• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• I think you are right.

Votes: 156 26.8%
  • I think you are wrong.

Votes: 224 38.5%
  • Now that I'm reading and analyzing it, I think this is the worst thread I have ever made (and I have

Votes: 202 34.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm making this thread to see if you have similar experiences. This is based on personal evidence. Your mileage may vary.

1. Nintendo games are ideal for kids, yes. Specially as their first games. Let's say... kids starting to game at 5 or 6 years.
  2. Those kids grow up, and when they reach ages between 10 or 12 years, they start to dislike "kiddie" things, specially because their friends from school make fun of those kiddie things too. They start playing M rated games because they are "mature" now.
  3. Kids turn 30 or so, and now they return to Nintendo.
My take is that real fanbase of PS4 or Xbox are not adults, but actually teenages and young adults who see kiddie things as bad. Nintendo's real market is actually the adult market.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Too many blanket statements being laid on top of each other here. Yes, Nintendo games are often ideal for kids, vs the other platforms. But are they exclusively for kids or folks over 30 purely driven by nostalgia ? Definitely not.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I think you're pretty much right, maybe generalizing a little bit. Nintendo definitely makes more family-friendly content than Sony or Microsoft. I think a lot of that is historically how companies tried to differentiate themselves from Nintendo's total market domination of family-friendly games.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I think people of any age can enjoy games from any developer, although obviously a 6 year old is less likely to enjoy Doom Eternal than a 24 year old (not that a 6 year old should be playing DE to begin with)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Every platform has games that are designed for younger and older audiences. It's also 2020 where gaming is the most popular entertainment medium.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It is for kids... and everyone else in the family.
But OP is right, Sony/MS audience is mostly young adults and it has been proved multiple time by research.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
You're right.

Nintendo is for kids.

And for families.

And for the young.

And for the old.

And for the hardcore.

And for the casual.

And for people of every nation, race, creed, gender, and sexuality.

Nintendo is for everyone.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Now that I'm reading and analyzing it, I think this is the worst thread I have ever made (and I have made some pretty bad ones before).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing nintendo games for over 30 years and never felt the need to stop because they seemed "kiddie"

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Being "kid-friendly" and "for kids" are two different things. Nintendo games like Pixar movies are "kid-friendly" in that both adults and kids can share and enjoy the experience whereas "for kids" shows like Too-Too Boy or some other Youtube shit are the sort that only kids would really enjoy barring extenuating circumstances.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I never "left" Nintendo and the best reason for that I can think of is that Nintendo games are for people who like fun.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
OP stop making clickbait thread titles please. The content in the OP is usually good enough to warrant discussion without annoying titles.

What you're describing is called nostalgia.

Bingo.

Nintendo is basically the video game equivalent of Disney. They bring you in as a kid and you always come back as you age.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
That was my experience growing up, but I'm in my 30s. Nintendo as a kid, shooters/PlayStation in high school, and then in my mid to late 20s, everyone seemed to get into Nintendo again. But that was then, and the cultural tide has really shifted. I don't think younger generations feel like this at all -- the energy and excitement about Zelda, Pokemon, Smash, etc. seems spearheaded by teenagers and folks in their 20s. This is ultimately an outdated discussion.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I mean... I think you guys are misunderstanding. I'm not saying that Nintendo is for kids.

The thread title was suppose to be sarcastic. I'm a Nintendo fan mostly. I think I ruined the thread by the title.

Jan 31, 2019
I do agree that adults come back to Nintendo. I think the nostalgia brings them back but they stay for the exquisitely crafted gameplay experiences.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
At this point I only hear "Nintendo is for kids" when someone wants to complain about strawmen or shit on Nintendo's competitors. It's pretty much a dead argument that only initially mattered when we were all teenagers (basically kids) and didn't like getting "picked on" for liking Nintendo over Sony or Microsoft. If you are over the age of 15 or 16 and a comment like that affects you in any way, you need to re-prioritize what you focus on in life.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I was probably 3 when my parents bought the NES for the family. I can't remember exactly but under 6.
Since then, I had all Nintendo consoles and SONY consoles. So I can't say this is my experience.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I think you guys are misunderstanding. I'm not saying that Nintendo is for kids.

The thread title was suppose to be sarcastic. I'm a Nintendo fan mostly. I think I ruined the thread by the title.
I get what you're saying but you're seriously the first person I've seen in years who brought up the idea so maybe it's not a common thought anymore.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo's appeal is universal. Like 0-99+
Same as Disney, Lego etc...
What's so hard to understand?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just play games I like. Don't care what console it is or what series. I have a ps4 and switch, have had most nintendo consoles, had a ps2 and ps3. Had an xbox.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The whole "nintendo is kiddy and you get made fun of for playing it if you're a teenager" seems like a very American idea.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I would describe nintendo as being for the family as opposed to kids. But still would say mainly for kids. But i still love them and im 33.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
it's not that you're super wrong or anything op, is just that what you are saying is understood since ages ago. Very few people do those takes anymore.

Apr 21, 2018

Yeah, and for people like me in my 30's, it was just a conversation that was beaten to death in the N64-GCN era.

Your age analysis reminds me of:

628cc4a596ee8612154364cd268328e8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.