiences for them.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
91VCXIEuh3S._SY445_.jpg

51VmdQfZDRL._SY445_.jpg

Eternal_Darkness_box__65141.1398276852.jpg

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying they should stop making games like Animal Crossing etc. but add realistic looking games to their lineup so that it appeals to the crowd not interested in cartoony games
The Switch is more powerful than the 360/PS3 but it can't compare to PS4 or let alone Next Gen for realistic stuff. Not enough raw performance. If realistic games are made for it they're not going to be to their full potential from day one.

Super Smash Bros Brawl went for a more realistic look, and it's not the only reason but a lot of people aren't the most fond of that iteration of smash. the original Xenoblade Chronicles (not the remake) went for a more realistic design approach, but it didn't have the horsepower and it sadly did not age well.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is more powerful than the 360/PS3 but it can't compare to PS4 or let alone Next Gen for realistic stuff. Not enough raw performance. If realistic games are made for it they're not going to be to their full potential from day one.

Super Smash Bros Brawl went for a more realistic look, and it's not the only reason but a lot of people aren't the most fond of that iteration of smash. the original Xenoblade Chronicles (not the remake) went for a more realistic design approach, but it didn't have the horsepower and it sadly did not age well.

I wouldn't really say that. The Witcher 3 is one of the most challenging running PS4 games, and it's doable on a Switch, it's actually a bit shocking how close they can get especially if the chip wasn't throttled.

Status
Not open for further replies.